Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2021, 11:28 AM

230 posts, read 287,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It was founded by Quakers, anything fun was outlawed.
They didn't build anything that would obstruct the view of the statue on City Hall.
Until the 1970s sale of alchohol was banned from midnight Saturday night to noon on Sunday.
and on and on
I usually try to refrain from taking personal shots at other cities. And I have no problem admitting that Philly has real issues, and room for improvement (just like every other large American city).

But: Hoboken?

Sierra Vista, Arizona?

https://youtu.be/ytUTNOXBaYA

I’ll just leave this here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vSwz4n24koY

Last edited by LiveFrom215; 10-06-2021 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Extra Sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 03:50 PM

663 posts, read 308,585 times
Daytime is best. I have seen some well done Philadelphia videos showcasing Center City. Here are 2 from this year.

This one by a city-hopping travel youtuber maker who travels many cities in the US and world and post them. This one showcases Center City well. Did a Chicago right before this one also. Shows great architecture, clean streets and some eatery, shops and bar areas hip and cool. Clearly a prospective tourist both of these show a positive image that is inviting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIR1WBLRbbQ&t=649s

Clearly a visitor seeing good views from the airport into the core, off expressways and core streets. Most would highly complement Philadelphia for fun and visit seeing these prime areas with clean streets.

Another coming in on Broad St and round City Hall. A nice broad street in good condition and sidewalks all clean. This reminds more of the driving and biking main Chicago streets in videos showcasing the city outside downtown more and with varied buildings and a low grittiness look newer and older looking good.

This video you have to click on the full video from screen. Best to view any actually in higher HD in youtube itself in a larger screen size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHRwKwHxZg0

The issue that can hurt opinions on Philadelphia. Are not Center City or most of Broad St. It is still seeing blight and trash seen with degrees of disrepair past glory housing in more hap-hazzard gentrification outside of CC visitors easily might run into point A to B. Aesthetics totally matter in impression building.

A well maintained look is worth a 1000 words of boast. If cleanliness and housing restorations, infill are more fully along we see in ones visits. One can showcase a hip rising neighborhood and investments of new infill neighborhoods with eclectic shops, eateries and bars. Renewed areas not stunning by far in blight all gone? That is a reason a Philly and other cities loose bragging points that many feel short chained for the Philadelphia they love. A local sees the improvements over time. A visitor sees all in the now.

I have seen it myself and easily in streetviews also as I pass thru city streets. I tried my best searching for hip and gentrifying youtube videos that mostly are buildings looking restored, streets and sidewalks outside of CC north and south being uniformly in good shape and clean. Not seeing trashy lots and still blighted homes among some new ones that may take more years yo go.

Some I viewed in searching good ones. Have brash speaking youtubers from Philly speaking in them with a mouth that does not help. Not afraid to say a murder happened here. Just was darn hard finding fully gentrified areas that fully look great again in a video worthy for me to choose to post her in defense.

Forget about the bad hood videos on Philadelphia all over youtube made by locals. Far too many. Then they call every neighborhood a hood. I use "hood" only if far more a bad neighborhood one to avoid for most people.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:09 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,131,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
I usually try to refrain from taking personal shots at other cities. And I have no problem admitting that Philly has real issues, and room for improvement (just like every other large American city).

Sierra Vista, Arizona?

https://youtu.be/ytUTNOXBaYA

I’ll just leave this here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vSwz4n24koY

That user hasn't been in the city since the 80's, and it shows. Far too many people still perceive the city as it were when they moved away 30 years ago.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Daytime is best. I have seen some well done Philadelphia videos showcasing Center City. Here are 2 from this year.

This one by a city-hopping travel youtuber maker who travels many cities in the US and world and post them. This one showcases Center City well. Did a Chicago right before this one also. Shows great architecture, clean streets and some eatery, shops and bar areas hip and cool. Clearly a prospective tourist both of these show a positive image that is inviting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIR1WBLRbbQ&t=649s

Clearly a visitor seeing good views from the airport into the core, off expressways and core streets. Most would highly complement Philadelphia for fun and visit seeing these prime areas with clean streets.

Another coming in on Broad St and round City Hall. A nice broad street in good condition and sidewalks all clean. This reminds more of the driving and biking main Chicago streets in videos showcasing the city outside downtown more and with varied buildings and a low grittiness look newer and older looking good.

This video you have to click on the full video from screen. Best to view any actually in higher HD in youtube itself in a larger screen size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHRwKwHxZg0

The issue that can hurt opinions on Philadelphia. Are not Center City or most of Broad St. It is still seeing blight and trash seen with degrees of disrepair past glory housing in more hap-hazzard gentrification outside of CC visitors easily might run into point A to B. Aesthetics totally matter in impression building.

A well maintained look is worth a 1000 words of boast. If cleanliness and housing restorations, infill are more fully along we see in ones visits. One can showcase a hip rising neighborhood and investments of new infill neighborhoods with eclectic shops, eateries and bars. Renewed areas not stunning by far in blight all gone? That is a reason a Philly and other cities loose bragging points that many feel short chained for the Philadelphia they love. A local sees the improvements over time. A visitor sees all in the now.

I have seen it myself and easily in streetviews also as I pass thru city streets. I tried my best searching for hip and gentrifying youtube videos that mostly are buildings looking restored, streets and sidewalks outside of CC north and south being uniformly in good shape and clean. Not seeing trashy lots and still blighted homes among some new ones that may take more years yo go.

