Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:34 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Just a quick correction: Binghamton, not Binghampton. Binghamton is definitely not one of "The Hamptons." :-)
Ack! It's one of those annoying typing habits of mine. I always hit ; when I want , for example. XD

My mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 10:26 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Firstly, LAKE ERIE IS A GREAT LAKE. Seriously... you didn't know this?

Also, Elmira and Binghampton are rather Appalachian. Trust me on this one. Most places in the southern tier bear striking similarities. Accents are different though. But they are still very close to northern PA areas (Twin tiers after all).

Utica... is also rather Appalachian. In many of it's negative ways.

Major cities along the lake Ontario low-land and getting further east towards New England are very different then any central/southern Appalachian style feel I grant you.

I'll also grant you that Jamestown is very different.

Edit: Bear in mind that West Virginia, whilst at the heart, is not the be all end all of Appalachian cultures. New England cultures are also Appalachian, but in their own way.

I forgot about Erie Pa. Yeah that city shares part of Lake Erie. And I know that Lake Erie is a lake since I have lived in Buffalo for years, so thank you on that. Rochester also has a great lake. Two big cities in western New York. But Elmira and Binghamton might be close to Appalachin or whatnot, but neither are "Appalachin like". Their not like PA cities. There just like those other ciites. So I don't agree with you with all your points.

And yes, Jamestown is a bit different, and I would almost say that region the most, besides the Buffalo region does seem a bit, but still not really. I just don't see it. I guess we just each have our own opinion.

It's no diss on PA, I just think their different states. They don't seem that similar to me. I have been to almost every city in PA and have lived in Pittsburgh so that should somehow qualify my opinon. But I have lived in many different regions and all regions are not similar. The US isn't the same everywhere. I'm sure most people know that.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
The "Grand Canyon of the East" - NY version - is Letchworth Gorge, which is something like 17 miles long. Maybe we should compare the PA version?
Something like 50 miles if you count the part with the road as well as the un-roaded (but rail trailed) section. Pine Creek Gorge: The other Grand Canyon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.