Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 11:08 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Its fine that you think "upstate" is a different world. But you cannot tell me that new haven has a nyc vibe, or hartford - because they do not. Again, just because wikipedia puts it in nyc metro does not mean its nyc, or "like" nyc. hell, where I grew up on long island feels more like maine than new york. The whole metro region idea is flawed to begin with.

You also cannot tell me there is any discernible difference between syracuse and trenton. I have lived in both and the two are almost identical.

To stick to the op - nyc/jersey is the correct answer. I would exclude conn from this poll as less than a quarter of the state can be associated with ny. central to eastern conn is definately more new england than nyc.

But still, as I said before, all of these areas are just different shades of the same color. I think everyone can agree on that.
hartford isnt even part of the nyc metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
Because its my perspective.

To a born and bred NYer, Upstate is anything north of the Bronx.

Is that 100% agreed upon? Hell no. But, im sticking to it.

Besides, the OP shouldve been more specific, because the southern part of Upstate IS IN THE NY METRO WITH NJ AND CT.

Which is why the correct answer, AS SOMEONE ELSE ALREADY SAID, is all three.
no anything north of the suburbs past the bronx.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Alright now that the KONY-types have been kicked out, I have a question that's actually relevant: Which school is more important to NYC, Syracuse vs. Rutgers?

I know that Cuse calls itself "New York's team," but Rutgers academics and sports have strong links to NYC (the ESB occasionally lights up scarlet for RU, same media market, etc). So which one would you say is more important to NYC?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 AM

628 posts, read 662,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Alright now that the KONY-types have been kicked out, I have a question that's actually relevant: Which school is more important to NYC, Syracuse vs. Rutgers?

I know that Cuse calls itself "New York's team," but Rutgers academics and sports have strong links to NYC (the ESB occasionally lights up scarlet for RU, same media market, etc). So which one would you say is more important to NYC?
Syracuse....I have never heard anyone question this. Rutgers is most certainly nj's school, but Syracuse U is a "brand" in NYC.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 PM

425 posts, read 370,838 times
montydean is correct.

It really can go either way but SU is technically NY's team, because believe it or not, their recruiting base is NYC just as much as CNY.

NYC has a million SU alum

Old 08-22-2012, 01:24 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are many similarities, but I don't know about "associating" with PA. Upstate NY is basically like its own state within a state. I can see the NYC associating with CT and NJ thing due to being a part of the same metro and media market, along with other things.
I agree. Rather than using the term "associate with" I'd use "similar to" and add "closest state (ie. PA, VT, MA, etc.) or, as in the case of Buffalo Metro area...where Canadian coins are accepted, Ontario.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 PM

27,542 posts, read 28,630,498 times
The results of this poll show that combined statistical areas of cities are FAR more important than states in modern America.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:49 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The results of this poll show that combined statistical areas of cities are FAR more important than states in modern America.
I agree with this. This is why I use CSA's even when hillbillies argue against it, it's the most telling measurement for a city's influence and region IMO.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:55 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
Nj and ct are more associated with nyc as most of the suburbs and workforce of subruban nyc are located there. Upstate new york may be similar to pennslybvania but it more closely related to ohio and nyc in my opnion

Old 08-25-2012, 09:08 PM

425 posts, read 370,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Nj and ct are more associated with nyc as most of the suburbs and workforce of subruban nyc are located there. Upstate new york may be similar to pennslybvania but it more closely related to ohio and nyc in my opnion

So youre saying Albany for example is more related to Ohio than NYC? or Ohio and NYC? I dont get it. Youd be saying its not associated with NYC but it is.

If it was a typo and you meant just Ohio, then in what manner?

Im not saying Albany is a mass metropolis like NYC here, but its directly influenced by it and very related to it, as well as New England.

Where people come up with this ****, I dont know. Upstate NY might as well be the Sahara Desert I guess in terms of civilization, even though its 7+ million people, which would still make it about the 13th most populous state out of 50.

I guess since NYC is a prime example of a large cosmopolitan city, they equate Upstate NY to something desolate like Montana or something. Its about as desolate as South Jersey in some parts. They view the dichotomy between NYC and the rest of the state as extremes.

What is funny to me here is that you always hear about Jersey Girls or California Girls, or state pride like Jersey or California, but when it comes to New York, its all strictly city. There is apparently no state pride either. Ill counter any reply about New York being a diverse state with so are NJ and CA.

Last edited by resuelppA; 08-25-2012 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.