Some I viewed in searching good ones. Have brash speaking youtubers from Philly speaking in them with a mouth that does not help. Not afraid to say a murder happened here. Just was darn hard finding fully gentrified areas that fully look great again in a video worthy for me to choose to post her in defense.

Forget about the bad hood videos on Philadelphia all over youtube made by locals. Far too many. Then they call every neighborhood a hood. I use "hood" only if far more a bad neighborhood one to avoid for most people.

Dave/No Hyping???

Appreciate the analysis. I always felt like parts of Mt. Airy and germantown are hipsterish or 'bohemian'. Next time you're in the city I suggest stopping in those neighborhoods.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:05 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,460,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post

Sierra Vista, Arizona?

I was thinking the same thing. I notice a weird trend on C-D where people who are completely ignorant, have outdated views, or just had bad "one-off" experiences in cities like to visit threads pertaining to these cities to grief a bit. Whatever it is, anyone with any sense of cities would not describe Philadelphia as "dull." There are many negative descriptions that I would consider fair critiques, but "dull" is just silly. And yes, the poster's location while saying that is indeed ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Dave/No Hyping???

Appreciate the analysis. I always felt like parts of Mt. Airy and germantown are hipsterish or 'bohemian'. Next time you're in the city I suggest stopping in those neighborhoods.
I was also thinking the same thing here, lol. Actually, I think his posts get better each time he returns.

Old 10-07-2021, 05:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 10,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I notice a weird trend on C-D where people who are completely ignorant, have outdated views, or just had bad "one-off" experiences in cities like to visit threads pertaining to these cities to grief a bit. Whatever it is, anyone with any sense of cities would not describe Philadelphia as "dull." There are many negative descriptions that I would consider fair critiques, but "dull" is just silly. And yes, the poster's location while saying that is indeed ironic.
Right? That's as off-base as calling Las Vegas sophisticated and high-brow, lol.

Philadelphia is a lot of things, but "dull" is an absurd descriptor--especially when neurotic Philadelphians are in question.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:14 PM

828 posts, read 653,266 times
Philly is not a dull area; one of the least dull in the U.S. lol.

I always think of Philadelphia---Chicago----New York on a continuum with Chicago serving as intermediate to New York and Philly in terms of feel (kinda halfway between the two). Chicago has plenty of blue collar bars, areas and such though too, like Philly, and I consider Chicago to be more of a neighborhood focused city than either Philly (very NOT neighborhood focused as a city) or New York (has lots of cool neighborhoods, but always Lower Manhattan to Midtown focused fundamentally....this is beginning to change with Brooklyn though creating a more multipolar city).

Old 10-26-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Philly is not a dull area; one of the least dull in the U.S. lol.

I always think of Philadelphia---Chicago----New York on a continuum with Chicago serving as intermediate to New York and Philly in terms of feel (kinda halfway between the two). Chicago has plenty of blue collar bars, areas and such though too, like Philly, and I consider Chicago to be more of a neighborhood focused city than either Philly (very NOT neighborhood focused as a city) or New York (has lots of cool neighborhoods, but always Lower Manhattan to Midtown focused fundamentally....this is beginning to change with Brooklyn though creating a more multipolar city).
Philadelphia 's very neighborhood oriented to the point where some people identify with their block more than the specific neighborhood in some cases. You're more likely to hear "I'm from West Philly" and when someone ask "Where?" they'd say "61st and Catherine" rather than "Cobbs Creek". Even people who identify by neighborhoods ie; Frankford, Germantown, Olney ect; will still give the specific block.

People proudly where what section, neighborhood, and block they are from on their sleeve. Philadelphia's gotta be the quintessential "City of neighborhoods". Someone from West Philly isn't the same as someone from the Northeast, someone from "Uptown" isn't the same as someone from South. Each section is different and unique in it's own way and so are the people.

Old 10-26-2021, 02:03 PM

14,267 posts, read 9,147,998 times
Quote:
Philadelphia 's very neighborhood oriented to the point where some people identify with their block more than the specific neighborhood in some cases. You're more likely to hear "I'm from West Philly" and when someone ask "Where?" they'd say "61st and Catherine" rather than "Cobbs Creek". Even people who identify by neighborhoods ie; Frankford, Germantown, Olney ect; will still give the specific block.

People proudly where what section, neighborhood, and block they are from on their sleeve. Philadelphia's gotta be the quintessential "City of neighborhoods". Someone from West Philly isn't the same as someone from the Northeast, someone from "Uptown" isn't the same as someone from South. Each section is different and unique in it's own way and so are the people.
Actually, I think you and NDFan were talking past each other here, or perhaps more accurately, using the same phrase to mean different things.

I think that what NDFan meant is that the overall civic image, or the image presented to outsiders, is focused on a specific part or parts of the city: Center City here, Midtown and Lower Manhattan (or if you want to be more expansive, Manhattan in general) in New York. And I might quibble with him about Chicago inasmuch as the Loop and the lakeshore appear to me at least to be first among equals if not more prominent.

But you are right in that the residents themselves strongly identify with the neighborhoods they live in rather than the city center, and that their allegiances often drill down to the block level.

Old 10-26-2021, 02:43 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,102,242 times
Quote:
Dave/No Hyping???

I.e. Steeps…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.