Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Pittsburghers May think of themselves as being in the northeast, but no one in the Boston-Washington corridor gives Pittsburgh any thought as to being a northeastern city.

Having lived in all three, Pittsburgh has much more in common with Chicago than it does Philly.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Then they're morons. There is more to the Northeast than I-95. What don't some people get that.
I agree with Brad. Having lived in Illinois (Champaign) with a lot of connections to Chicago, and having grown up in Pittsburgh, the two cities do not have much of a relationship. There's a lot more back and forth between Pgh and DC than Pgh and Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Actually Pittsburgh is northwestern Pa city, but Ohio is the gateway to the Midwest. Which means that Pa (especially Pittsburgh) should be considered to be the gateway to the east coast.

Erie and Buffalo which are north and northeast to Pittsburgh have to be (according to logic) Northeaster cities.

Now the lifestyles of these cities (I have lived in 2 out of 3 of them) can be considered to be a little more laid back then many die hard east coast cities.
One of Pittsburgh's nicknames is the "Gateway". It's a popular name there.

Gateway Clipper Fleet
One example of many.

Erie is still in Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Erie are all part of the Interior Northeast.

The South can be divided into five different regions: the Atlantic South, the Appalachian South, the Deep South, the Mid-South and the Gulf South. The West can be divided into regions: California, the Pacific Northwest, the Desert Southwest, the Great Basin and the Rocky Mountains. The former two regions are part of the West Coast, and the latter three are part of the Interior West.

The Midwest is unique in that it has two cultural gradients that most accurately define its subregions: Industrial versus Agrarian, and Upper versus Lower. As a general rule, here's how the states align:

Industrial Upper Midwest: Michigan, Wisconsin
Agrarian Upper Midwest: Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota
Industrial Lower Midwest: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio
Agrarian Lower Midwest: Kansas, Missouri

If the South, the West and the Midwest can all be divided into subregions, then the Northeast can too.

Northern New England: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont
Southern New England: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island
Mid-Atlantic Coast: Delaware, New Jersey, eastern and central Maryland, "downstate" New York, eastern Pennsylvania
Interior Mid-Atlantic: Western Maryland, "upstate" New York, western and central Pennsylvania, northern West Virginia

Southern New England and the Mid-Atlantic Coast are part of the Coastal Northeast. Northern New England and the Interior Mid-Atlantic are part of the Interior Northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with Brad. Having lived in Illinois (Champaign) with a lot of connections to Chicago, and having grown up in Pittsburgh, the two cities do not have much of a relationship. There's a lot more back and forth between Pgh and DC than Pgh and Chicago.
Pittsburgh has more back-and-forth with Washington DC, Philadelphia and New York each than it does with Chicago. Honestly, if I had to figure out whether a city is located in the Northeast or Midwest, I'd ask one simple question: Does the city have a stronger migration network with New York or Chicago? If the answer is New York, then it's Northeastern. If the answer is Chicago, then it's Midwestern.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:

One of Pittsburgh's nicknames is the "Gateway". It's a popular name there.

Gateway Clipper Fleet
One example of many.

Erie is still in Pennsylvania.
This is one of those "only on city data" things. Ive never heard anyone ask this in real life.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
This is one of those "only on city data" things. Ive never heard anyone ask this in real life.
That's the truth! When I lived in Illinois, everyone, and I mean everyone from Illinois thought I was from the east.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:06 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Quote:
Pittsburghers May think of themselves as being in the northeast, but no one in the Boston-Washington corridor gives Pittsburgh any thought as to being a northeastern city.
And Maryland and DC aren't even part of the Northeast...how can BosWash determine all that is "really" Northeastern" if it's not even entirely in the Northeast itself?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:07 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
That's the truth! When I lived in Illinois, everyone, and I mean everyone from Illinois thought I was from the east.
Oh one more thing, I was watching a program called "Wylie Ave Days" and they mentioned that during the Jazz heydays they refered Pittsburgh's Hill district as "the Gateway to the East" as the first stop the really big acts go to before they get to New York.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Quote:
They are wrong. The east coast is provincial in some ways, and one of those ways is that a lot of people there don't have a good grasp of what other parts of the country are really like. I grew up in the interior northeast. A lot of people on the coast have no idea that region exists or what it is. It certainly isn't part of the Midwest.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
They are wrong. The east coast is provincial in some ways, and one of those ways is that a lot of people there don't have a good grasp of what other parts of the country are really like.
Indeed. People on the forum tend to make fun of people from NYC/Boston who say DC or Baltimore is Southern. Why should they take people from these areas saying anything west of the I-95 corridor is Midwestern seriously?

More generally, Pittsburgh has almost no Midwestern characteristics. What it has is a strong mix of northeastern and Northern Appalachia. People from the Bos-Wash corridor notice the alien aspect, and just assume it's Midwestern.

In contrast, Erie, even moreso Buffalo (or Rochester, and even Syracuse to a degree), do have real Midwestern attributes. Some of the best examples of "prairie" architecture, for example, are in Buffalo. But what it really is about is the Great Lakes cities associate with one another far more than they do with anywhere else.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I lived in Pittsburgh and Philly and other places in PA. Philly is as close to Pittsburgh
as Memphis is to New York. Relative to PA, Pittsburgh is midwestern. A world apart
from anywhere else in PA. I live in KY now, and Pittsburgh is closer to Louisville and
other midwestern cities than any other PA metro area.
I would not consider Louisville to be a Midwestern city. It is Southern culturally, linguistically, demographically, and pretty much historically.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
They are wrong. The east coast is provincial in some ways, and one of those ways is that a lot of people there don't have a good grasp of what other parts of the country are really like. I grew up in the interior northeast. A lot of people on the coast have no idea that region exists or what it is. It certainly isn't part of the Midwest.
Agreed. I find it amazing how the East is only 100 miles away from the coast according to some people in a country that's nearly 3,000 miles wide. What a provincial attitude. I also know quite a few people who came to Pittsburgh for college from Eastern PA and NJ and they never thought of it as the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.