Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I know that happens with eye color but did not know with red hair. If I have the "red" gene, it must go far back in time from my Irish side. Easier with her blue eyes. My Dad and Hubs Mom.
Eye color seems to be more complex than that, but red hair is recessive and requires two copies, one from each parent. I married a man with a lot of redheads in the family, too, so there was no way we weren't going to get at least one. As it is, we got all gingers! And we're all light eyed, too. It's a family joke that we're just one big walking recessive gene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 02:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If you get your entire genome sequenced you will be able to see every mutation you have or don't have. The price for a full genome sequence has come down quite considerably over the last 5 years or so.
Yes, but that's rather beside the point. The point is, the full human genome (regardless of how much of my genome I personally have tested) has at least 12 SNPs (24 variants/mutations) on two different genes that influence red hair.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:30 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Went from
47% Western European
13% Ireland/Scotland/Wales
13% Europe East
11% Scandinavian
8% Great Britain
3% Finland/Northwest Russia
3% Europe Jewish
2% Europe South

to

30% Norwegian
17% England, Wales and Northwest Europe
14% Eastern Europe and Russia
10% Germanic Europe
9% Swedish
7% Irish
6% Jewish
5% Baltic states and
2% Finland

It looks like they threw some of mine together and then separated a few others making it about the same. I'm wondering where the noise from the 2% Europe south went, maybe to the Baltic states? Getting deeper into genealogy I am noticing quite a bit mor Norwegian than I had originally thought so that's interesting that it's finally noted.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:36 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Instead of 88% Jewish, I'm now 100%. No big surprises here!

Old 09-16-2018, 05:12 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yes, but that's rather beside the point. The point is, the full human genome (regardless of how much of my genome I personally have tested) has at least 12 SNPs (24 variants/mutations) on two different genes that influence red hair.
The bottom line is really so what? I know my husband carries it. So maybe I do as well. Daughter has very pretty strawberry blonde hair. I would rather have that than my "mousy" brown, now grey.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:00 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Has anyone taken another test in addition to Ancestry? Do the results match? I read on Ancestry that there could be more updates as they refine their research. It is going to change again?
I didn't take the MyHeritage.com test, but I downloaded there. Here are their different takes.

Ancestry.com

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 50%
Ireland and Scotland 26%
Germanic Europe 15%
European Jewish 9%

MyHeritage.com

Scandinavian 37.4%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 21.0%
Iberian 16.7%
Italian 15.7%
Ashkenazi Jewish 8.2%
West Asia 1.0%

Ancestry.com's results are very close to my known family tree, a little short on German (My tree is about 1/4 - 1/3 German,) but that seems to be common.

I have no clue what MyHeritage is seeing in my DNA........way off. The two services only seem to agree about the Irish/Scottish and the Jewish ancestry.

In regard to my wife's Greek family, they are all between 76%-91.4% Greek on MyHeritage, and are plurality-majority "Italian" with the new Ancestry.com update. All known ancestors are from the Greek islands, so MyHeritage.com matches them much better.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:03 PM

661 posts, read 880,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I didn't take the MyHeritage.com test, but I downloaded there. Here are their different takes.

Ancestry.com

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 50%
Ireland and Scotland 26%
Germanic Europe 15%
European Jewish 9%

MyHeritage.com

Scandinavian 37.4%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 21.0%
Iberian 16.7%
Italian 15.7%
Ashkenazi Jewish 8.2%
West Asia 1.0%

Ancestry.com's results are very close to my known family tree, a little short on German (My tree is about 1/4 - 1/3 German,) but that seems to be common.

I have no clue what MyHeritage is seeing in my DNA........way off. The two services only seem to agree about the Irish/Scottish and the Jewish ancestry.

In regard to my wife's Greek family, they are all between 76%-91.4% Greek on MyHeritage, and are plurality-majority "Italian" with the new Ancestry.com update. All known ancestors are from the Greek islands, so MyHeritage.com matches them much better.
MyHeritage is a big mess
I have the same issues, I find MyHeritage way off too....

Old 09-16-2018, 09:20 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Check your ranges, there might be overlap. The ranges show the possible range you may fall into, not just the final percentage. For example, I'm 18% Germanic but my dad is 3% Germanic and my Mom has none. But if I look at my range it says 0% - 39% and my Dad's range is 0% - 27%. So they're actually saying I could have no Germanic ancestry at all, or as high as 39%, and my Dad could have no Germanic ancestry at all, or as high as 27%. That means there's actually a 27% overlap in our ranges.
Thanks! That does help to put some more context to things. I just took a lot at the ranges and feel a little more comfortable with AncestryDNA's methodology.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:06 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I do not have any ranges on mine. It flat out says 40% Italy, 27% Ireland, 22% England,etc. Now in addition to those straight line circles around regions, I have smaller doted circle lines. Under Italy, I have Southern Italy and Salerno with dotted lines. Same for Ireland with Munster in a dotted circle. My Maternal Great-Grandma was from Salerno. My Paternal Great-Grandma was from County Clare.

Fine print says these results come from "Genetic Community". What does that mean? Search of other pedigrees based on surnames and other family trees submitted online from all sites?

I submitted my DNA under my married name. Ok, so DNA would show the genetics, but not be as specific. I had the same specifics before I linked my results to my submitted family tree on Ancestry. However, long ago I did submit my tree on Genealogy.com. So I suppose they could have done a search of my ancestors from that, and linked this to other trees and possible relatives.

Are anyone elese's this specific and do you have some online family tree somewhere? I don't question these results, just the method of getting them. Not from DNA alone.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:10 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
I do not have any ranges on mine. It flat out says 40% Italy, 27% Ireland, 22% England,etc. Now in addition to those straight line circles around regions, I have smaller doted circle lines. Under Italy, I have Southern Italy and Salerno with dotted lines. Same for Ireland with Munster in a dotted circle. My Maternal Great-Grandma was from Salerno. My Paternal Great-Grandma was from County Clare.

Fine print says these results come from "Genetic Community". What does that mean? Search of other pedigrees based on surnames and other family trees submitted online from all sites?
If these results are from Ancestry, you can click on your category "Italy" and it will show the range of your dna which matches Italy. 40% is the average. Then the results are broken down further into Southern Italy and finally Salerno.

I have a similar result. Under "Ireland and Scotland" it says 40%. The range is actually 31-56%. Then it is broken down into Scotland and further the Scottish Highlands.

I don't have any Genetic Communities listed because I haven't uploaded a tree. I know my father's ancestry is well documented online at other sites so maybe your theory is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy