Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Ohio is probably the closest thing to America in Miniature than I've seen.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Gee, I didn't know Wal-mart was exclusive to the south.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
What is it that Missouri's lacking? I just don't see West Virginia as being a Northern state in any sense...culturally, lingustically, and demographically, 3/4 of it is almost completely Southern. The only thing Northern about any of it is which side it fought on in the Civil War, and even then, Bobilee does a good job of showing that at least 2/3 of the state was on the side of the Confederacy. South of Morgantown and Clarksburg West Virginia is 100% Southern Appalachia. And there is absolutely nothing Midwestern about the vast majority it. And West Virginia doesn't represent the Western states at all.
West Virginia is more of a gradual transition state from north to south. It's not 100% southern Appalachia south of Clarksburg. My mother's family is from central West Virginia (Buckhannon area) and they would laugh in your face if you called them southern. They wouldn't mind "Appalachian," which could mean northern or southern. Really about the only parts of I would southern Appalachian would be the counties south of I-64, with strong emphasis along the Kentucky and Virginia borders. Interestingly, according to the most updated dialect maps, the vast majority of the state falls in the South and North Midland speech patterns, not the twangy mountain dialect found in TN, KY, etc.

Of course opinions vary across the state, with the southern counties leaning more to a southern identity.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I guess. I mean, I could see MO having a significant Midwestern and southern blend, but saying that it has a hint of Northeastern or Western representation is stretching it. How the hell can you say that it represents the Northeast when the states immediately to the northeast of MO, such as Kentucky don't even feel northeastern at all?!
Kentucky is not to the Northeast of Missouri...it's to the southeast (except for a small sliver of the bootheel). And yes, I agree that the Northeast doesn't really get represented in Missouri. Ohio might be a better state to represent the Northeast than Missouri. Ohio and Missouri are great examples of regions of all of the U.S. because both are edge states in the Midwest with noticeable Southern influences. Missouri in particular touches on the Great Plains while Ohio touches the Northeast. I also agree on whoever said Maryland.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
West Virginia is more of a gradual transition state from north to south. It's not 100% southern Appalachia south of Clarksburg. My mother's family is from central West Virginia (Buckhannon area) and they would laugh in your face if you called them southern. They wouldn't mind "Appalachian," which could mean northern or southern. Really about the only parts of I would southern Appalachian would be the counties south of I-64, with strong emphasis along the Kentucky and Virginia borders. Interestingly, according to the most updated dialect maps, the vast majority of the state falls in the South and North Midland speech patterns, not the twangy mountain dialect found in TN, KY, etc.

Of course opinions vary across the state, with the southern counties leaning more to a southern identity.
Where are these updated dialect maps that you speak of? The latest ones I saw essentially used U.S. Highway 50 as the northern boundary of southern dialect. And I know for a fact that I've heard southern dialect spoken in Parkersburg.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
First of all, Kentucky is not northeast of Missouri; it's southeast. Second of all, St. Louis was developed very much like a Northeastern city.

Maybe so, but St. Louis is a solidly Midwestern city. It has a lot more in common with Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland than it does with Boston, NYC, or Philadelphia. KC, in the meantime, has the most in common with Omaha, Des Moines, and Minneapolis.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Texas.

-Beaches
-Ranches
-Big cities (some of the biggest in the country)
-Deserts
-Southern mentality
-Northern mentality with transplants from the north
-Droughts
-Thunderstorms
-Tornadoes and hurricanes
-Growing very fast.

Next vote would be California

Old 02-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
California has nothing that resembles the Northeast or South.
Or the Midwest, for that matter. California is really it's own animal. If anything, I'd say it is a blend of both Northwest and Southwest. It is an INCREDIBLY tall state. The southernmost part extends as far south as Texas, while the northernmost part extends as far as north as the Great Lakes. Topographically and culturally it is like both the PNW and the Southwest.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,142,535 times
Maryland, Virgina, or Northern parts of North Carolina, and Pa

California & New York I'd toss into that mix.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I guess. I mean, I could see MO having a significant Midwestern and southern blend, but saying that it has a hint of Northeastern or Western representation is stretching it. How the hell can you say that it represents the Northeast when the states immediately to the northeast of MO, such as Kentucky don't even feel northeastern at all?!
The western influence comes from Missouri touching the Great Plains. It borders three Great Plains states: Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.