Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:58 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times

Advertisements

Disneyland is the "happiest" place on earth for the patient. Anyone that has waited 30+ minutes in line to get on one of the rides can attest to that. The West has some beautiful places and also some lackluster places IMO..most of the latter are in the desert areas or in suburban areas with large cookie cutter growth run amok. Unfortunately, several of the beautiful places these days (Yellowstone, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe depending on time of year) are also crowded. I guess this is true in most regions, though. I do know of a few beautiful places without crowds (for now). The Redding region of far northern California with Shasta Lake/Mountain, Whiskeytown Lake and Lassen Park nearby among others is one example.

There are several western states that still have relatively low populations for their size: Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Wyoming, Utah, and New Mexico. Arizona, Colorado and Washington have grown due to growth in their major urban areas (Phoenix, Tucson, Denver/Boulder/Colorado Springs and Seattle/Tacoma). They are still not large, but no longer small either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
The city of Monterey has a lot of history and has preserved several buildings in and near its downtown area and some near Cannery Row as well. You just don't hear people talk about it as much as the Aquarium, the coastal area, golf and car events, and 17 mile Drive.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Wayne Newton and the Chupacabra both reside in the West.
Wayne Newtons plastic surgery looks so strange. The Chupacabra on the other hand is nomadic I think. But yes, the Chupacabra loves the West. It's good for his skin.....not so sure the blazing desert sun is good for Wayne's though.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I imagine myself driving down the Pacific coast highway with the top down listening to Ice Cube.
Same here, cruise down the PCH blasting Ice Cube's "It was a Good Day", or cruise through Vegas and the Nevada, or the SoCal deserts listening to America's "Horse With No Name".

Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 PM

623 posts, read 958,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
1. We have a good variety of weather. If you like cold and snow, or if you like sun and heat.
2. We have Disneyland for God's sake. The happiest place on Earth!
3. We have beautiful forests, coastlines, mountains, prairies and deserts.
4. People do not have a habit of getting into your business here.
5. Religious and non-religious people are roughly equal in numbers, so both viewpoints are respected.
6. Did I say mountains?
7. Yogi Bear lives here. So does Bigfoot.
8. The Western US contains the world's entertainment capital as well as its technological capital.
9. Aside from the urban clusters of California, the West is sparsely populated.
10. The Grand Canyon.
Traveled every state of the union and none of my top 10 favorite states are East of the Rockies. West is full of awesomeness and great people.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post
Traveled every state of the union and none of my top 10 favorite states are East of the Rockies. West is full of awesomeness and great people.
Are there even 10 states west of the Rockies?

Old 02-10-2013, 03:45 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Are there even 10 states west of the Rockies?
There are 13 west of the Continental Divide.

Alaska & Hawaii do count.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
1. We have a good variety of weather. If you like cold and snow, or if you like sun and heat.
2. We have Disneyland for God's sake. The happiest place on Earth!
3. We have beautiful forests, coastlines, mountains, prairies and deserts.
4. People do not have a habit of getting into your business here.
5. Religious and non-religious people are roughly equal in numbers, so both viewpoints are respected.
6. Did I say mountains?
7. Yogi Bear lives here. So does Bigfoot.
8. The Western US contains the world's entertainment capital as well as its technological capital.
9. Aside from the urban clusters of California, the West is sparsely populated.
10. The Grand Canyon.
I'm originally from the West Coast, and I agree all of these are good things. I have to ask though, have you ever been to the East? East beats West hands down imo.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Same here, cruise down the PCH blasting Ice Cube's "It was a Good Day", or cruise through Vegas and the Nevada, or the SoCal deserts listening to America's "Horse With No Name".

America - Ventura Highway - YouTube

Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
For me the West is a huge source of inspiration. The natural superlatives out here are unparalleled. The colors, rock formations, lofty mountain peaks, deserts, forests, big skies, and variety of topography in the West are indeed awesome. I love the wide open spaces and unobstructed horizons of the Desert Southwest as much as I love the thick green forest canopies of the Pacific Northwest. The scenery out here also constantly changes. The transitions are incredible where one could traverse several different climate zones, contrasts in topography, and a variety of vegetation in a matter of a few hours. I love the West and I definitely feel at home out here, and when I'm not in the West I pine for it. Every state out West has something magnificent, this is what I love, love, LOVE about the West....

all pics taken by me

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-10-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.