Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have never once put down ATL on here. I have called out some of its posters on certain things but never once put it down. San Antonio is the only city I have released my wrath on. You on the other hand, if the city is not ATL then no good words come from your mouth
That's just the way some people are, especially when the discussion is not face to face...but that doesn't mean you have to retaliate or act as if it's the norm for everyone from city X. It's best to just ignore that kind of thing and move on. How much does it really matter in the scheme of things?

Or, you can go back and forth about it if that's what you enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That's just the way some people are, especially when the discussion is not face to face...but that doesn't mean you have to retaliate or act as if it's the norm for everyone from city X. It's best to just ignore that kind of thing and move on. How much does it really matter in the scheme of things?
well it gets annoying after a while when every darn thing out of certain poster's mouth is negative. Sheesh, I bet you anything people like Brent have not spent any real time in Texas but just go by what the boob tube tells them. after a while you just can't resist the urge to to ask them straight out "don't you ever have anything positive to say?"

Old 04-16-2011, 11:51 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

The question that begs to be asked is this: why would anyone go to Atlanta willingly?
Atlanta and Miami are hubs for a lot of carriers, including international carriers. You have to fly in to those cities and then get a connection to somewhere else in the US...thus, numbers that might look larger than they should.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:42 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,256,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Atlanta and Miami are hubs for a lot of carriers, including international carriers. You have to fly in to those cities and then get a connection to somewhere else in the US...thus, numbers that might look larger than they should.
AH! Makes sense now. I could not for the life of me understand why a foreign tourist would choose to visit a cookie cutter sprawl town like ATL, but because of the airport that would make sense.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:01 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
AH! Makes sense now. I could not for the life of me understand why a foreign tourist would choose to visit a cookie cutter sprawl town like ATL, but because of the airport that would make sense.
Actually you dont make sense.The provided link says clearly
"destination" not ports of entry which this clearly says:
Quote:
Top 15 Ports-of-Entry for Overseas Visitors to the United States
and could be found here:
http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreachpag...ion_Report.pdf
That means those ar the final destination cities.Sorry to ruin your day..Actually I'm really not sorry.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:57 PM

318 posts, read 870,379 times
Quote:
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

The question that begs to be asked is this: why would anyone go to Atlanta willingly?
I went to Jamaica for 2 months and I cannot tell you how many people 1. have family in America or themselves live in America and 2. live in ATLANTA of all places. I guess it's like home? Hot and sweaty? lol.

I'm honestly surprised ATL wasn't higher on that list.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Well I don't think everyone is going to Atlanta only because the city has an airport. International visitors are probably pretty curious. And alamosakid raises a good point that people may be visting their families in the different cities.

Although it does not say in the OP, I thought I read somewhere that International Visitors are usually visiting more than one city. Just because New York has almost 1/3 of the foreign visitors does not mean they are only visiting New York on that trip. In other words, visitors may be going to cities in California, Florida, Canada etc. on the same trip as they visit NYC.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:13 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Is this Tourism?
I mean.... yeah, who would WANNA come here (Dallas) for tourism? = =

Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Is this Tourism?
I mean.... yeah, who would WANNA come here (Dallas) for tourism? = =
I am guessing most of this travel was for business this year except for obvious vacation spots like Orlando, Miami (also the gateway from S America) and Honolulu and of course NYC for imigration. Boston, Washington, San Francisco and Philly could be both tourist and business. San Diego and Anaheim/Santa Anna has to be skewed by the proximity to Mexaco and their large Mexican populations. Atlanta and Dallas may not be tourist meccas as most of these cities are not but they do have large business profiles.

Last edited by bryson662001; 04-23-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 06:09 AM

769 posts, read 1,730,999 times
Yay for Miami! We passed LA for #2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.