Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

No, don't want to live in a city. San Francisco has too many rules and a high cost of living. Portland has too many homeless. Austin has too many ex-Californians meaning they'll bring those California attitudes with them. Don't know enough about Seattle to comment. Can't remember if it's Portland or Seattle with all of the street druggies. Boston is too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 05:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
No, not jealous, b/c there is nothing stopping me to moving to any of them. I am jealous of some of my friends who got some jobs in Europe or Australia sometimes though, as it is harder to come by. I've lived in the most expensive place on the list SF, and not jealous of people there nor Boston. I've never considered Portland Seattle or Austin whatsoever. The weather is an immediate deal killer for Portland or Seattle and Austin is too small and isolated from other places in the country I like.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:05 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
I get jealous. On that list only of those living in Boston or San Francisco. I don't really care about the others.

But I HATE the city I live in currently (Tampa). It isn't small by any means, but I find it to be a completely bland and culturless place. I am 25 now and I worry that I am getting too old to get out. The economy will never get better so just jumping up and moving (as I have done three times now) is out of the question.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
These five cities are arguably the hottest cities in the country right now and possibly the best and most exciting places to live if you are a twentysomething. For those who can't move to Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, or Boston, do you envy those who do live there? What is keeping you from moving to one of the above cities?
yes, I have a great deal of envy and what is keeping me from moving to any of them is the stringent coolness requirements that these cities' D.I.C.s (Domestic Interview Commissions) have put me through when I have applied for admission. Are you a member to any of these D.I.C. organizations and could you perhaps put in a good word for me at your next meeting? Would it help if I brought a bicycle helmet into one of the hearings next time?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:09 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
No... I honestly don't. DH & I are in our 20s and we chose to move to St. Louis after he got out of the Marine Corps, mainly due to the low cost of living coupled with wonderful cultural amenities. Although I love Seattle, and it would be my second or third option as a city to live in, the cost of living (mainly housing) almost completely rules it out as a permanent location.

So, no, I'm very, very happy with St. Louis
Just an FYI, people on this message board don't typically use the "DH", "DD", "DS", etc. type of shorthand when referring to significant others. Many find those types of shorthands to be annoying and insincere.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
[quote=orzo;28726078]Just an FYI, people on this message board don't typically use the "DH", "DD", "DS", etc. type of shorthand when referring to significant others. Many find those types of shorthands to be annoying and insincere.[/quote]

Actually, I would bet that is just you.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Just an FYI, people on this message board don't typically use the "DH", "DD", "DS", etc. type of shorthand when referring to significant others. Many find those types of shorthands to be annoying and insincere.
I see it all the time on here, more in the local forums though. Also I've never seen anyone be bothered by it either.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,960 times
[quote=InsaneTraveler;28726092]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Just an FYI, people on this message board don't typically use the "DH", "DD", "DS", etc. type of shorthand when referring to significant others. Many find those types of shorthands to be annoying and insincere.[/quote]

Actually, I would bet that is just you.
Actually, this came up a couple of years ago on a General US/City vs. City thread and a number of people agreed that those shorthands were annoying and insincere and really had no place on these boards (Not all city data forums, just the urban/city-planning/city-advice ones). I've never even seen them on the local boards, but I'm sure they exist in the relationship/parenting, etc. ones.

Consider it a social norm, not something that would be strictly enforced.

Last edited by orzo; 03-18-2013 at 06:26 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM

361 posts, read 748,662 times
Seattle, Boston and San Francisco - NEVER.

Austin? ALL the time. Without question one of the coolest cities ever.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
I don't even know what DD/DH/DS mean... can somebody inform me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.