Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:47 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Does the coastline have to be an ocean coast? I think that there are a lot of places in Michigan on Lake Huron like Frankenmuth, Tawas City, and Alpena that would fit your description. Or pretty much anywhere on the Lake Erie coast between Toledo and Cleveland.

Frankenmuth is not on a lake.

The west coast of Michigan has dozens of neat small and medium size towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 05:07 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Yah, I think most people agree what you described can be found all over the country. Charming small towns are everywhere. You'll probably need to use other factors to guide your decision. COL, job prospects, proximity to friends and family, particular interests like fishing, surfing, hunting, or other things that folks in small towns might enjoy (not that city folk dont do those things).

Anyway, with nothing to go on then I speak for the "small town areas" that I know: St Augustine, FL is pretty awesome as described already. It has enough happening but still very laid back. Will get touristy in certain areas and seasons, but not to the point where you can't avoid it. Fernandina Beach, FL (Amelia Island) is another option similar to St Augustine but smaller. Both of these towns are 30-45 min from Jacksonville if you ever need big city amenities.

Savannah, GA is beautiful, historic, and vibrant. You'll have easy access to the beach but the town itself isn't on the ocean. Still, a lovely place although it's perhaps a little bit bigger than what I'd normally think of for "small town america"

Port St Lucie, FL is more of the quintessential small town. I think I'd lose my mind there. But it's beautiful...in general the beaches further south in Florida seem to be prettier. I bet you can find lots of tiny beach towns along the Florida coast but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 7,301 times
Again, thank you so much you guys for all of the recommendations! I'm really looking forward this. And to the person who said something about investing in some kind of stress therapy or whatever, no thanks. No amount of massages or good smelling candles are going to change the fact that I need to get away from New York. I've lived here all of my life and I can surely say without a doubt that I may have been born and raise here, but this city just isn't for me.

To everyone else... Wow, just wow. I feel like taking some sort of road trip just to see all of these places. I really appreciate the fact so many of you guys took the time to post about your own or your favorite little towns, so thank you.

And to answer any questions about having to be on the east, it definitely doesn't have to be on the east coast. Even if the place was across the country, I really wouldn't mind. Also, the coastline was just a preference. I love those kind of places where you can just go out on a boat and fish all day. It's so peaceful.

Oh! And one more thing (sorry this is so long!), to anyone who thinks I'm having some sort of breakdown and want to just hide in a cave or something, I know my original post seemed a little bit like it was posted just on an impulse and that I'd change my mind later, but it really wasn't. It's been my dream to find this perfect little town and only recently have I been financially ready AND actually have the time to take this little getaway and eventually find my future home where I'll retire.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:13 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
Beaufort SC....A hidden gem

Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,682 times
Savannah,Ga, ,Jekyll Island,Ga, St Simons Island....Seeing a pattern here? the coast of Georgia has some beautiful little towns all all the way down to Florida. One of the best hings about it is ,most people forget about us. Our weather is just as nice as Florida,and our beaches aren't over run with large resorts!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:30 AM

591 posts, read 820,599 times
Naples, FL is my favorite small city in the U.S. Actually, it's my favorite place in the world.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Whenever my family and I want a getaway from Boston, we head up to Maine for the weekend. I could easily see myself living up there one day later in life. Portland is an incredible little city, super laid back, on the coast with great restaurants, museums and amenities. For something a little more secluded we head up to Georgetown Island Maine to the Five Islands area, another wonderful destination.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 AM

591 posts, read 820,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Whenever my family and I want a getaway from Boston, we head up to Maine for the weekend. I could easily see myself living up there one day later in life. Portland is an incredible little city, super laid back, on the coast with great restaurants, museums and amenities. For something a little more secluded we head up to Georgetown Island Maine to the Five Islands area, another wonderful destination.
The parts of Maine I've visited are beautiful, especially in the summer and early fall. Unfortunately, I've never been that far up in Maine.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
I'll second Newport, and add Eugene, Oregon - a larger town, in the valley instead of the coast, but it has the vibe you're looking for.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:29 PM

225 posts, read 352,284 times
I don't know if these towns have been mentioned yet but I'll offer up Lambertville, NJ and New Hope, PA. These two towns are right across the Delaware River from one another and are surrounded by nothing but wooded areas and farmland. Both towns have great restaurants, art galleries, and a lot of historic architecture. There is nothing more relaxing than walking across the bridge that connects the two towns on a summer evening after eating outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.