Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times

Advertisements

I had a customer use 4 PODS to move from Punta Gorda, FL to Las Vegas. He had the PODS delivered to his home in Punta Gorda and loaded them himself. He then had the PODS picked up on moving day and delivered to Las Vegas. They stored them in Las Vegas at a storage facility until he found a home there. He stayed with a friend first. All of his belongings were fine. It was $3,000 cheaper than hiring a moving company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:36 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
TamRE wrote:
Quote:
"It was $3,000 cheaper than hiring a moving company."
It's probably more appropriate to say that the cost of using PODS (or other mobile/portable container options) was "less" that the price of hiring a full service moving company. Especially if the time, material/equipment and labor costs, and personal property or bodily injury claim risks haven't been factored into the moving cost comparison.

Many mobile/portable container or truck rental users are surprised to find that the cost (or savings) of doing it themselves aren't as great as anticipated once all the bills are paid. By itself, the 'for-hire' labor costs just to load and unload four 12' PODS could knock a big hole in the price difference.

The trick, as TheEarthBeneathMe alludes to, it not to shop for the cheapest price when comparing relocation or DIY moving options, but to look for the best value. Personal and logistic considerations, budget restrictions, health issues and time considerations should all play a role in each transferees service selection ... and final satisfaction rating.

Consumers who use the cheapest price as their only 'success factor' are usually the first to post their criticisms of product and service suppliers because they often find themselves receiving exactly the 'value' they were shopping for.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
I used ABF in February, the quote they gave me was 3x cheaper than PODS for the same service.

They did an excellent job and I have another reservation for July.

Just make sure to compare before you commit!

I also heard bad things about PODS...mostly that they will avoid delivering on the day you request in order to force you into an additional month of storage...because 1 day or 31 days is considered a month.

ABF charges $50 per day for storage and they were so flexible, they gave me an additional day to load due to a snowstorm, still got my unit where it was going on time, then held it an additional day on the other end for us, all at no extra charge or hassle. Super cool customer service from several people I talked to.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 AM

44 posts, read 83,316 times
Can anyone tell me the meaning of pods......

Old 12-30-2011, 05:41 PM

255 posts, read 451,370 times
Portable On Demand Storage

Old 01-01-2012, 08:08 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
We had an excellent experience with ABF re-lo cube. I got my estimate on line, called and spoke to someone at the central booking office who explained everything. When I called the local dispatch, they were able to give me a 3 hour time frame and date for the drop off. I called them later that day and they picked it up the next day. Since I was working around Christmas and New Year's weekends/holidays I wanted to make sure I gave them adequate time to transport the cube. It arrived at it's destination 2 days later!

When I called to set up my delivery date, again the office/dispatch office was able to give me a 3 hour time period and exact date for drop off. I had a relative sign for the cube, and we arrived at our home later that evening it was ready for us to unload!

Everything was exactly as we had placed it in the cube, nothing had shifted, nothing was damaged, and nothing had catapulted or fallen. I would definitely use them again!

My recommendation is to start early and pack everything in boxes or plastic bins. Get some old sheets/blankets or towels for wrapping furniture. Buy a sheaf of packing paper (through an on-line supplier Am****). Stack and pack tightly and evenly front to back and in height. Use pillows or comforters in plastic bags to stuff in the crevices.

We could not have been happier to have someone drive this load and hold for 1 week until delivery. They were GREAT!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 PM

14 posts, read 58,229 times
Default Pods worked well for me

I rented a Pods storage unit to move from Milwaukee to Denver. I scheduled it about two weeks in advance and it was delivered right on time. I loaded the pod myself in a few days and then scheduled the pickup. Once settled in Denver and in a new apartment I scheduled the unit to be dropped off. (I had the Pods stored for about two weeks altogether). There was no noticeable damage to any of my belongings. After taking a couple of days to unload, the company picked up the unit and that was it. This way of moving is so much easier than renting a storage unit and loading and unloading it twice. With Pods you just load and unload once. It's a little more expensive but way worth the expense if you value your time at all. I also used a promo code to save off the cost - R101. I recommend Pods to anyone I know that needs to move.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:23 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
UHaul also has a service similar to PODS. I know this is an old thread but for future reference, might be good to compare rates.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,828 times
Hi there, I'm moving from AZ to OR- not renting a trailer, trying to determine the best company- ABF, Pack Rat, Door to Door, Uhaul, Mayflower, Pods etc. Does anyone have recent recommendations?Thanks!

Old 04-09-2016, 07:25 AM

9 posts, read 27,044 times
I have also heard a lot of pros and cons about PODS. I was able to visit the local PODS storage yard here in SOCAL and met with the foreman. He was awesome and even let me inspect the POD units. Apparently there are 2 or 3 versions of the 16 foot POD. One is lighter construction and the other is heavy duty with lots of ETRACK rails, every linear foot. I think this might be the one they term the commercial version, not sure.
I was told that a 16 ft POD can hold 7000 lbs. Again, im not sure if both versions hold the same weight or, if that (7000#) includes the weight of the POD itself.
I called the main number once and got a slick talkin' sales person. I had heard about a version of the old "bait and switch" game they play and it was hard to pin them down to an exact price. Word to the wise, use someone elses cel phone and use a fictitious name for the first call because they log your name and cel numbers. Guaranteed your second call will produce a different price!
"If you commit today we can lock your price" , ostensibly because of "fluctuating gas prices". Not sure I'm buying that one either.
I really want to use PODS because of one item I have that won't fit in a relo-cube.
Yeah, yeah I know....youre not supposed to ship a motorcycle in them but the foreman said they can't look inside, so it's on the honor system.
Of course it will be bone dry of all fluids and battery, i'm no dummy.
Has anyone ever had the "bait and switch" routine tried on them? also does anyone know the real weight limits? I don't mind paying a fair price but I don't want to get schlonged. Thanks and good luck to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues