Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 02:56 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Well, I live in Austin, not DFW or Houston. Were I to live in Arizona, I'd live in Phoenix, because it's the only major city in the state and I'm a city person.

So when I see, "big advantage to Arizona in scenery", I'm not sure I agree. I feel like where I live now in Texas is much more visually attractive than where I would live if I were in Arizona. Texas does have some beautiful places in the middle of nowhere as well, for what it's worth.
Texas has the ocean. Phoenix doesn't. Of course, you could probably get to the ocean faster from Phoenix then you can Dallas. One of the prettiest places in Texas, Big Bend, is pretty easily replicated in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 03:31 PM

111 posts, read 93,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just went on vacation, flying into Flagstaff and spending a lot of time between there, the Grand Canyon, and Sedona.

Sorry, but I really didn't care for the overall terrain. If it was such a great place for people to live, I think it would be more populated also.

I don't personally care for places with low humidity, lots of desert terrain, a fire risk, etc. But that's just a personal preference.
This comment doesn't even make sense. Arizona is objectively a beautiful state and that's why people from all over the world travel to it. No one travels to Texas to see its natural beauty. You go to Texas for the cities.

As for the population comment Arizona is one of the fastest growing states in the country alongside Texas.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:45 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Texas has the ocean. Phoenix doesn't. Of course, you could probably get to the ocean faster from Phoenix then you can Dallas. One of the prettiest places in Texas, Big Bend, is pretty easily replicated in Arizona.
Yeah, I wasn't really knocking Arizona nature out in the wilderness. Nor do I rate Texas highly in that department. My problem with Arizona is that there is exactly one major city, and I personally find it to be a fairly ugly one. I'll grant you that Texas has some ugly cities as well (I'm looking at you, Houston. )

Even with DFW, I much prefer its clean and upscale look over the Phoenix metro. (Scottsdale being the exception, but it's basically a miniature Dallas with more cacti).

Plus I'm with Kathryn on the desert scenery. I much prefer a lush environment. It's probably a human instinct?

Old 07-13-2021, 05:03 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't really knocking Arizona nature out in the wilderness. Nor do I rate Texas highly in that department. My problem with Arizona is that there is exactly one major city, and I personally find it to be a fairly ugly one. I'll grant you that Texas has some ugly cities as well (I'm looking at you, Houston. )

Even with DFW, I much prefer its clean and upscale look over the Phoenix metro. (Scottsdale being the exception, but it's basically a miniature Dallas with more cacti).

Plus I'm with Kathryn on the desert scenery. I much prefer a lush environment. It's probably a human instinct?
I don't know about that, I am a NY native (lived there until I was 18), and I love the west, and find the east boring geographically. Especially since there are so many trees, that you don't get that many views, due to the canopy

Old 07-14-2021, 05:12 AM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattya View Post
Yep, Phoenix alone is one of the fastest growing cities and either 1 or 2 for big cities. Sedona, Oak Creek, Flagstaff, Page, Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, the Grand Canyon, Havasupai Falls, Monument Valley, Superstition Mountains… haven’t even gone south of metro Phoenix. If these things are meh to you for scenery compared the Texas I really don’t know what to say.
LOL, that's just the "everything is bigger and better in Texas" in 'em coming out.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
That's perfectly fine that the desert environment is not appealing to you, although if we are trying to be as objective as possible, it is hard to deny that the scenery in northern Arizona is quite unique and striking.

Like, the Grand Canyon is considered one of the 7 natural wonders of the world. Monument Valley has been featured in several films, video games, and other forms of visual art. Antelope Canyon is one of the most photographed destinations in North America. If these places weren't remarkable, people wouldn't be going out of their way to visit them or feature them in their art.

Also, I never brought up livability, just scenery and natural landscapes. I wouldn't want to live in Alaska, but I think it has incredible scenery.
Right - you didn't bring up livability.

I went there on vacation but I'd never move there.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeternaII View Post
This comment doesn't even make sense. Arizona is objectively a beautiful state and that's why people from all over the world travel to it. No one travels to Texas to see its natural beauty. You go to Texas for the cities.

As for the population comment Arizona is one of the fastest growing states in the country alongside Texas.
It makes perfect sense to me. In spite of what you're saying about the population, Arizona was one of the most desolate places I've ever driven through.

Pretty in some areas, but desolate, and for a reason.

Texas has nearly double the population density per square mile as Arizona.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:03 AM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:

Is Houston that ugly though?

Ill grant you that the eastern half of the city is industrial which makes it unattractive. But Houston is the lushest, greenest major city in Texas. Were in the middle of a giant forest.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:31 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattya View Post
Yep, Phoenix alone is one of the fastest growing cities and either 1 or 2 for big cities. Sedona, Oak Creek, Flagstaff, Page, Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, the Grand Canyon, Havasupai Falls, Monument Valley, Superstition Mountains… haven’t even gone south of metro Phoenix. If these things are meh to you for scenery compared the Texas I really don’t know what to say.
Agreed with this point. I can't compare against Texas as my experience in Texas is very minimal but Arizona has some beautiful landscapes, especially the ones you mentioned.

And there is absolutely nothing like the Grand Canyon.

And vacationed in Phoenix earlier this summer and it is a beautiful area. Don't go there expecting lush greenery and instead take in the desert landscape and you'll be fine.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:59 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It makes perfect sense to me. In spite of what you're saying about the population, Arizona was one of the most desolate places I've ever driven through.

Pretty in some areas, but desolate, and for a reason.

Texas has nearly double the population density per square mile as Arizona.
I cannot think of a more desolate place I've driven through than west Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.