Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2021, 06:44 PM

10,117 posts, read 9,997,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Believe it or not, a lot of foreigners i've spoken to know of Philadelphia via the cream cheese brand of all things lol and "west Philadelphia born and raised". I guess I underestimated how popular cream cheese is worldwide.
Philadelphia cream cheese is part of popular culture as well as Fresh Prince.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 07:10 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,127,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Philadelphia cream cheese is part of popular culture as well as Fresh Prince.
Fresh Prince I get but the Cream Cheese threw me off. Not sure why you commented though, I already realized how I underrated Cream Cheese's popularity. You can cease with the glib comments.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Fresh Prince I get but the Cream Cheese threw me off. Not sure why you commented though, I already realized how I underrated Cream Cheese's popularity. You can cease with the glib comments.
I commented because I wanted to. You also don't know the context of my comment.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I commented because I wanted to. You also don't know the context of my comment.
You're always patronizing me. It's an obvious one-sided vendetta because anything I say you have an opposing comment. Did I say something about your city/state that you didn't like? What's the root of this? I noticed this only started happening once I bought up racial issues. Sorry but it's unfortunately alive and well, and I don't care how uncomfortable it makes you. Enjoy being on my ignore list though.

Old 09-19-2021, 02:18 AM

Quote:
You're always patronizing me. It's an obvious one-sided vendetta because anything I say you have an opposing comment. Did I say something about your city/state that you didn't like? What's the root of this? I noticed this only started happening once I bought up racial issues. Sorry but it's unfortunately alive and well, and I don't care how uncomfortable it makes you. Enjoy being on my ignore list though.
You have the wrong poster. We've never conversed outside of the thread about MD and DC being southern, and we both agreed that they were. We've never discussed race. I don't have an issue with you.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:46 AM

14,216 posts, read 9,118,733 times
The funny thing is, the cream cheese was never made here. The guy who invented it was an upstate New York farmer who chose to name it for the city because of its reputation for fine food.

And that was in the years after the Civil War, well before the "Restaurant Renaissance."

But that (and Will Smith, who is from here) should tell you something about the city's international "brand awareness". It also says that our most recognizable landmarks (Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell) don't travel well beyond America's borders, and maybe even not that well within them.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The funny thing is, the cream cheese was never made here. The guy who invented it was an upstate New York farmer who chose to name it for the city because of its reputation for fine food.

And that was in the years after the Civil War, well before the "Restaurant Renaissance."

But that (and Will Smith, who is from here) should tell you something about the city's international "brand awareness". It also says that our most recognizable landmarks (Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell) don't travel well beyond America's borders, and maybe even not that well within them.
Yeah, 'Visit Philly' and 'Discover Philly" are terrible. At least the city is getting some more global recog. though; Time voted Philadelphia as one of the best travel destinations in the world last year.

There's a few people in the country who believe Philadelphia is it's own state, or didn't know how close it was to New York. Seems as if those people slept through 'Am. History' and 'Geography class.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:32 PM

14,216 posts, read 9,118,733 times
Quote:
Yeah, 'Visit Philly' and 'Discover Philly" are terrible. At least the city is getting some more global recog. though; Time voted Philadelphia as one of the best travel destinations in the world last year.

There's a few people in the country who believe Philadelphia is it's own state, or didn't know how close it was to New York. Seems as if those people slept through 'Am. History' and 'Geography class.
Time is just the latest in a string of publications that have declared Philadelphia a must-visit over the recent past.

In 2018, The New York Times gave Philadelphia the second spot in its list of "52 Places to Visit" that year. (I assume that the Times is suggesting you spend each weekend of the year in one of these places.)

The year before, National Geographic Traveler also listed Philadelphia as one of its picks for places readers must visit in the coming year. (I think their list had only 20 places on it.)

And in 2016, Condé Nast Traveler readers named North Third Street in Old City one of the "Best Shopping Streets in the World." TBH, that one had even me scratching my head, but that street is notable for its lack of Big Name Designer Boutiques; instead, the clothing stores along "N3rd Street" are all locally owned and feature items you won't find anywhere else. And it has a good number of home decor and design stores, an African art and collectibles shop and a store that began as an odd art gallery and is now a high-end craft distiller, Art in the Age (of Mechanical Reproduction).

Edited to add: I think each of these events may have happened a year or two earlier than I have them happening here.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:12 PM

663 posts, read 307,891 times
Chicago was just voted the 2nd most beautiful city in the world 2021.

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news...e-world-090921

Chicago was just ranked the second most beautiful city in the world (and the first in North America) by 27,000 Time Out Index survey voters from across the globe.

A whopping 79% of voters— second only to Prague—deemed the city beautiful, beating out famously gorgeous spots like Paris (which ranked third), Amsterdam and Vienna.

Seems when asked about Chicago. Votes in the beautiful column rated high. That is key to its rating. The core with its parks and lakefront setting with the skyline and architecture of skyscrapers.

Chicago made it as #7 city in the US by Travel and Leisure and its subscribers.
NYC at #5 and San Antonio at #6 were the large cities ahead of Chicago. Quaint smaller ones ruled like Charleston and Savannah and Santa Fe.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/wor...t/cities-in-us

Wow a list for 2022 out already below.
Chicago again makes the grade. Some use reader polls to determine which place lands at the top, while others base rankings on data like its livability or how easy it is to bike there. But Resonance below link, a consultancy group in real estate, tourism, and economic development, wanted to create a ranking that was more comprehensive.

The World’s 25 Best Cities of 2022.

https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/worlds-best-cities/

Chicago rank here is in the world despite issues and Covid is at #13. US cities ranking higher is NYC at #3 and LA at #8.

Chicago does good in so many rankings that continues despite its issues to have higher rankings vs most other US cities on global rankings and local politics even on C-D in the Chicago forum. The World alcolades still come.

But does it all make it cool or cooler then Philadelphia? I say yes. Sadly, politics today has overtaken some city forums to lessen their cities. Crime in both these cities plays a roll and their mayors disliked etc.

Sorry my links do not take properly. One can paste them and make them valid. Must be me.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:50 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,524,125 times
Exclamation This Is Philadelphia Today....!!!!!

This is Kensington Avenue......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEDi9AaTtHE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.