Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states are "Southern".
Alabama 8 17.78%
Georgia 3 6.67%
Florida 2 4.44%
Mississippi 7 15.56%
Tennessee 1 2.22%
Kentucky 2 4.44%
North Carolina 7 15.56%
South Carolina 1 2.22%
Virginia 2 4.44%
Louisiana 2 4.44%
Texas 5 11.11%
Oklahoma 1 2.22%
Missouri 0 0%
Maryland 4 8.89%
Delaware 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
LOL - Virginia is not the south? Richmond was the capital of the CSA.

C-SPAN's LCV Profile: Monument Avenue - YouTube

Which states are southern? This:
I did not say that Virginia is not southern but that is has northeast qualities. Thought VA is a bit too far up north. Richmond is only 2 hours away from DC and 1 hour away from Northern VA. VA is apart of the Bos-Wash/ northeast corridor states. Look on the map there is nothing "southern" about VA. Plus it snows like crazy in VA nothing southern about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:27 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I did not say that Virginia is not southern but that is has northeast qualities. Thought VA is a bit too far up north. Richmond is only 2 hours away from DC and 1 hour away from Northern VA. VA is apart of the Bos-Wash/ northeast corridor states. Look on the map there is nothing "southern" about VA. Plus it snows like crazy in VA nothing southern about that.
Yes but unlike Maryland and say, northern West Virginia, you can't drive around most of Virginia and find towns that look exactly like a counterpart in PA or NY right down to the trees.

You can, however, find southern forests and southern towns and of course southern history in Virginia. All over Virginia.

Virginia and Kentucky sit at a climatic and in some ways cultural gradient from the north and south. They share winter and summer commonalities with both regions. But they are the top of Dixie.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Most of the time Virginia does not get much snow at all. It's only these past two winters that freak snowstorms have hit there. And Dallas got a lot of snow as well. If Virginia does get snow it is because it is on the northern periphery of the South and the mountains assist in bringing in cold air...just a theory but i'd guess that to be one factor.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:58 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Yes but unlike Maryland and say, northern West Virginia, you can't drive around most of Virginia and find towns that look exactly like a counterpart in PA or NY right down to the trees.

You can, however, find southern forests and southern towns and of course southern history in Virginia. All over Virginia.

Virginia and Kentucky sit at a climatic and in some ways cultural gradient from the north and south. They share winter and summer commonalities with both regions. But they are the top of Dixie.
Most of Virginia and Kentucky do not really get winters that i'd consider to be real legitimate. Their average snowfalls generally are fairly low...roughly halfway between 10 and 20 inches. And in general, the average highs stay above 40 in most of these states in winter. They are capable of harsh winters, but not typically known for them. They are quite rare in these states.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:55 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Most of Virginia and Kentucky do not really get winters that i'd consider to be real legitimate. Their average snowfalls generally are fairly low...roughly halfway between 10 and 20 inches. And in general, the average highs stay above 40 in most of these states in winter. They are capable of harsh winters, but not typically known for them. They are quite rare in these states.
Actually it is my understanding that the mountains see regular snowfall. In fact the mountains right down into North Carolina see a fair amount of snow.

Which is why the presence of snow really has no bearing on Virginia regionally. Virginia is still the top of Dixie.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 AM

42 posts, read 92,798 times

Take off most of florida and add most of Virginia. Other than that I'd agree fully with the map. Where'd you find it?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:54 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
I did not say that Virginia is not southern but that is has northeast qualities.
>Then why did you post a map claiming "these" are the southern states but that map excluded Virginia?
>Places such as Atlanta and Miami have "northern qualities" as well.
Quote:
Plus it snows like crazy in VA nothing southern about that.
If you feel it "snows like crazy" in Virginia, the same is true for parts of Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia.

I'm afaid TJ that you logic continues to elude me.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Maybe because the most general and accurate perception of the southern states are these in the map below
And I also grew up knowing that these states make up the south. Most people from the deep south states would agree with this map. As for the rest of the "southeast" MD and VA they are commonly included in the mid atlantic region same with W. VA.
TJ...you sound a bit like one of these "Deep South" purists we often talk about!

But seriously....?

Quote:
Eastern TX is southern but the rest of TX is arguable and belong to the southwest. And I have never heard of Oklahoma being a southern state until I came on city-data.
It does? In what way? That is in the sense its basic history and culture (and all that implies) are more akin to that of New Mexico and Arizona than to Tennessee and Alabama (which are the two states which most settlers to Texas originated).

Quote:
When people think of "the south" the states on the map are always included.
Yeah, you have a very good point on that one. However, there are peripheral states (Texas and Virginia in particular, but Kentucky and Oklahoma to a somewhat lesser extent) wherin a clear majority define themselves as living in the South and thinking of themselves as Southerners. What practical/empirical reason can be given to tell them they are wrong...?

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-13-2011 at 12:34 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 12:26 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Approximate extent of Southern American English, based upon multiple dialect studies:

File:SouthernEnglishMap.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-13-2011, 12:36 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Approximate extent of Southern American English, based upon multiple dialect studies:

File:SouthernEnglishMap.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Far as I am concerned this map is one of those that pretty much defines "The South" A common dialect and idiom is one of those things that deliniate a true region.

Thanks for posting it! Rep point incoming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.