Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 03:01 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I can definitely see the similarities between these two states, due in no small part to sharing a considerable border. The comparisons of the large urban areas at the bookends of each state and relatively large rural population in between has already been made. ki0eh has provided us with a very interesting history lesson with regard to the cultural/media ties between North Central PA and South Central NY. Also, based on the anecdotes of CookieSkoon and others, apparently there is a rugged, rural culture that is alive and well in both states outside of the urban areas.

Another point, I believe, is that New York and Pennsylvania have historically been major immigrant/migrant gateways, particularly with strong communities of ethnic Whites (Irish, Italian, German, Polish, etc.) and African-Americans being found throughout both states. This had been due to the draw of similar industrial/manufacturing economies, but now many of these formerly thriving "Rust Best" communities in both states are trying to re-invent themselves today. Also, due to their economic prowess, large populations and impressive cultural institutions (colleges/universities, museums, music organizations) both states have historically been among the most powerful in the country.

Religiously, both States have strong Catholic heritage, although Mainline Protestant denominations seem to have more of a historic presence in PA.

As far as the differences, the major one has already been touched upon, and that is New York appears to be far more dominated culturally and politically by its state's major commercial center. Although I'd argue that the trajectory for Pennsylvania is for the urban centers to rise in prominence (most rural areas of PA continue to lose population or are stagnant), Pennsylvania's rural interests hold larger sway on the policy decisions of the state.

Overall, interesting comparison.

Thank you for saying so.

Oh yes, the rugged rural cultures are quite alive and well (if you can call it well) through-out. Same goes for rural New England as well (I think I once read somewhere that the northeast as a whole is dominated by rural areas and national forests by land usage).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 03:34 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
National forest in NY state is the dominant land use in - 1 town in Schuyler County. Finger Lakes National Forest (and I remember when it was called "Hector Land Use Area" too ) STATE forests in NY are more than 100x larger, probably even occupying more of that county.

Although PA has the more significant Allegheny National Forest, the state forests there too are collectively much larger - the public lands of northern PA, rebranded by the last administration PA Wilds - Pennsylvania Wilds form a tract larger than the Catskill Park of NY, with a different history containing oil and coal as well as the newly available gas.

Some parts of PA seem to have more rural Catholics than NY state, such as Elk and Cambria counties, to say nothing of the anthracite "coal region". In the farm valleys of southcentral PA Catholics are a decided minority to nonexistent. In much of central/western NY Catholics tend to be more town people than rural folk, in the villages usually the Catholic church isn't on the green with the Presbyterian, Baptist (the mainline New Englandish variety), Methodist, and Episcopal, but off in another neighborhood. In Cortland even the Unitarian church got space on Church Street but neither of the Catholic ones did.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
National forest in NY state is the dominant land use in - 1 town in Schuyler County. Finger Lakes National Forest (and I remember when it was called "Hector Land Use Area" too ) STATE forests in NY are more than 100x larger, probably even occupying more of that county.

Although PA has the more significant Allegheny National Forest, the state forests there too are collectively much larger - the public lands of northern PA, rebranded by the last administration PA Wilds - Pennsylvania Wilds form a tract larger than the Catskill Park of NY, with a different history containing oil and coal as well as the newly available gas.

Some parts of PA seem to have more rural Catholics than NY state, such as Elk and Cambria counties, to say nothing of the anthracite "coal region". In the farm valleys of southcentral PA Catholics are a decided minority to nonexistent. In much of central/western NY Catholics tend to be more town people than rural folk, in the villages usually the Catholic church isn't on the green with the Presbyterian, Baptist (the mainline New Englandish variety), Methodist, and Episcopal, but off in another neighborhood. In Cortland even the Unitarian church got space on Church Street but neither of the Catholic ones did.
My family for example, was baptist. But most people in town were Catholic or Presbyterian. And the Catholic church was nowhere near the other two, which were right across the road from one-another. XD

Our baptist churches were usually little white buildings, or stand alone brick buildings on a country road.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:38 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
This was a Baptist church in a town near where I grew up: Center for the Arts Upcoming Events

Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
This was a Baptist church in a town near where I grew up: Center for the Arts Upcoming Events
DANG! Nice church. o3o

Looks like the one in Dundee.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:08 PM

152 posts, read 321,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I would have to agree, coming from the states.

I was thinking about Cornell and how it has reputation even overseas. Does PA have a major college like that? (once again, honest question, not a challenge) Is Penn state as well known?

I certainly would not put Cornell above any other good college. I'm talking strictly in popularity.

Fun fact: I did drywall with my uncle on Cornell campus years ago.
penn state is pretty well know and pittsuburgh also, i agree ..University of penn or u penn is also good. Temple another good college. I thing lehigh valley has a good university also.

but i think he's right that NY does seem to have more well know colleges, syracuse, buffalo has 3, NYC has quite a few. NYC alone has probably has like 30 colleges. My friend had a kid at cornell and another at NYU at the same time , i felt bad for her $$. And NY does have more college towns probably.

Also back to the religion, i consider the hasidic jews to be very similar to the amish, although they are like more modernized. The dress, the beards/curls, the only marrying among themselves, closed society. My friend and i wanted to organize a softball game between the two! LOL

Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincur63 View Post
NYC alone has probably has like 30 colleges.
*NYC has around 100 colleges within city limits.

CUNY system alone is 23 colleges.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:27 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I suppose. Though Long Island always seemed like a completely different state.

I think it tried to become one once.

Either way, due to NYC and location, NY has a very small coast line. Most of the state is inland or on lake Ontario. I think NY might have a smaller coast line than every coastal state south of it.Edit: Good start!

It's true about the major cities. I never noticed that they were both in the SE extremes.

Both have Rust-belt cities as well.
I agree with you that Long Island seems very different from mainland New York and Pennsylvania.

But as for the coastline question, out of curosity I had to look up the exact figures again.

New York State has a OCEAN coastline of 127 miles and is #14 out of 23 states with ocean coastlines. New York is just behind the fair State of New Jersey, which is at #13 with a ocean coastline of 130 miles. Suprisingly NY has a ocean coastline more than three times larger than the 40 miles of Rhode Island, the Ocean State!

New York has a ocean coastline longer than quite a few states on the East/Gulf coasts. And if you were to also include tidal coastline and Great Lake coastline, than New York jumps to 13th out of 30th place.

I suppose, New York is not known as a coastal state because most of the state is inland like you said.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I agree with you that Long Island seems very different from mainland New York and Pennsylvania.

But as for the coastline question, out of curosity I had to look up the exact figures again.

New York State has a OCEAN coastline of 127 miles and is #14 out of 23 states with ocean coastlines. New York is just behind the fair State of New Jersey, which is at #13 with a ocean coastline of 130 miles. Suprisingly NY has a ocean coastline more than three times larger than the 40 miles of Rhode Island, the Ocean State!

New York has a ocean coastline longer than quite a few states on the East/Gulf coasts. And if you were to also include tidal coastline and Great Lake coastline, than New York jumps to 13th out of 30th place.

I suppose, New York is not known as a coastal state because most of the state is inland like you said.

Interesting!

Is that 127 miles along southern Long Island or wrapped around it?

Old 05-21-2011, 12:51 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
Let's not forget that there are Amish (and Mennonites) all over the place now - not just in Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.