Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 08:16 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times

Advertisements

What about the Twin Cities? Given their reputation for left-wing politics its always surprising to see that many parts of Minnesota are staunchly conservative to a point where the state was pretty close in the 2016 election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 08:26 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
What about the Twin Cities? Given their reputation for left-wing politics its always surprising to see that many parts of Minnesota are staunchly conservative to a point where the state was pretty close in the 2016 election.
Good one. Seems like Minnesota is creeping closer to the other midwestern states.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:21 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I think the OP was talking city, in which case Miami/Miami Beach can be like living in a foreign country in many parts.

I agree with you about MSA, outside of Miami/Miami Beach.
I don't know that I necessarily agree. Certainly Miami and Miami Beach propers are a tiny piece of the overall metro, but nearly all 2.7M of Miami-Dade County is especially culturally different from the rest of Florida, and it's not an insignificant part of the overall Miami metro. From the dominant Cuban community in Hialeah, to the Venezuelan and Colombian communities in Doral, Miami-Dade's cultural dissimilarity goes beyond the small confines of its named core city. Additionally, the international/cultural influence continues its push into Broward County as well. Certainly it could be argued that Palm Beach County feels more like other parts of Florida, but it's in no way the dominant culture of South Florida.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:02 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I don't know that I necessarily agree. Certainly Miami and Miami Beach propers are a tiny piece of the overall metro, but nearly all 2.7M of Miami-Dade County is especially culturally different from the rest of Florida, and it's not an insignificant part of the overall Miami metro. From the dominant Cuban community in Hialeah, to the Venezuelan and Colombian communities in Doral, Miami-Dade's cultural dissimilarity goes beyond the small confines of its named core city. Additionally, the international/cultural influence continues its push into Broward County as well. Certainly it could be argued that Palm Beach County feels more like other parts of Florida, but it's in no way the dominant culture of South Florida.
You have a point, but to me, "Venezuelan/Colombian communities of Doral" aren't all that much dissimilar to some communities in East Orlando and Kissimmee...
Broward County literally reminds me of Tampa Bay on nearly all fronts.
Palm Beach County, more culturally akin to the Orlando Metro (Seminole County specifically.) You could take Lake Mary and drop it there and it would fit right in.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:38 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
I feel like El Paso, Houston, Miami, and New Orleans are the only cities that I can make cases for wherein the differences extend beyond just "large city ≠ rest of the state that is lesser populated."

Old 06-11-2020, 08:01 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You have a point, but to me, "Venezuelan/Colombian communities of Doral" aren't all that much dissimilar to some communities in East Orlando and Kissimmee...
Broward County literally reminds me of Tampa Bay on nearly all fronts.
Palm Beach County, more culturally akin to the Orlando Metro (Seminole County specifically.) You could take Lake Mary and drop it there and it would fit right in.
While other metros in the state may have population/cultural representation that reminds you of other parts of the greater Miami metro, the variety, richness, depth and cultural impact in MiamiDade isn't matched anywhere in the state. The Hispanic/Latin American saturation in MiamiDade is 70%, and nearly 75% speak a language other than English at home. The White, non-Hispanic/Latino population in MiamiDade is just 13%, putting it in 3rd position behind Hispanic/Latino and Black/African-American. I don't believe that that is replicated anywhere else in the state.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:07 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Chicago and New York definitely. And Miami.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:23 PM

373 posts, read 253,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnnah View Post
Excluding New York City, which of the following largest US cities is the most different from the rest of the state?

Los Angeles
Chicago
Houston
Phoenix
San Antonio
San Diego

LA and Phoenix are exactly like t he rest of the state. SF is very different but no longer the largest city in its state

Old 06-11-2020, 02:12 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Atlanta doesn’t feel right here. I mean it’s not Macon, but the Piedmont big cities all grew up late in the suburban age so the disconnect with their country cousins feels less jarring. There’s more than enough country boys in Alpharetta to fill up Chick-fil-A 6 days a week and church on the seventh. It’s not quite like the Philly/Pennsylvania or Chicago/Illinois divide.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:44 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Atlanta doesn’t feel right here. I mean it’s not Macon, but the Piedmont big cities all grew up late in the suburban age so the disconnect with their country cousins feels less jarring. There’s more than enough country boys in Alpharetta to fill up Chick-fil-A 6 days a week and church on the seventh. It’s not quite like the Philly/Pennsylvania or Chicago/Illinois divide.
I won't speak to Philly, but Chicago has huge swaths of the North (and increasingly near West/near South) side filled with Big10 graduates who were raised in basically every generic Illinois/Midwestern suburb or small city from Joliet to Peoria, Kalamazoo to Des Moines. I mean, we're not talking like the city is swarming with transplanted Parisians. Most of the population in Illinois is skewed towards Chicagoland anyway...so from a people perspective, Chicagoland kind of defines what it is to be an Illinois resident on average.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 06-11-2020 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.