Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:20 PM

60 posts, read 75,734 times

Advertisements

Hi-
There is so much wonderful information on this board it makes me dizzy.
From what I see, there is no perfect place to live so I am looking for a "nice" place for my GF and I to settle.

Us:
Young, very active, application developers, cats-no children.

Currently living:
Upstate NY, Pop 40,000 or so. Fully employed with 3yrs exp. for me and 8yrs for her doing application development. We have a small house. The weather here is dismal.

Would like :
1) A "Nice" small city which is practical and livable. It Doesn't have to be stunning.
2) "Good" outdoor activity friendly weather. Not too humid-hot, minimal rain, mild winters, no snow even better!
3) Access to tennis courts (lit and/or affordable indoor), mountain biking, parks etc;
4) Decent employment outlook for computer professionals.
5) Sane commuting.
6) On the liberal/cultured side.
7) Affordable rent and housing.

Upstate has great people but the weather and job outlook is the pitts.
We are both realistic and realize that no place is perfect. We would like to upgrade to an area that is a better fit.
Thanks in advance!
Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 12:56 PM

93,444 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmtb View Post
Hi-
From what I see, there is no perfect place to live so I am looking for a "nice" place for my GF and I to settle.

Us:

Currently living:
Upstate NY, Pop 40,000 or so. Fully employed with 3yrs exp. for me and 8yrs for her doing application development. We have a small house. The weather here is dismal.

Would like :
1) A "Nice" small city which is practical and livable. It Doesn't have to be stunning.
2) "Good" outdoor activity friendly weather. Not too humid-hot, minimal rain, mild winters, no snow even better!
3) Access to tennis courts (lit and/or affordable indoor), mountain biking, parks etc;
5) Sane commuting.

We are both realistic and realize that no place is perfect. We would like to upgrade to an area that is a better fit.
Thanks in advance!
Ken
Are you sure about the job outlook? Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

With that said, look into college towns maybe like Blacksburg VA, Morgantown WV, Athens GA, Clemson SC and maybe Wilmington NC, among some others.

Lastly, if you reconsider, look into Ithaca, Saratoga Springs, Glens Falls or Plattsburgh.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-06-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Hi-
Thanks for the feedback. The unemployment rate for Binghamton is deceiving. The numbers are padded with tons of service oriented jobs that barely pay minimum wage. The number of tech positions available are sparse to none.
I currently work in Ithaca and commute 100+ miles a day.
As a side note, Ithaca is nice but the weather is worse than Binghamton

Old 11-06-2011, 04:32 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Amherst, MA is nice, if you can land a job in Springfield, or even UMASS, same size as your NY city about 37,000, but quieter in the summer when roughly 31,000 college students go home.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:37 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,333,624 times
Quote:
Hi-

Us:

Currently living:

Would like :
5) Sane commuting.

Thanks in advance!
Ken
I would suggest Lafayette, LA.
Very practical and liveable by all means, does get pretty humid and hot, mild winters and no snow (maybe once a year), not sure about tennis courts because I don't play, I believe there are many parks, but no mountains unfortunately, there is an emerging tech industry, especially with the university being there, traffic can get bad but is not dreadful even for a small city, very very extremely cultured, wouldn't say liberal but with a large student population, it isn't overly conservative, and housing is well priced as far as I know.

Cannot express the culture enough, if you've ever heard of Cajuns, they are from Lafayette and surrounding towns only.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:15 PM

The LA humidity would be a killer but Ill give it a look. Thanks for the info on Amherst. It would be nice to get away from cold winters though. My GF and I are really into warm weather activities. I read somewhere Sacramento Ca. wasn't too bad.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:09 PM

93,444 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Hi-
Thanks for the feedback. The unemployment rate for Binghamton is deceiving. The numbers are padded with tons of service oriented jobs that barely pay minimum wage. The number of tech positions available are sparse to none.
I currently work in Ithaca and commute 100+ miles a day.
As a side note, Ithaca is nice but the weather is worse than Binghamton
Worse in what way?

As for Binghamton, I'd think the colleges, hospitals and a handful of companies(I.e.- BAE and Endicott Interconnect) is where some people work too.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,192,387 times
Quote:
The LA humidity would be a killer but Ill give it a look. Thanks for the info on Amherst. It would be nice to get away from cold winters though. My GF and I are really into warm weather activities. I read somewhere Sacramento Ca. wasn't too bad.
Sacramento isn't exactly a small city.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 AM

6,913 posts, read 8,287,541 times
Quote:
You really should look into Sacramento. It's not small, but depending on what neighborhood you live in and if your commute is short it feels smaller.

Also, Look into DAVIS, CA. College town 10 miles from downtown SAC. (COL is higher though).

DAVIS is on the Capitol Corridor Train Route that connects Sacramento with the Bay Area. (15-20 trains a day; either direction)

Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 AM

6,913 posts, read 8,287,541 times
More on SACRAMENTO:

Look at the thread a few below this one: "Vibrant, International....."

and another thread several below under "wanting to move..."

I posted several entries in both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.