Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:16 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I love Austin, I know Atlantans blow a lot of hot air including me, but some of you Texans are just down right obnoxious at times. I know Texas is a unbelievable place, and a treasure for this country, but so is every other state as well. I think Houston is way too hot and flat and humid, and Dallas is just awful IMO...Sorry. No one really has any superiority over anyone else.
Thanks
We may be obnoxious but we do say good things about Georgia. I have constantly praised ATL in addition to the smack talk and I have often said that Savannah is probably my favorite city in the US, but you guys (apart from a few like Waronxmas) it is non stop negativity.

See even now, that you were given a chance to say at least one good thing you could not bring yourself to it. I think it is a reason why ATL has so many haters, you guys never give other places their props.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 12:47 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
We may be obnoxious but we do say good things about Georgia. I have constantly praised ATL in addition to the smack talk and I have often said that Savannah is probably my favorite city in the US, but you guys (apart from a few like Waronxmas) it is non stop negativity.

See even now, that you were given a chance to say at least one good thing you could not bring yourself to it. I think it is a reason why ATL has so many haters, you guys never give other places their props.

I said I love Austin, that is about the only place I could tolerate in Texas, sorry. All Texas reps do is shove it in your face constantly. You are equally negative.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

I can honestly say I try no to be negative,but when you say how you feel and people think its bashing its hard to not be dragged into :"well your place aint crap either contest.
I lived all over Texas as well as other places.Im more familiar with Dallas and San Antonio.I can tell you that while I find San Antonio a great place to visit,like Dallas,I have no desire to ever live there.Not that I find it bad,b ut those places are just not for me.

I even moved to Philadelphia because I thought I would enjoy a more urban environment.There were things I like better but overall it was a big mistake.Same with me living in NYC.Hated it.So much hype.It just was not for me.Atlanta lacks a lot,but for the"happy median" I'm looking for,it fits me like a glove.
Im not gonna lie and say I LOVE Texas just because you say you like Savannah,Atlanta or Georgia as a whole.Im not trying to be mean its just honestly how I feel.For me its just "okay".I dont say this with malicious intent.

Point is you say you guys but you still have never heard me say bad things about Texas or anyplace.I have opinions,but I have never lied or fabricated anything so different from the truth.Perspectives are awlays different.We are not suppose to agree on everything.

I posted this info because clearly their is a substantial difference in international visitation especially for 3 cities in the South that are similar yet to be so different in numbers.I was shocked to see Dallas have a -25% DROP in tourism.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
In 2009, Atlanta posted a 7 percent increase in international visitation, the largest in the U.S..

Old 04-16-2011, 01:49 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
2009 was a bad year for most places due to the global recession. I think 2010 will show growth across the board again.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:04 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Forgot to post the link:
http://www.tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreac...and_Cities.pdf

Also it has the states.Virginia and Georgia the highest of only 4 od the top 20 states to post gains.

I personally thought North Carolina(and definitely Virginia) would have a higher market share than Georgi,But Georgia is considerably ahead.

Last edited by afonega1; 04-16-2011 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 02:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
I said I love Austin, that is about the only place I could tolerate in Texas, sorry. All Texas reps do is shove it in your face constantly. You are equally negative.
And this is coming from you??? Dude, look in the mirror.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I posted this info because clearly their is a substantial difference in international visitation especially for 3 cities in the South that are similar yet to be so different in numbers.I was shocked to see Dallas have a -25% DROP in tourism.
Im curious as to why they did not include the whole metroplex like they did for all the other metro areas in the study. Fort Worth, Arlington, and DFW airport area were not included in this study. Since this is a study on tourism, its strange to see the section of the metroplex that has the most tourist value (Fort Worth stockyards and all the theme parks which are in Arlington) left out. Im not implying that it would make a huge difference, but it would give you a better idea on the reigion.

I do think the DFW area will see a little increase this year because of Qantas. We are getting a nonstop flight from Sydney to DFW starting in May. Australian travelers ofter stopover in the areas the fly into for a couple of days before continuing onward because its such a long flight. Wont make a huge difference, but I think it will help some.

Either way, Dallas isnt a tourist city, its a big business city and an easy place to live. Cities like Atlanta appeal more to tourist because its prettier, the activities are more centralized, its the only major city in its reigion, and it caters more to that market. As to why Dallas had a 25% drop, who knows? The numbers for one year are not statsitically useful. You would need to look at what the respective places have done for several years.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 04-16-2011 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I can honestly say I try no to be negative.

Point is you say you guys but you still have never heard me say bad things about Texas or anyplace.
did you miss the part where I said there were exceptions?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I have never once put down ATL on here. I have called out some of its posters on certain things but never once put it down. San Antonio is the only city I have released my wrath on. You on the other hand, if the city is not ATL then no good words come from your mouth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.