Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states are "Southern".
Alabama 8 17.78%
Georgia 3 6.67%
Florida 2 4.44%
Mississippi 7 15.56%
Tennessee 1 2.22%
Kentucky 2 4.44%
North Carolina 7 15.56%
South Carolina 1 2.22%
Virginia 2 4.44%
Louisiana 2 4.44%
Texas 5 11.11%
Oklahoma 1 2.22%
Missouri 0 0%
Maryland 4 8.89%
Delaware 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Every state listed with the exceptions of Missouri (save for the very bottom counties), Maryland and Delaware.

I will also note that southern West Virginia is part of the south.
Don't matter how Much you Hate the state of Maryland there is No Way in Hell you can Dictate against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State...

Get Over It.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Don't matter how Much you Hate the state of Maryland there is No Way in Hell you can Dictate against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State...

Get Over It.......
That's really not a fact though...it is very open to debate. Most Marylanders consider themselves Northeasterners, not Southerns. Ask the University of North Carolina staff, who conducted a large population survey on that state...and they're not exactly uneducated professionals...less than 25% of those surveyed identified as Southern.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:59 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
That's really not a fact though...it is very open to debate. Most Marylanders consider themselves Northeasterners, not Southerns. Ask the University of North Carolina staff, who conducted a large population survey on that state...and they're not exactly uneducated professionals...less than 25% of those surveyed identified as Southern.
$MK won't listen.

I will however back you and throw this in. A friend of mine, a fellow artist actually, is from central Maryland. He says northeastern as well.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:45 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post

Get Over It.......
Yet another person who can't accept how his neighbors feel. If you consider yourself a southerner fine, doesn't mean that the State of Maryland is southern. I'm from Southeastern Missouri and I consider myself southern, but the state is definitely midwestern generally. My part may be southern but it doesn't reflect the entire state, and that's fine with me.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
UNC really????????

All you just proved is that Maryland is Highly disliked by Southern folk from Carolina....

But anyway ; Maryland(Most Wealthy State in the US) is a Southern state and there is nothing that you or any Maryland hating deep rooted southerner can do to change the Fact........

Old 11-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
$MK won't listen.

I will however back you and throw this in. A friend of mine, a fellow artist actually, is from central Maryland. He says northeastern as well.
Just because the character says they live in Maryland does not indicate that they are from Maryland.......

Old 11-11-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Yet another person who can't accept how his neighbors feel. If you consider yourself a southerner fine, doesn't mean that the State of Maryland is southern. I'm from Southeastern Missouri and I consider myself southern, but the state is definitely midwestern generally. My part may be southern but it doesn't reflect the entire state, and that's fine with me.
OMG more opinions that will not ever change the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State......

Old 11-12-2011, 04:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,430 times
Maybe because the most general and accurate perception of the southern states are these in the map below

And I also grew up knowing that these states make up the south. Most people from the deep south states would agree with this map. As for the rest of the "southeast" MD and VA they are commonly included in the mid atlantic region same with W. VA. Eastern TX is southern but the rest of TX is arguable and belong to the southwest. And I have never heard of Oklahoma being a southern state until I came on city-data.

When people think of "the south" the states on the map are always included.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I also grew up knowing that these states make up the south.
LOL - Virginia is not the south? Richmond was the capital of the CSA.

C-SPAN's LCV Profile: Monument Avenue - YouTube

Which states are southern? This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I always considered the South to be all the states of the Old Confederacy plus Kentucky and West Virginia.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:00 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Maybe because the most general and accurate perception of the southern states are these in the map below

And I also grew up knowing that these states make up the south. Most people from the deep south states would agree with this map. As for the rest of the "southeast" MD and VA they are commonly included in the mid atlantic region same with W. VA. Eastern TX is southern but the rest of TX is arguable and belong to the southwest. And I have never heard of Oklahoma being a southern state until I came on city-data.

When people think of "the south" the states on the map are always included.
That's what I call the core south.

But Virginia, Kentucky, and southern West Virginia are southern as well.

The bottom of Missouri and the very bottom of Illinois are also very southern in culture. Actual southern-ship by region is debatable.

Texas and Oklahoma are what I call the frontier south. A gradient for the south and southwest.

Maryland and Delaware and northern West Virginia are northeastern.

Maryland south of Delaware may be an exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.