Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:27 PM

327 posts, read 527,046 times

Advertisements

Greetings and Salutations!

We are planning to relocate away from Minneapolis-St Paul, where we have lived for many years. Any and all Advices on cities to consider will be much appreciated!

Here's some of what we are looking for--these are ideals, of course, so we expect to be making some trade-offs, but it's better to measure against the optimal:

* Milder winters (cold hardiness no less than 5 [avg annual low down to -20 degrees] and higher is better).

* Summers not too hot (optimal heat zone of 6 [up to 60 days/yr above 86 degrees] or less--might go to 7).

* Some humidity is okay and better than too dry.

* Metro area population of no more than 1.5 million, and probably at least 500 K.

* Cost of living, esp. housing, comparable to the Twin Cities or cheaper.

* Active humanist / freethinker community ... liberal / progressive.

* Outdoor activities; we want to live as close to the city center as we can while having a decent sized lot (at least a 1/4 to 1/3 acre) and in a neighborhood pleasant to walk around in. We like hiking, biking, and kayaking.

* Child-free, so schools irrelevant.

* No interest in team sports.

* Average to high percentage of population having graduate degrees.

* Nearby science fiction convention(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 06:11 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,027,279 times
The Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro, NC area would be perfect for you. It fits the climate zone desires with a moderate four season climate. The Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro metro area population is right around 500,000 and part of the much larger Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill metro which sits at 1.7 million and is spread out over a very wide area. The cost of living is about equal to Minneapolis-St Paul based on the cost of living comparison tools. Durham, Chapel Hill and Carrboro are quite progressive/liberal and possess one of the highest concentrations in the US of residents with advanced degrees. The area is very outdoor oriented with countless activities and places to go engage in them. Though schools aren't a factor for you, Chapel Hill and Carrboro have one of the top public school districts in the country. There's an annual Sci-Fi convention in Charlotte which is an easy two hour drive.

Carrboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Durham, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,889,888 times
NOTHING in NC has 4 seasons, sorry. 3 max

Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
Greetings and Salutations!

We are planning to relocate away from Minneapolis-St Paul, where we have lived for many years. Any and all Advices on cities to consider will be much appreciated!

Here's some of what we are looking for--these are ideals, of course, so we expect to be making some trade-offs, but it's better to measure against the optimal:

* Milder winters (cold hardiness no less than 5 [avg annual low down to -20 degrees] and higher is better).

* Summers not too hot (optimal heat zone of 6 [up to 60 days/yr above 86 degrees] or less--might go to 7).

* Some humidity is okay and better than too dry.

* Metro area population of no more than 1.5 million, and probably at least 500 K.

* Cost of living, esp. housing, comparable to the Twin Cities or cheaper.

* Active humanist / freethinker community ... liberal / progressive.

* Outdoor activities; we want to live as close to the city center as we can while having a decent sized lot (at least a 1/4 to 1/3 acre) and in a neighborhood pleasant to walk around in. We like hiking, biking, and kayaking.

* Child-free, so schools irrelevant.

* No interest in team sports.

* Average to high percentage of population having graduate degrees.

* Nearby science fiction convention(s).
Nearby science fiction conventions but no job needs?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:34 AM

kyle..., thanks for the idea; we'll check it out.

west..., if winter is the one left out, I can live with that!*

Laura..., I wish!**

* I want to be able to go for walks comfortably as close to year-round as possible. I don't like being outdoors when it's below zero. I also don't enjoy it when it's 100 degrees and 80% humidity for days on end. We are tired of MN winters and want to relocate now and get established somewhere we'd be happier spending our elder years.

** But since we don't buy lottery tickets or come from moneyed families, we both do, and will continue to, work. Actually, we both like our jobs. One of us has the good fortune to work remotely, so I guess I could have added good internet connection to our list, but that's almost enough of a given these days, and besides, very easy to check. I tried to list the most constraining and highest criteria we've come up with and prioritized so far. Oh, and the other of us provides professional services as a solo practitioner. The 'population' and 'graduate degrees' item should take care of insuring a suitable pool of clients. Though the research and subsequent bureaucracy in transferring certification to a new state will be a something less than a joy.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,674,826 times
Eugene Oregon would fit the criteria, and if you don't mind an even smaller area, Bend would be ideal (it's a liberal outdoorsman's paradise):
Bend, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-12-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
NOTHING in NC has 4 seasons, sorry. 3 max
Uhhh, yes it does as I actually lived there for several years. The Triangle area has pretty much an even three months of each season.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Nearby science fiction conventions but no job needs?
I'm sure they've given that some thought and have an idea....

Old 02-12-2012, 06:52 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,889,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Uhhh, yes it does as I actually lived there for several years. The Triangle area has pretty much an even three months of each season.
No, it really doesn't. Getting below 32 degrees a handful of times a year doesn't qualify as "winter", just like getting above 80 a handful of times a year doesn't qualify as "summer". Besides, the OP WANTS a milder/warmer climate, so why make NC out to be this 4-seasoned wunderland when it's really a temperate place that rarely gets cold (just what the OP wants)?

It's amazing to me how often the term "four seasons" gets thrown around.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 AM

Natural..., the northwest has tempted us several times--and then we recall that's a very high allergen region and the daylight/sunlight hours are probably on the whole worse than the Twin Cities, and we regretfully keep that area crossed off our list.

Of course, you would have no way of knowing this, since I didn't include those 2 factors in the list I posted. The list was already getting long and some people won't read a long list, so I tried to balance brevity and thoroughness--always a tough call.

We've been making use of wikipedia a lot in reading up on cities, and I found a couple good lists of SF conventions in the country.

More suggestions welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.