Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 05:18 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times

Advertisements

A lot of people out west consider Houston to be very much southern. I know a lot of people who automatically put Houston and Deep South in the same bubble, how do Texans view Houston....do they not consider it part of the deep south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 05:22 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
A lot of people out west consider Houston to be very much southern. I know a lot of people who automatically put Houston and Deep South in the same bubble, how do Texas view Houston....do they not consider it part of the deep south?
I wouldn't know, but most people aren't informed enough for me to value what they consider.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:49 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
A lot of people out west consider Houston to be very much southern. I know a lot of people who automatically put Houston and Deep South in the same bubble, how do Texans view Houston....do they not consider it part of the deep south?
Most Texans hardly even consider Texas as a whole part of the Deep South. I mean I didn't know part of Texas was the deep South until I came on this forum. Me personally saying Houston is not part of the Deep South hardly means it's not part of the South. I personally can understand the arguments of East Texas being Deep South. It's basically like North Florida. Along with of most of Mississippi, Southern Arkansas and Northern Louisiana, most of Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. I always thought Tennessee was Mid-South, like a transition from Deep South to Upper South such as Kentucky, North Carolina, and Virginia. But the Deep South to me is a region where it is unquestionably Southern. It still retains the culture and feel of the South at it's strongest. How it's never asked if so and so is Southern or not. They are pretty much the same economical and demographic areas like they were decades ago. I could go more into detail but I personally don't see Houston in this region. Heck, you had a thread in the New Orleans forum (unscientific, of course) saying is NO the South and you will see the answers for yourself.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:06 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Most Texans hardly even consider Texas as a whole part of the Deep South. I mean I didn't know part of Texas was the deep South until I came on this forum. Me personally saying Houston is not part of the Deep South hardly means it's not part of the South. I personally can understand the arguments of East Texas being Deep South. It's basically like North Florida. Along with of most of Mississippi, Southern Arkansas and Northern Louisiana, most of Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. I always thought Tennessee was Mid-South, like a transition from Deep South to Upper South such as Kentucky, North Carolina, and Virginia. But the Deep South to me is a region where it is unquestionably Southern. It still retains the culture and feel of the South at it's strongest. How it's never asked if so and so is Southern or not. They are pretty much the same economical and demographic areas like they were decades ago. I could go more into detail but I personally don't see Houston in this region. Heck, you had a thread in the New Orleans forum (unscientific, of course) saying is NO the South and you will see the answers for yourself.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I agree, I personally consider East texas to be southern, but Texas as a whole....I don't think you can restrict the entire state to one region. I mean, El Paso is by no means the south and Tyler is by no means the west/southwest.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:40 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Interesting, thanks for the info. I agree, I personally consider East texas to be southern, but Texas as a whole....I don't think you can restrict the entire state to one region. I mean, El Paso is by no means the south and Tyler is by no means the west/southwest.
Texas is an overall Southern state. Not Deep South...Western South. Except for far west Texas the vast majority of the state is Southern. Austin, Dallas, Corpus Christi, Amarillo, and Houston are all Southern cities.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:32 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
I wasn't focusing on just the Hispanic population but if one must mention that, Atlanta and NO may have parts becoming predominantly Hispanic. But the Houston metro has over 2.5 million Hispanics. More than New Orleans and Atlanta metros combined. Heck more than the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia combined. I don't even think they have 750,000 Hispanics combined. There is a major difference when you count that. Also, Houston's demographics today are indeed different than what they were in the early part of the 20th century. But this isn't much different than the rest of the South as a whole. Even Miami was mostly Black and white up until the 1960s. Their demographics was very much in line with the rest of the South.
That's the thing though, is "Deep South" such a term in which it relates to a certain demographic? can Hispanics not be apart of the Deep South? Honestly, I feel like the term is all over the place. I have family members mixed with Mexican that stay in Dallas, and truthfully they're more country than the people I've met in Alabama and Georgia.

Quote:
Me personally saying Houston is not part of the Deep South hardly means it's not part of the South. I personally can understand the arguments of East Texas being Deep South. It's basically like North Florida. Along with of most of Mississippi, Southern Arkansas and Northern Louisiana, most of Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. I always thought Tennessee was Mid-South, like a transition from Deep South to Upper South such as Kentucky, North Carolina, and Virginia. But the Deep South to me is a region where it is unquestionably Southern. It still retains the culture and feel of the South at it's strongest. How it's never asked if so and so is Southern or not. They are pretty much the same economical and demographic areas like they were decades ago. I could go more into detail but I personally don't see Houston in this region. Heck, you had a thread in the New Orleans forum (unscientific, of course) saying is NO the South and you will see the answers for yourself.
Quote:
BTW, https://www.google.com/maps/place/Or...792365!6m1!1e1

Doesn't look that much different from some areas in the Deep South as well, no?
Another thing I had in mind also; regarding the ideal image of the Deep South itself, I actually think it's a bit more complicated than that. Houston, along with North/Central Florida looks typically "Deep South" moreso than Atlanta and Birmingham, both forefront cities of Deep South states.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7759...8i6656!6m1!1e1
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5095...7i13312!8i6656

If anything Atlanta, and Birmingham are pretty much a combination of both Deep South, and Upland South. Which is why I think the term Deep South is so inconsistent.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:39 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
SC is more like Deep New Jersey these days, not Deep South due to all the transplants.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:31 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
SC is more like Deep New Jersey these days, not Deep South due to all the transplants.
LMAO SC is nothing like New Jersey...where do these comparisons come from exactly? I think you just hate the Deep South and don't want any association with it. South Carolina is a deep South state and as shown on this thread you are practically the only one who considers it something other than Deep South. The transplants don't make South Carolina any less Southern. Go home.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:08 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
LMAO SC is nothing like New Jersey...where do these comparisons come from exactly? I think you just hate the Deep South and don't want any association with it. South Carolina is a deep South state and as shown on this thread you are practically the only one who considers it something other than Deep South. The transplants don't make South Carolina any less Southern. Go home.
I feel the same about Florida. I don't think the transplants have robbed it of its position in the south.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:14 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
i actually live in SC and the south though. it seems like you and others talk about southerners like you are anthropologists and we are animals in a zoo. we have opinions too.

i hear you and others talkin a lot about southern accents but given there are so many trnasplants here, there is no one accent and people from NJ, etc don't have a southern accent to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.