Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Here is what I found from this firefly website: About Firefly Habitats and Where You Can Find Fireflies Living - Firefly.org

"Fireflies love humid, warm environments. In the U.S., almost no species of fireflies are found west of Kansas—although there are also warm and humid areas to the west. Nobody is sure why this is. There are many species of fireflies throughout the world, and the most diversity in species is found in tropical Asia as well as Central and South America."

That's not the answer I was looking for lol! My kids are dying to see fireflies. Maybe we'll have to take a drive east one evening this summer.
DH says they have fireflies in Omaha. I don't know where the cutoff is between Omaha and Denver where they peter out. My kids went crazy over them when we visited friends in DC one summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:38 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
DH says they have fireflies in Omaha. I don't know where the cutoff is between Omaha and Denver where they peter out. My kids went crazy over them when we visited friends in DC one summer.
It's probably where the humid continental climate zone ends and the arid continental climate zone begins, right around the middle of the state.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:48 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
I used to feed this stray cat that would hang around my house and every time he saw me come outside he would come running. One night it was pitch black, I could hardly see but I heard him meowing in the distance and the meows were getting closer. Finally about 50 feet from me I saw this flickering green light coming towards me on the ground. He had a lightning bug on top off his noggin, Reminded me of a coal miners helmet.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:53 PM

542 posts, read 691,675 times
Wow, this thread makes me nostalgic for my childhood. I lived on Long Island for a time as a kid and my sister and I would always go out around sunset to look for the first sparks of light. We called them both fire flies and lightning bugs. I miss that.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:48 AM

68 posts, read 109,894 times
Virginia has a ton of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.