Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:32 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,477,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I'm beginning to think the term Southern Hospitality was Southern Hostility in reality and just spelled wrong.
It's probably because of the huge influx of northerners moving there now,thus riling up the hardcore locals who still act like the civil war is going on...
Similar thing happened to Pennsylvania- used to be a bunch of farmers and 'good ol' country folk,then people from NY & NJ started moving in and well you can imagine that mix. Needless to say Pennsylvanians are not as friendly as they used to be. Seems to be akin to the whole killer bee thing,you breed the aggressive ones with the regular ones and there you go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 02:36 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Similar thing happened to Pennsylvania- used to be a bunch of farmers and 'good ol' country folk,then people from NY & NJ started moving in and well you can imagine that mix.
Maybe that explains it... I just spent the Christmas holidays in Northern PA and southern NY (Binghampton and a few other towns about 30 minutes south of there). I've never met such hostile people, particularly in Pennsylvania. I began to wonder if everyone there just needed a laxative or something... hopefully the people I met don't represent the area, just their own toxic selves.

As for friendly--really, I've found most areas of the country to be pretty friendly. I think people usually reflect the friendliness you send out to them. The southern California beach cities stand out, though. Those were the friendliest people I've ever met.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Maybe that explains it... I just spent the Christmas holidays in Northern PA and southern NY (Binghampton and a few other towns about 30 minutes south of there). I've never met such hostile people, particularly in Pennsylvania. I began to wonder if everyone there just needed a laxative or something... hopefully the people I met don't represent the area, just their own toxic selves.

As for friendly--really, I've found most areas of the country to be pretty friendly. I think people usually reflect the friendliness you send out to them. The southern California beach cities stand out, though. Those were the friendliest people I've ever met.
As far as PA,I suppose most of it has always been a depressed type area due to all the downsized blue collar industries such as the coal mines and steel mills. Those weren't exactly the most comfortable environments to work in either!

Toxic...that's a good word.

And as far as people reflecting the friendliness you send out to them,I never believed that because I started out trying to be friendly only to be met with alot of coldness. It works both ways too,the friendliness that I'm met with I also give out

Old 01-25-2008, 10:34 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,997 times
I have found plenty of friendly people within the city of Philadelphia, it's the Philly suburbs that I didn't enjoy & I lived there for years.

Overall I found people to be; cliquey, unfriendly, pompous, self-important, terribly pretentious and cold to name a few traits. Thank goodness I am a friendly person and over the years managed to find some nice people to be friends with. My DH is a Philly suburb guy, so I really can't complain too much. I've lived in South Jersey for 15 years and have 100 times more friends here than after 20 years in PA. The people in S. Jersey are warm and friendly, and well...just regular "folks."

Even though it has (had?) the opposite reputation, I have always found very friendly people in New York City.

Overall, after all my years of traveling and moving (my next move will be home #30 Good Lord.) I have found the #1 FRIENDLIEST city to be San Francisco. I adore that city, and cannot wait to go back.

Have a nice visit with us, rachel210389!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
I have found plenty of friendly people within the city of Philadelphia, it's the Philly suburbs that I didn't enjoy & I lived there for years.

Overall I found people to be; cliquey, unfriendly, pompous, self-important, terribly pretentious and cold to name a few traits. Thank goodness I am a friendly person and over the years managed to find some nice people to be friends with. My DH is a Philly suburb guy, so I really can't complain too much. I've lived in South Jersey for 15 years and have 100 times more friends here than after 20 years in PA. The people in S. Jersey are warm and friendly, and well...just regular "folks."

Overall, after all my years of traveling and moving (my next move will be home #30 Good Lord.) I have found the #1 FRIENDLIEST city to be San Francisco. I adore that city, and cannot wait to go back.
Now that's something there's very little argument about,as opposed to 'most people who didn't like PA & NJ and some that did'.

'Cliquey, unfriendly, pompous, self-important, terribly pretentious and cold'...good observation

As far as south Jersey being warm and friendly,I wouldn't go that far but they do seem a little more 'normal' than folks in PA

I've always said similar things about VA & NJ...I made more friends in 2 years in VA than in 25 in NJ

Good luck on home#30! Unfortunately I've only gotten to place #11 but as I get older I may slow down with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.