Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Let's also not forget Burkittsville, which was the setting of the Blair Witch Project.
i always laugh when I remember The setting was here, i live 15 minutes from there too, I even had an encounter with that witch

not really though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 02:36 PM

572 posts, read 1,995,245 times
Mounumental1 Relax on Oregon. Every state, every city, every neighborhood has it's own beauty. You're being sophomoric.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 PM

231 posts, read 1,142,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
Are you serrious?............The state right next to you .......Washington....... has everything you just mentioned, with a much larger major city......Seattle, sitting on a huge sound / Bay, connected to the Pacific Ocean, with the largest mountain in the cascade range pratically sitting in the Seattle metro area.

I think you got a little happy with the over hype of Oregon.

But it is good, that you like where you live at least.
Bigger is not necessarily better. Most of the time it is worse, actually..

Old 11-06-2007, 03:46 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Are you Serious Monumental???

Old 11-06-2007, 03:55 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post
That's not what my boyfriend says!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:06 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
That's not what my boyfriend says!
Uh.......

Uh.......

My poor ears!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 PM

146 posts, read 797,387 times
Hehe, Monumental1 doesn't like Portland, but that's alright. There's a few Seattle residents that feel Portland is trying to be another Seattle, but for me I don't feel that is the case. Oh well, not everyone has the same taste is how I feel. I notice a lot of people on these boards attack other cities, and are vehement in their defense of their own. However, it's all really silly. Some people like the sunny atmosphere of Los Angeles, others enjoy the hustle of NYC, some love the lakefront beauty of Chicago, and I enjoy the laid-back vibe of Portland.

I also really love Seattle. In fact, Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland are my three favorite West Coast cities. A lot of what Monumental1 says is true. Portland is a smaller city (though I wouldn't call it a town), it doesn't have a club scene like Seattle (I like the music scene here better than Seattle though), doesn't have the population of Seattle (but not far behind), and so on. However, it is not true the every metro on the West Coast has a larger population than Oregon. In fact, Seattle's metro is not larger population wise than Oregon state. Also, Seattle was not the first city to have a needle tower, so that could mean Seattle is actually a knock-off also.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 PM

288 posts, read 1,329,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post

Isn't that what little men say...lol...........

It's all a matter of opinion.........

and I say bigger is better.

New York
Chicago
Seattle
San Francisco etc. I love big cities.

funny thing is.........I like some small places also.......Like Oceanside, CA.

Portland just doesn't do it for me, or Oregon.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:36 PM

288 posts, read 1,329,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOR View Post
Hehe, Monumental1 doesn't like Portland, but that's alright. There's a few Seattle residents that feel Portland is trying to be another Seattle, but for me I don't feel that is the case. Oh well, not everyone has the same taste is how I feel. I notice a lot of people on these boards attack other cities, and are vehement in their defense of their own. However, it's all really silly. Some people like the sunny atmosphere of Los Angeles, others enjoy the hustle of NYC, some love the lakefront beauty of Chicago, and I enjoy the laid-back vibe of Portland.

I also really love Seattle. In fact, Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland are my three favorite West Coast cities. A lot of what Monumental1 says is true. Portland is a smaller city (though I wouldn't call it a town), it doesn't have a club scene like Seattle (I like the music scene here better than Seattle though), doesn't have the population of Seattle (but not far behind), and so on. However, it is not true the every metro on the West Coast has a larger population than Oregon. In fact, Seattle's metro is not larger population wise than Oregon state. Also, Seattle was not the first city to have a needle tower, so that could mean Seattle is actually a knock-off also.
Portland is just not my style,..........for others like yourself it might be. (nothing wrong with that)

About the attacking other cities, thing, and defending your own......I could say the same about you, (but I won't) I don't care. It's just one mans opinion on one place wich is fine with me.

I stated what I saw, and what I got from Portland.........and it was something I don't like, .......and the city offers me little to nothing I look for in a big city.

no night scene, no vibe, no big city flavor, that small town slow pace feel, is not what I call a city. IMO....because that is not my style.

Thats what Portland feels like, and looks like to me!

People attack L.A. all the time, and that is my second home, that I trully love as much as Seattle. Half of if not most of my family is from L.A. I have a place there. (I think the L.A. attacks come from people who really want in IMO) But that's another topic.

You were right about one thing though: Seattle's metro is about the same as the entire state of Oregons population not more (yet)

State of Oregon population - 3,421,399

Seattle - CSA 3,991,911
MSA - 3,263,497

note these numbers are two years old. The CSA should be over 4 million now and the MSA around 3.4+ or so.

• The Space Needle had the second revolving restaurant in the world. The first one was in the Ala Moana shopping mall in Hawaii (now closed). There are now hundreds of turntables throughout the world.

So the space needle was the second one ever or what ever..........(Who on earth knows of the first one?) The space needle is an Icon, that countless cities have coppied. It's just a fact. It's the most famous of it's kind, and completely the symbol of Seattle.

Back to cities.

I'm a New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, Miami, Vancouver, B.C. type of guy. Do you really think Portland fits in this category?

I think Portland should stick to it's small town feel, because for that part it does well I think. They get good press for doing little things well. (Don't try to keep up with the big boys, or try to be Seattle IMO) continue to do you.

Big City.......is just what..... it simply is not. Nothing wrong with that.

By the way, that ocean picture was breathtaking.

Personally I like seeing people rep their cities, (even though we all know some you wouldn't write home about) but that's cool.

Just don't go overboard with it, and take things personal like your city is your fisrt born. It's sad, there are people on this forum, I just choose to pay no attention to because they are that ridiculous. You seem a bit brighter.

There are aspects in other cities I wish Seattle had, no one city is perfect. Some are just damn near close though

Breathe easy

Monumental1

Old 11-07-2007, 01:02 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Albuquerque,New Mexico area
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r90/jaredtorre/AlbqSkylinefromUniversity.jpg?t=1194418951 (broken link)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r90/jaredtorre/Snakeinthemedian.jpg?t=1194419061 (broken link)

Santa Fe

Chimayo,NM famous for chile,lowriders and the church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.