Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:21 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,486,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What a great country huh? Ive heard Minneapolis is like a smaller NYC, but also heard it is crazy freaking cold up there. Never been.
Not really. Vancouver is more like a small new york, but thats a story for another thread. How important is heat to you? Can you deal with cloudy or really snowy weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 AM

419 posts, read 658,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Im renting a 3 bedroom in columbia city area by the new PCC Market for 1200 a month ? And Seattle's been sunny for most of June And all of July we have had not a trace of precipitation. And sunny almost every day. Personally I would take cloudy Skys over deep freeze and cold durring the winter Seattle actually gets les rain than most east cost cities and snow is rare.

How long have you lived here? If you are new to the area of course it hasn't affected you - the grey skies that is. I have been here 30 years now and it started really bothering me about 5 years ago. I guess you can say I enjoyed it for 25 years.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:28 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,785,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Not really. Vancouver is more like a small new york, but thats a story for another thread. How important is heat to you? Can you deal with cloudy or really snowy weather?
Yeah, the person that told me that was from Iowa, so any place with skyscrapers to him is like NYC. I don't really like the heat. Love snow, but have never spent a winter in it.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,913 times
Default Denver is family friendly...

Haven't lived in the other cities you have listed, but am considering move to Seattle, Portland, Nashville or ? lol so your post caught my eye. I live in Denver, with kids in your son's age range. Fantastic place with lots of options for variety in the various suburbs.

With the legalization, there are quite a few people moving into Colorado. Vacancies are hard to find, scams are on the rise, and rents are on the high side. Good news is employment is great, wages are above average, all major sports exist in the city, transit is user friendly and above average...you can definitely get around without owning a car and without being inconvenienced.

I moved here from AZ and summer desert heat, never having experienced winters, and Denver is situated in such a way along the mountains that it really doesn't suffer the way other areas do. It may snow for a few days, but all the while the sun is usually shining at some point and the snow is melting quickly. It doesn't stay on the ground for days/weeks like it can in other areas (of course, like Chicago, we've had our record-breaker winters that were uncommonly cold or had alot of snow, but for the most part, it snows for a day or two, then it's sunny and melts away....then it snows for a day or two lol and then it's sunny again); summers get hot so you can enjoy the lakes and outdoors and be reminded of the summer heat in Texas, but breaking up those two seasons are an awesome spring and beautiful fall.

There are wildlife reserves in the area, easy access to mountains, diverse community, decent night life for singles, crime isn't bad (not counting the high number of high-profile shootings Colorado has had), schools are decent and there are an equal number of oil/gas opportunities to green jobs, especially in local farm markets, farm-to-table movements, solar and wind production.

Hope this helps. Contrary to what people are hoping, Denver has not dissolved into a stupor, kids are not toking up on the corner and the cartels have not taken over

Old 03-04-2014, 07:08 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,429,953 times
I would suggest NOVA. It's much more expensive than Texas but the job market here is good and the salaries make up for the cost of living. We also have great school systems and our unemployment rates are lower than the national average.

The only drawback is the awful traffic and congestion but beyond that it's a great area with lots of amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.