Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 PM

15 posts, read 28,576 times

Advertisements

Dubble, you can ask for lots of advice and people will give it about what they know, but what you really need to do is some road trips. You're from NYC. If you like "east coast small town" try New England or down South, even Long Island. We live near Baltimore and are about 3 years out from retirement. Both of us are small-town midwesters (Michigan and upstate NY), so we feel most comfortable with a 5-10K population a long way from big cities.

We're finding it comfortable to take a couple of weeks vacation time every year to park ourselves in a rental cottage in a locale and check out the real estate, the restaurants, the churches, the people, etc. This year's jaunt is Alpena, Michigan. Next year it may be Vermont or western NC.

If you're looking for a place to live until you die, don't just listen to what one person had to say and think, "maybe he's right." It would be a mistake not to look for yourself before you leap. It's fun, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 07:12 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Upstate NY is in the Midwest? Upstate NY has plenty of those 5-10,000 places away from a big city. Saranac Lake, Ticonderoga, Potsdam, Canton and Penn Yan come to mind.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-12-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 01:29 PM

15 posts, read 28,576 times
Well, when I said "Upstate" I was talking about Fredonia/Dunkirk, along L. Erie. Hard to go further west without hitting PA. They don't consider themselves east-coasters there.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:47 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiring2017 View Post
Well, when I said "Upstate" I was talking about Fredonia/Dunkirk, along L. Erie. Hard to go further west without hitting PA. They don't consider themselves east-coasters there.
I know what you mean, but all of NY and PA is still in the Northeast. With that said, they do say "Pop" instead of Soda.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,904 times
Lake Shasta up in Northern California is a good place to look at.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 PM

309 posts, read 759,739 times
Victoria, British Columbia. Unless you have a DUI. Haha.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:34 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Ferndale, CA is a quaint little Victorian town on the Pacific Ocean.
Lots of cannabis up there, too; that'll mellow you out for sure LOL

Old 06-18-2013, 04:39 PM

122 posts, read 181,018 times
Gatlinburg - Pigeon Forge, Tn. Its like a Myrtle Beach and International Drive in Orlando nested at the foot of the smokies. Was surprised at how many things there were to do there. Atmosphere is welcoming and relaxing and the natural landscape and scenery surrounding it is absolutely breathtaking

Old 06-18-2013, 04:56 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextNextDoor View Post
I don't care what state it's in. I just want a nice small town or city far away from all of the pretentiousness, the selfishness, and of course away from the "big city" people.

I've lived in New York all my life, and let me tell you the people really take a toll on you. I find myself wondering at night, why am I here? Why do I keep doing this to myself? I know I'm not enjoying this, so why do I even bother saying? Honestly it's because I'm obsessed with planning. I can't do something without knowing exactly how it will plan out, even if it doesn't end up the way I planned it. I'm constantly stressed out, and for some reason, planning puts me at ease.

At this point though, I'm going to end up killing someone if I stay in this city any longer. My issue is honestly I have no idea where to go. I had this dream the other day about this small town along the coastline. Life there was perfect. The people were so nice and nothing like the stereotypical New Yorker. I saw this guy and he kept repeating this word to me over and over, but as soon as I woke up I forgot what he kept repeating.

I know this perfect little town of mine seems ridiculous, but really I think it's my mind telling me it's time for me to just get away. I just wished I knew where to go.
I've lived in NYC all my life too and NYC is nothing like that. Maybe the problem isnt NYC- maybe the problem is you.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinikal View Post
Its like a Myrtle Beach and International Drive in Orlando nested at the foot of the smokies.
I find Gatlinburg to be a nightmare for that precise reason.

Many people go to places like the Smoky Mountains to get away from Ripley's Believe It Or Not and Hard Rock Cafe and other loud, flashy American "tourism" inventions that have literally nothing to do with the place that you're visiting. Finding a whole town full of that schlock in such a beautiful setting was quite jarring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.