Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2022, 05:25 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Dude. Go to page 10 and look at the composite personas of the average listener by genre.

https://musicbiz.org/wp-content/uplo...nreWebinar.pdf

The average country music listener is 45+, listens to music mostly over FM/AM radio and uses Facebook. The average hip hop fan is 15-34, listens to music mostly over Spotify and uses Instagram and YouTube.

So are you really going to sit here and tell me that the face of "cool" is a 45-year old+ White person who uses Facebook?
I guess the NBA isn’t cool either?

When something is popular enough the average fan is going to be pretty old because the median American, is 40. If your average fan is like 24 that’s only possible if it’s not popular in general. If you look at the general demographics Rick and country are up at the top, and guess what? They have old fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 05:26 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
San Francisco is not cool, it’s entirely economic migration, like Seattle or Boston
What is your evidence for this? Does the Census record the reasons for people moving?

Old 06-13-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
What is your evidence for this? Does the Census record the reasons for people moving?
So census records tell you why people visit cities?

Over the last 20 years Chicago’s GDP is 180% it’s 2002 size Nashville is 185%.

Nashville grew much much more in population. But it’s economy isn’t growing

Old 06-13-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I guess the NBA isn’t cool either?
The average age of an NBA fan is 36, not 45+. The average NBA fan is also a racial minority.

Quote:
When something is popular enough the average fan is going to be pretty old because the median American, is 40. If your average fan is like 24 that’s only possible if it’s not popular in general. If you look at the general demographics Rick and country are up at the top, and guess what? They have old fans.
You act like country is more popular than hip hop. It's not. It's less popular. Less streamers, less album sales, pretty much less of everything.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
So census records tell you why people visit cities?
YOU made the claim that Nashville has a ton of people moving there for "pure vibes" while San Francisco has people ONLY moving there for economic reasons. The burden of proof is on you, Ak.

I never claimed that people were visiting for any particular reason. I merely pointed out that cool cities, in fact, *do* get lots of visitors.

Nashville is a relatively homogeneous, largely Black-White city that doesn't even have the quirkiness of Portland. So the appeal is going to be far more limited compared to that of SF that's going to appeal to Asians, Latinos, Whites and even some Black people (the other 40% of the U.S. population). Not to mention foreigners.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
YOU made the claim that Nashville has a ton of people moving there for "pure vibes" while San Francisco has people ONLY moving there for economic reasons. The burden of proof is on you, Ak.

I never claimed that people were visiting for any particular reason. I merely pointed out that cool cities, in fact, *do* get lots of visitors.
Philly economy 2019/2002: 186%

Cincinnati 196%

Nashville 185%

Chicago 180%

San Francisco 247%

Seattle: 266%

Does it make economic sense Nashville grew the fastest demographically?

For comparison Houston, a sunbelt boom town was 255%
Or or may the city be “cool”

Old 06-13-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Philly economy 2019/2002: 186%

Nashville 185%

Chicago 180%

San Francisco 247%

Seattle: 266%

Does it make economic sense Nashville grew the fastest demographically?

Or or may the city be “cool”
Why would a large metro with a large base population have as high a percentage increase as a far smaller metro?

I think you're discounting the fact that a lot of people move to Southern metros for a lower COL. I have some friends in Nashville and they're not there because it's "cool." They like it enough, but they happened to land good jobs there, and it's cheaper than the cities they moved from.

If you're into the country/indie scene, and don't mind living in a sort of culturally homogeneous place, and don't mind the Bible Belt influence, then Nashville could very well be a "cool" place. But if you're not into that, and want a more diverse city, what would be the point of moving there outside of a low COL?

Old 06-13-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Why would a large metro with a large base population have as high a percentage increase as a far smaller metro?

I think you're discounting the fact that a lot of people move to Southern metros for a lower COL. I have some friends in Nashville and they're not there because it's "cool." They like it enough, but they happened to land good jobs there, and it's cheaper than the cities they moved from.

If you're into the country/indie scene, and don't mind living in a sort of culturally homogeneous place, then Nashville could very well be a "cool" place. But if you're not into that, and want a more diverse city, what would be the point of moving there outside of a low COL?
While not universally cool, I think Nashville being a pretty big outlier in terms of Ecinomic vs demographic growth is a sign people think it’s cool. And while Country music is big enough to dominate a metro the size of Nashville, so it’s a city whose demographic pull is stronger than it’s economic pull.

Boston, SF, Seattle and Chicago are on the “unusually strong growth considering demographics”

Which is a sign they’re not very cool. Because people are less willing to make economic concessions to live there.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
While not universally cool, I think Nashville being a pretty big outlier in terms of Ecinomic vs demographic growth is a sign people think it’s cool. And while Country music is big enough to dominate a metro the size of Nashville, so it’s a city whose demographic pull is stronger than it’s economic pull.

Boston, SF, Seattle and Chicago are on the “unusually strong growth considering demographics”

Which is a sign they’re not very cool. Because people are less willing to make economic concessions to live there.
Greenville, SC must be really cool then.

Hardly any of the so-called "cool" cities have positive net domestic migration. Manhattan has barely grown at all and yet you are quick to label NYC a "cool" city (or is Manhattan excluded in your view?) Most of the cool cities, in fact, are places where people party it up for a few years and then move to smaller, lower cost metros. It's not like the 20-somethings moving to London are going to buy a house there and raise a family. They're there for a good time, not a long time.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Greenville, SC must be really cool then.

Hardly any of the so-called "cool" cities have positive net domestic migration. Manhattan has barely grown at all and yet you are quick to label NYC a "cool" city (or is Manhattan excluded in your view?) Most of the cool cities, in fact, are places where people party it up for a few years and then move to smaller, lower cost metros. It's not like the 20-somethings moving to London are going to buy a house there and raise a family. They're there for a good time, not a long time.
I think a big thins is NYC is so big and generally the mobile “creative class” is comparatively small it gets lost in the vastness of Demographic trends.

It’s compared to economic growth.

LA economy is 202% it’s 2001 economy

Cincinnati is 199%

Pittsburgh’s economy is at 199% it’s 2001 level

LA’s population grew 14.7% Cincinnati by 12.3%, Pittsburgh lost population. So I’d say LA’s population doesn’t really lag it’s economic growth, but like New York, it’s really really big. So I think it’s tough for it to significantly outperform

That’s is much more true in a city like London where 1/5th of the country lives in the metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.