Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Personally, I don't like to fly. If I could drive to Europe or Asia, I'd go.
How do you feel about boats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:30 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
This is is it for me. I'd love to travel all over the world if someone would be willing to pay for it. I've never been out of the country in my entire life, because I've never had the money to do it. Not to mention the fact that, even if I ever could afford it, I've never had an employer who was okay with employs taking more than one week of vacation at a time.
Its quite expensive for Australians to get across to Europe, states or whatever, completely understand that. There does seem to be a culture of sorts here, where young school leavers/uni grads go to Europe ~ particularly UK and work.

In terms of holidays... never had that problem .. I can take 4-6 weeks off at once. Otherwise going all the way to Europe (particularly the cost) isn't worth it for a shorter period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
2 big reasons...

It's expensive

and USA is very diverse, you really don't have to go anywhere else

Mountains, forests, deserts, nightlife, amusement parks, beaches
everything you can think of...
Really? Europe is completely different from US. The history! food! art! Culture... a totally different experience. Not to mention there is South America, literally at your doorstep... I wish I was closer to the rest of the world (sometimes..)

Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Its quite expensive for Australians to get across to Europe, states or whatever, completely understand that. There does seem to be a culture of sorts here, where young school leavers/uni grads go to Europe ~ particularly UK and work.

In terms of holidays... never had that problem .. I can take 4-6 weeks off at once. Otherwise going all the way to Europe (particularly the cost) isn't worth it for a shorter period.

Really? Europe is completely different from US. The history! food! art! Culture... a totally different experience. Not to mention there is South America, literally at your doorstep... I wish I was closer to the rest of the world (sometimes..)
I'm sick of Americans saying how isolated Australia is. It's such an Atlantic-centric view of the world. The US is MORE isolated if you look at a world map, especially the west coast which is far away from basically anywhere.

Well maybe more Eastern Oz, but Perth is actually a lot closer to most of the world's population than somewhere like Chicago is. It's a trade-off. Asia doesn't seem so exotic to me because it's close and I'm familiar with it, whereas Europe is far away, it's not like I'm going to go there that often so I can put up with the long flight.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm sick of Americans saying how isolated Australia is. It's such an Atlantic-centric view of the world. The US is MORE isolated if you look at a world map, especially the west coast which is far away from basically anywhere.

Well maybe more Eastern Oz, but Perth is actually a lot closer to most of the world's population than somewhere like Chicago is. It's a trade-off. Asia doesn't seem so exotic to me because it's close and I'm familiar with it, whereas Europe is far away, it's not like I'm going to go there that often so I can put up with the long flight.
I dunno. we're pretty isolated. Well from US/Europe. Agree Asia holds less of a attraction for me... apart from Japan... and yeah the long flight. no problem.. its not that big a deal. its worth it!.

Eastern OZ does feel pretty far. Even from Perth!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
A lot of jobs I see now don't let you take vacation for the entire first year.
That is not okay at all. Recession or not.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Almost every American I know has been outside of the country at least once.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
We do. My kids have been to italy, portugal, greece and spain. Their only seven and five.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Our nation (the US) is so big and culturally and geographically diverse that one could spend an entire lifetime traveling around the nation and still not see it all.

We have big cities like New York City, tropical islands like Puerto Rico, deserts in the Southwest, the Rocky Mountains, tons of unique places. It's what makes this such a great nation.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I dunno. we're pretty isolated. Well from US/Europe. Agree Asia holds less of a attraction for me... apart from Japan... and yeah the long flight. no problem.. its not that big a deal. its worth it!.

Eastern OZ does feel pretty far. Even from Perth!
Yes from US/Europe, but US/Europe isn't the centre of the world anymore. It's ironic, while Perth is regionally very isolated (no real metropolis within a 2500km radius) we are in the most populous time-zone in the world. Yep, all of China sets their watches 8 hours ahead of GMT (when they really should be divided into at least 3 timezones given their size, but I guess that's Communist centralization for ya).

I wouldn't say Asia holds less of an attraction necessarily...it's just I actually saw going to the US as more of an 'adventure' than going to China. I guess it's because there's also a lot of Asian culture here. India and Japan are next on the list, and I admit along with China these three interest me more than countries like Thailand.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Our nation (the US) is so big and culturally and geographically diverse that one could spend an entire lifetime traveling around the nation and still not see it all.

We have big cities like New York City, tropical islands like Puerto Rico, deserts in the Southwest, the Rocky Mountains, tons of unique places. It's what makes this such a great nation.
While this is true, the same can be said for other parts of the world. Here, watch what I do:

Europe is so big and culturally and geographically diverse that one could spend an entire lifetime traveling around the continent and still not see it all.

It has has big cities like London, Paris and Rome, as well as medieval ones such as Tallinn and Carcassonne, tropical islands like Ibiza, glaciers above the Arctic Circle, vineyards overlooking the Mediterranean, the Alps, Greek and Roman ruins dating back millennia, topography ranging from the Sottish highlands to the lush Danube river valley, plus tons of other unique places. It's what makes this such a great region.

If one wants to limit themselves to just what's in this country, they will certainly see a lot. They will miss a lot, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.