Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
No, it really doesn't. Getting below 32 degrees a handful of times a year doesn't qualify as "winter", just like getting above 80 a handful of times a year doesn't qualify as "summer". Besides, the OP WANTS a milder/warmer climate, so why make NC out to be this 4-seasoned wunderland when it's really a temperate place that rarely gets cold (just what the OP wants)?

It's amazing to me how often the term "four seasons" gets thrown around.
Clearly you have no concept of the term seasonal. When leaves change in the fall, it snows (regardless of how much), tulips and such pop in the spring and a pronounced warm season is in effect it sure as heck looks and sounds like a four-season climate. Can you not count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
Here's some of what we are looking for--these are ideals, of course, so we expect to be making some trade-offs, but it's better to measure against the optimal:

* Milder winters (cold hardiness no less than 5 [avg annual low down to -20 degrees] and higher is better).

* Summers not too hot (optimal heat zone of 6 [up to 60 days/yr above 86 degrees] or less--might go to 7).

* Some humidity is okay and better than too dry.

Furthermore to West336, read this and tell me where a milder climate isn't desired and where my suggestion isn't appropriate.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:49 AM

327 posts, read 526,191 times
Oh, dear. I'd prefer suggestions in response to my request, rather than focusing on weather/seasonal talk to the exclusion of our other desireables.

Perhaps starting a new thread (poll, anyone?) might allow those interested to discuss this topic without hijacking my topic.

I assure all, I can review temperature/precipitation/humidity info and determine if I want to pursue consideration of the city in question.

In fact, last night we overlaid a map of the US with major cities with excerpts of the heat zone and cold hardiness maps to reveal clear possibilities. We also used opaqueness to show marginal choices, in case we ultimately decide to flex more on the weather than on other criteria. It turned out Very Cool!!

So, what other cities does anyone recommend?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,342 times
Have you looked into Grand Rapids, Michigan or the surrounding neighborhoods (Heritage Hill, East Grand Rapids, Heartside-Downtown)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
Greetings and Salutations!

We are planning to relocate away from Minneapolis-St Paul, where we have lived for many years. Any and all Advices on cities to consider will be much appreciated!

Here's some of what we are looking for--these are ideals, of course, so we expect to be making some trade-offs, but it's better to measure against the optimal:

* Milder winters (cold hardiness no less than 5 [avg annual low down to -20 degrees] and higher is better).

* Summers not too hot (optimal heat zone of 6 [up to 60 days/yr above 86 degrees] or less--might go to 7).

* Some humidity is okay and better than too dry.

* Metro area population of no more than 1.5 million, and probably at least 500 K.

* Cost of living, esp. housing, comparable to the Twin Cities or cheaper.

* Active humanist / freethinker community ... liberal / progressive.

* Outdoor activities; we want to live as close to the city center as we can while having a decent sized lot (at least a 1/4 to 1/3 acre) and in a neighborhood pleasant to walk around in. We like hiking, biking, and kayaking.

* Child-free, so schools irrelevant.

* No interest in team sports.

* Average to high percentage of population having graduate degrees.

* Nearby science fiction convention(s).

Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM

327 posts, read 526,191 times
tiluha, I'm just starting to think I have to look more northerly...was thinking TN-KY-NC-VA, but that area is starting to look less promising. I've always considered MI part of the too-cold Midwest, but maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. Possibly IN or OH might work as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.