Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since Buffalo and Pittsburgh were settled before the Midwest wouldn't it be more accurate to ask if Chicago, St. Louis, etc. are more Eastern/North Eastern than Midwestern?
^^This!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Basketball, which is big in NY State, eastern PA and the major metros in the Northeast?
Basketball is also big in smaller districts throughout PA, especially in the Catholic schools (for some reason).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Mid-western IMO the Northeast is The Eastern tip of Lake Ontario, south to the Wyoming Valley of PA. After that Hockey is no longer the flagship sport of colleges (football is) the industry was steel/metal thing, to the east it was textiles/paper.
And yet, you know what industry Pennsylvania has never been a major player in? Cars. That's the signature industry of the Midwest, starting in Lordstown, OH. Cleveland produced some steel, but its true calling card was automotive components, mechanisms and accessories. A great many of them were invented there. Conversely, Pittsburgh provided the paint and glass for cars, but its true calling card was steel, aluminum and other metals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since Buffalo and Pittsburgh were settled before the Midwest wouldn't it be more accurate to ask if Chicago, St. Louis, etc. are more Eastern/North Eastern than Midwestern?
When comparing Pennsylvania with Ohio in another topic on this site, I illustrated how all parts of Pennsylvania (except possibly Erie) had been extensively settled before 1800, while Ohio wasn't extensively settled until after 1800. This is another reason why I consider the boundary between the Northeast and Midwest to be a soft boundary somewhere between Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Pittsburgh and Buffalo are in the interior northeast which is culturally different from the coastal northeast (Philly, NJ , NYC, Connecticut, Boston) because of the similarities with the Midwest. So yes they are northeastern but not coastal northeastern.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
Pittsburgh is its own thing. Is it Appalachian, NEastern, or Midwestern?

Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Does Chicago exert more influence on Buffalo and Pittsburgh more than do NYC and Philadelphia? I doubt it.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:34 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
I'd say Northeastern, but they still don't feel all that different from cities like Cleveland, St. Louis, or Milwaukee.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I'd say Northeastern, but they still don't feel all that different from cities like Cleveland, St. Louis, or Milwaukee.
If we're judging commonality with Midwestern cities, I'd argue that Pittsburgh has more in common with Cincinnati and St. Louis than it does with Cleveland and Milwaukee. A lot of people don't pay enough attention to the east/west-oriented development and cultural patterns between the Atlantic Ocean and the Mississippi River. Great Lakes culture traces its roots to New England, whereas Lower Midwestern culture traces its roots to the Mid-Atlantic.

Boston -> Providence -> Hartford -> Rochester -> Buffalo -> Cleveland -> Detroit -> Chicago -> Milwaukee

Philadelphia -> Baltimore -> Washington DC -> Pittsburgh -> Columbus -> Cincinnati -> Indianapolis -> St. Louis

In terms of the extra-large cities, Cleveland has more commonality with Boston and Chicago, whereas Pittsburgh has more commonality with Philadelphia and Washington DC. New York is a blend of both patterns of culture and development. North of I-80 and Suffolk County on Long Island are more like New England, whereas south of I-80 and Nassau County on Long Island are more Mid-Atlantic.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Never in a million years would I say that NY and PA are midwestern. Northeast definitely.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Pittsburgh is its own thing. Is it Appalachian, NEastern, or Midwestern?
Appalachian geographically, midwestern philosophically

Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Appalachian geographically, midwestern philosophically

More accurately, using your metric, the Mid West is philosophically like Pittsburgh as it predates most Mid Western cities.

This whole subject is goofy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.