Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 12:06 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes and no. The heavy Hispanic element adds a different flavor to it. It's not seen like that in the rest of the South outside of Houston and Florida. Even East Texas doesn't have that flavor to it....yet.
Hispanics are an outlier I'll agree but the state is full of Southern Baptists, speaks with a Southern accents, and politically acts like a Southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 12:21 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
The Democratic party controlled the south until Nixon, a staunch intregrationist praised by MLK, even though most of the 'Deep South" voted for the Democrat / Dixiecrat Georgie Wallace. FDR, Lyndon Johnson, etc supported the same economic, tax policies that Obama does.

So if there is a political aspect to the Deep South category of states, it has changed from liberal Democrat to conservative Republican since the expression was originally coined. Generally all the predominant agriculture and depressed areas in the southern states even today are majority Democrat.

It was actually until fairly recently that NC's state congress obtained a Republican majority, yet they are not lumped in with the 'Deep South'.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:05 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,936 times
South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and sometimes Florida and Texas.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:20 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Hispanics are an outlier I'll agree but the state is full of Southern Baptists, speaks with a Southern accents, and politically acts like a Southern state.
Yes but we're talking about Dallas, not the entire state. Dallas has a very large Catholic population that is not seen and most of the South. Politically, it is pretty democratic and not as republican as you will find in say the rest of the South as well. Won't disagree with the accents but its twangy and not as thick as you would get in say Monroe or even Memphis. Not saying it's not a Southern city. But it definitely is not the Deep South. There are influences from other regions as well.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Yes but we're talking about Dallas, not the entire state. Dallas has a very large Catholic population that is not seen and most of the South. Politically, it is pretty democratic and not as republican as you will find in say the rest of the South as well. Won't disagree with the accents but its twangy and not as thick as you would get in say Monroe or even Memphis. Not saying it's not a Southern city. But it definitely is not the Deep South. There are influences from other regions as well.
I agree it's not the Deep South. Houston isn't the Deep South either. I don't consider Texas to be a Deep South state. I lump Texas and Oklahoma together as the "Western South."

Old 05-23-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I don't think in the modern era, the culture of SC is much different from AL, MS, etc. I lived in AL for 2 years, and I didn't see a difference. I didn't see a difference living in MD or NJ either.
You mean to tell us that MD and NJ have the same culture as the Deep South? Because that's VERY inaccurate.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:36 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Well Houston is warmer in the Summer but Orlando is warmer in the winter.
Looks like there's a slight difference between their summers. There winters are nothing alike, though.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I more or less agree with this map of the Deep South...only, I would stop the Deep South a little west of Harris County in Texas..and I wouldn't take it so far up in Tennessee and I consider all of Louisiana the Deep South...and I would bring it up just a little in Florida.

http://creoleindc.typepad.com/.a/6a0...0fad652970c-pi
Yeah, that map is a little too generous.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:44 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
You mean to tell us that MD and NJ have the same culture as the Deep South? Because that's VERY inaccurate.
I think this is boiling down to a difference in perspective.

On the large scale, let's say global, the USA is fairly uniform from end to end in terms of culture. People live the same, they shop the same, they watch the same TV, they eat a lot of the same food, etc. The differences from north to south are tiny and subtle when looking at it from that point of view.

I think SimpsonV may be approaching the subject from there.

The differences between Michigan, Montana and Tennessee become far more apparent when you start looking at the US in an isolated perspective. Within our own sphere those differences are larger and have a heavier impact; this is quite possibly where you are coming from.

To put it simpler:

When comparing New York directly to Georgia, the differences are pretty huge.

When comparing NY and GA to Oman or Yemen, suddenly NY and GA seem a lot more similar.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I think the case for Birmingham is, culturally it's "Deep South," but geographically it's "Upper South," similar to Atlanta as well. I think for them both, it's like a combination between the two.
I feel like the only argument for them here is the fact that they have a very large Black population, but they're missing a slew of other characteristics that are agreeably traits of the true Deep South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.