Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City could play New York City best as a movie set?
Philadelphia 34 37.36%
Chicago 42 46.15%
Atlanta 3 3.30%
Los Angeles 7 7.69%
Boston 3 3.30%
Detroit 2 2.20%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:38 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Which residential areas of Philly would you compare to NYC?

I totally get what you're saying, it would work for people not familiar with NYC. But anyone who has spent a lot of time in NYC could spot the differences pretty easily.

Neither Philly or Boston has those midrise tenement neighborhoods that are common in NYC. Cincinatti sorta does so it would be better in that regard.

for NYC

areas that Philly could have close matches albeit much smaller in footprint

Manhattan below 23rd (most of the areas)
Queens most non shoreline areas
BK most non shoreline areas
Manhattan Brownstones
BK Brownstones
Staten island (almost anything not on the coast)
Manhattan Midtown (again smaller scale but Market west or JFK could replace pretty easily)

the biggest non matches are parts of Manhattan Harlem and the Bronx (lack of the tenement style is the biggest gap IMHO)

parts of old City could do SOHO etc

I don't see any city that has the number of matches to be honest

not the scale but many similarities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 02:25 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Why did you even list Atlanta?
Predictable.

The Fairlie-Poplar District has often been used as a stand-in for NYC.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/atlanta/fai.htm

I recently watched Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection. The New York scenes, although interspersed with second unit camera shots of the real thing, very effectively used Atlanta's Downtown and Midtown districts as substitutes. I recognized the Georgian Terrace Hotel and the area around Woodruff Park immediately, but I can't imagine many others could discern the difference.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...D0gQoioImwEwDQ

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...rk-Atlanta.jpg

Old 12-21-2017, 10:37 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
for NYC

areas that Philly could have close matches albeit much smaller in footprint

Manhattan below 23rd (most of the areas)
Queens most non shoreline areas
BK most non shoreline areas
Manhattan Brownstones
BK Brownstones
Staten island (almost anything not on the coast)
Manhattan Midtown (again smaller scale but Market west or JFK could replace pretty easily)

the biggest non matches are parts of Manhattan Harlem and the Bronx (lack of the tenement style is the biggest gap IMHO)

parts of old City could do SOHO etc

I don't see any city that has the number of matches to be honest

not the scale but many similarities
Agree that the biggest non match would be the lack of tenements, so there's nowhere in Philly that resembles upper Manhattan or The Bronx

Brooklyn has so many midrises and in some cases high rises, though. I would say the most dominant housing style is 3 story apartment buildings, Philly seems to be overwhelmingly rowhouses. Which might look similar enough to the average person, though.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:00 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Agree that the biggest non match would be the lack of tenements, so there's nowhere in Philly that resembles upper Manhattan or The Bronx
Apparently you've been denied the privilege of visiting North Philadelphia.

https://blogs.commons.georgetown.edu...iladelphia.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/J8xlEgoS-rg/maxresdefault.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/193/49...03943735d8.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9e/17/2b/9...a-lorraine.jpg

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/f37/...74cb3bc877.jpg

https://closedforbusiness.files.word...7/p7053504.jpg

Old 12-22-2017, 12:59 AM

385 posts, read 401,143 times
I am someone who pays attention to this type of thing....knowing that Los Angeles has the studio space to do so but you can still tell. I've spent a great amount of time in New York. I can tell the difference between the "Real" and "Set" or "Another City"...the simple things such a street lights an traffic lights. A movie "Devil" i think that what is called was based in Philly and within the Comcast Center....the exterior shots was shot in Toronto and i knew that because of the simple exterior of the traffic lights. But i will say i do think Philly maybe is the closest thing to a stand in to New York for filming...but it has to be particular and right.

But honestly anyone will notice if a movie or show is set in their city and shot somewhere else "Noticeable Cosmetics".

Old 12-22-2017, 03:05 AM

I've been to North Philly a few times, it doesn't remind me of Brooklyn.

In comparison to Brooklyn, North Philly is less dense, more blighted, and has tiny streets. I know that's not an apples to apples comparison, but I don't know anywhere in Brooklyn that looks like Fairhill or Kensington.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
I am someone who pays attention to this type of thing....knowing that Los Angeles has the studio space to do so but you can still tell. I've spent a great amount of time in New York. I can tell the difference between the "Real" and "Set" or "Another City"...the simple things such a street lights an traffic lights. A movie "Devil" i think that what is called was based in Philly and within the Comcast Center....the exterior shots was shot in Toronto and i knew that because of the simple exterior of the traffic lights. But i will say i do think Philly maybe is the closest thing to a stand in to New York for filming...but it has to be particular and right.

But honestly anyone will notice if a movie or show is set in their city and shot somewhere else "Noticeable Cosmetics".
NYC's street lights/traffic lights are very unique, so that's part of why it's easy for me to tell if the scene was really shot in NYC

Old 12-22-2017, 08:35 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Philadelphia could, in some ways its architecture is similar to that of New York.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:08 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Philly and Chicago but more so Philly. Chicago looks too clean and it's architecture doesn't look as weathered.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:24 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Probably all these, believe it or not. It’s really all about finding a block or even just street corner to film on that looks city enough to pass for NYC — keeping in mind that the vast majority of the audience is not going to be from NYC and won’t know any better.

But don’t think that it isn’t obvious to New Yorkers when TV shows and movies set in New York were not actually filmed here. It’s not about convincing New Yorkers, it’s about just convincing the average viewer.
This. How many average viewers of Empire, for example, know that the show is filmed in Chicago and not NYC? How many viewers of The Good Wife realized that the show was filmed in NYC even though it was set in Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.