Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
I think city folks have much better reasons to be afraid of small towns (even though I'm personally not).
You need to get out more.

Most people in small towns are NOT afraid of big cities. Most have been to large cities and don't LIKE them, there is a difference in not liking a place and being scared of a place.

Most small towns are NOT inbred hickvilles where the "outsider" is automatically guilty, or given lesser treatment just because they are not "from there."

I find this whole thread funny as hell. A whole thread of stereotypes and wrong perceptions. Small towner = less worldly, less sophisticated, less traveled, scared, gullible, no trauma care, simple tastes, etc.... LOL, keep dreaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I think it goes both ways - and it's normally just a culture shock of people having to be out of their element.

I have noticed that people will normally hear only bad things that happen in cities. You hear about 3 people murdered "in Chicago", but you aren't going to hear a story about 500,000 people in a nice area going to work and walking their dogs. You coming away just hearing about crime and problems - because that's what makes the news. You don't stop to realize that you're hearing about these things that are peppered over millions and millions of people in hundreds of square miles. It's not like it happens everywhere all at once all the time.

You also have to be a little more on your toes in a city. You can't just park anywhere and pull over, there are more streets to get lost on, the fear of crime, you have to keep moving on the sidewalks. Sometimes it comes off like you really need to figure out what you're doing in a much more stressed and rushed kinda way. Then there's just all the people all over. Are you staying to the right on the sidewalk? Are you standing to the right on the escalator? Are you sure you're getting on the right train? You have to decide now though - it's leaving! Do I turn here? Why is this person honking? I missed the turn, how do I get back there? There's no room to just pull over and stop. This homeless person walked up to me, and now he won't go away.

Stuff like that. You figure it out once you're use to it for awhile, and it's second nature. A lot of times though if you don't have a native along with you to just follow, it's a little aggrivating to try and have fun while you're figuring out 10 things all at once. I remember yelling at my mom to stop halting on the sidewalk when a homeless person walked up talking. She thought it was so rude to just walk by without talking, but obviously realized it's just what you have to do when you have 5 random strangers try to tell you their "story" in one day.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
I think it works both ways. Big city people have ignorants views about small towns as well.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:18 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
People in cities are used to the 'live and let live' motto, which can be good and bad, while some country folk want to get to know you and take a stake in you being there, which can also be good or bad.
Well put.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Imagine if your in a town of 5,000 and someone starts beating the mess out of you. You call the sheriff and the dude who beat you up is his childhood friend or cousin. Now you not only are hurt but may be locked up or worse abducted or beat up some more.
Abducted? LOL, It doesn't quite work that way. Word spreads fast in a small town, and if a cop were to do something crooked that like it would be all over the local paper quickly. Most small towns also have their own city police departments, it's not like some wild county sheriff has control over the town.

Also, everyone doesn't know each other in a small town. I live in a town of 7500 people, and I don't know 95% of the people here on a personal level even though I have lived here my entire life.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I don't see what the issue is here. Perhaps there are a few small-town folk who feel intimidated by "the city", but I think most of them simply prefer living around less people and having a quieter life, Period. And that isn't a bad thing. Not everyone needs bright lights and excitement at their fingertips.

In reverse, would you say that city people are "scared" of living in a small town?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
One of the reasons is because some folks living in small towns could feel intimidated by big city life, they can easily feel inferior. Most city folks are more trendy and sophisticated in the way they dress, in their life style, in their exotic taste of everything, and most of all the higher cost of everything.
It's like small city folks are like a baby that are learning about new things in life.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
It's like small city folks are like a baby that are learning about new things in life.
Small city folks?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:53 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Small city folks?
yeah people from small cities lol.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:20 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Or their perceptions of cities is 20 years out of date. Most inner-cities today are very different than the were in the 70s and 80s. There are a few obvious exceptions (like Detroit) and every city has its bad areas, but in general, cities are far safer than they were 20 years ago.

Also, geography is often symbolic. It represents an idea rather than a reality.
knew it was coming

check your stats the crime rate in Detroit is down from the 70s/80s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.