Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 PM

10 posts, read 19,060 times

Advertisements

I know a thousand threads have been started on the topic, but the ones I've seen haven't been helpful for me so far. I'm a 30-year-old, single mom of a two-year-old girl and 9-year-old boy. We're an Af-Am family looking for diversity (not just to be around people of my own ethnic background). I work from home in graphic design and social media, so I'm completely open as to wear I can go, but I do also have an accounting degree (so somewhere that it would be useful if needed might be good).

Mostly, I'd like to be in a city that is diverse with lots of cultural and fun activities for kids and a great school system. I'd like to live somewhere where driving is optional and the weather is mild. A good social scene would be nice, but not above the aforementioned qualities. I think I'd rather live in a fairly large city, like a population of ~500K or up, but not in a city with less than ~250k. Affordable rent is necessary also, maybe around $1000? And an area with diverse, non-traditional, non-denominational churches would be nice as well.

I'm from a small town in eastern NC, so I'm looking for something that is completely different than that. I'm potentially eying Portland, OR; Virginia Beach, VA; Brooklyn, NY, but I'm not completely sold on either of them. Very open to possibilities that have most of what I need.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,845,174 times
A good place to start would be a prioritized list of perhaps a dozen 'must haves' and maybe another dozen 'would likes.' Then, you can began to assign values to those for potential locations, based on research, advice etc. ... and start to 'narrow down the possibilities.'

Remember the 'Alice in Wonderland' exchange between Alice and the caterpillar. "Which way do I go, which way do I go?" cried Alice. "Where are you going?" asked the caterpillar. "I don't really know" responded Alice. "Then, it really doesn't matter which direction you go" concluded the caterpillar.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,950,718 times
Although NYC is nice, I don't think you'll have a ton of luck finding what you want in NYC for those prices. Chicago probably offers the next best if you want an NYC environment for a much cheaper price with a lot of public transit with all the diversity and what not. Philadelphia probably next after that IMO. Portland's not a bad place and very progressive, although not incredibly diverse. Same goes for Seattle (Seattle more diverse than Portland). The Pacific Northwest is pretty progressive, but so is Chicago and I believe Philadelphia is too. Some other areas that come to mind are Austin, TX and Minneapolis. Best places for public transit/diverse places of the places you could afford IMO is Chicago followed by Philadelphia, but I'm pretty sure there are other cities you can afford where you can get by without a car.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,008,363 times
Believe it or not, Cleveland would be ideal for you....particularly the east side suburbs of Shaker Heights, Coventry Village and Cleveland Heights.

City of Cleveland Heights, OH : About Us
Coventry Village | Cleveland Heights Ohio
City of Shaker Heights - About
http://www.riderta.com/pdf/maps/Syst...id_Connect.pdf

Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 AM

93,488 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Another area you may be interested in is the Columbus OH area, which is growing, while having a strong black middle class and diverse areas throughout the metro area.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 19,758 times
With everything you said, I'd recommend Dallas, TX. The only hang-up is I'm not a strong believer in the Dallas school system. So you may consider one of the bordering cities like Plano, Arlington or Euless. Euless is where I'm living currently and it's great as far as diversity goes. Dallas is 30 minutes one way and Fort Worth is thirty minutes the other way. It's also an excellent place to raise your family. Hope you find a good home, wherever you go!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:00 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,635,012 times
Why not atlanta or charlotte where rents are cheap and population is still relatively growing? I wouldn't move to a northern city, people are fleeing places like Philadelphia and Baltimore and NYC is crazy expensive.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
I've been watching HGTV and have been shocked at how much house (and nice ones, too) you can get for your money in Atlanta and the outskirts of Atlanta. It is definitely affordable to live there. I've only visited there and have no children so I can't speak to your needs.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 AM

10 posts, read 19,060 times
Thanks for your suggestions so far. Ohio and Texas are also on the radar. I think like jghorton mentioned, I should make a list and get things narrowed down. Anyone have any thoughts on Indianapolis???

Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,008,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasheiarw View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on Indianapolis???
It's a nice city in parts but won't offer the neighborhood diversity you're after and it certainly isn't the most appealing public transit city, especially when factoring in where you would have to live in order to find the good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.