Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:26 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,910,494 times

Advertisements

Hello, i'm thinking about getting one of these tests.

The only thing that's bothering me is that I see some results have ranges like 15%-50% East Asian, etc, etc.

I even see some tests that have huge percentages marked as "unassigned".

How can I minimize this. Which tests are more accurate? I fully understand that these tests won't be 100% totally accurate but the more the accuracy, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,893,807 times
None are going to be anymore accurate than another, it's entirely down to your own DNA. For example, it appears that my British DNA is entirely Viking and Anglo-Saxon, not Celtic or Roman. As such, it's very similar to the DNA found in Western European (like Germany) and Scandinavia, making it very difficult to tell apart. One company tells me I'm 55% British and another tells me I'm 0% British. There is just too much mixing among groups in Europe, so some DNA is too similar to tell apart, regardless of what test you take.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:41 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,221,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
None are going to be anymore accurate than another, it's entirely down to your own DNA. For example, it appears that my British DNA is entirely Viking and Anglo-Saxon, not Celtic or Roman. As such, it's very similar to the DNA found in Western European (like Germany) and Scandinavia, making it very difficult to tell apart. One company tells me I'm 55% British and another tells me I'm 0% British. There is just too much mixing among groups in Europe, so some DNA is too similar to tell apart, regardless of what test you take.
Doesn't this make the tests pretty much worthless?

I want to have them done also, but I see so many conflicting results posted that it is mind boggling.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,536,801 times
Yes one test gave me 35% African while another has me at 98% European. Its all very confusing.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
How well do the tests differentiate between the racial groups. Like white&east asian or white&west african.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Yes one test gave me 35% African while another has me at 98% European. Its all very confusing.
Wow, really. That's crazy!

What company were they by, and were those tests taken fairly recently? Are you closer to the 35% African or the 98% Euro?

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 06-14-2014 at 04:27 AM..

Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post

I want to have them done also, but I see so many conflicting results posted that it is mind boggling.
Not necessarily but it really depends in the individual. Lots of people have made discoveries with their DNA tests. I happen to have British DNA that is indistinguishable from German and Scandinavian, but that doesn't mean everyone with British DNA is the same. Other British DNA might be more distinct. And if you make the effort to understand why you get such varying results, it's actually pretty interesting. I blogged about the big difference in my results but what that difference tells me: http://genealogical-musings.blogspot...ults-tell.html

It's also not just about discovering your ethnicity percentages - with the cousin matches, you can learn more about your tree and hopefully break down some brick walls. But of course that's only beneficial to researchers, I wouldn't recommend someone who isn't already into genealogy taking the test.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
How well do the tests differentiate between the racial groups. Like white&east asian or white&west african.
There isn't a category for "white" - there's a break down of different European regions. Generally, it's easier to tell racial groups apart, like European and Asian, because genetically they are very different.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:38 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,588,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I think there is some risk that you will get something that means very little. There is a single common ancestor of all Europeans that lived about a 1000 years ago. So there is a quite a lot of mixing.

But on the other hand you may find out something unique to your DNA.

People often have a perception about their ancestry that is often wrong. One example that I cite is The Queen Mother who died in 2002. As she married into the royal family in the 1920's her ancestry was heavily researched. She is a direct descendant of some of the most important peerages in Scotland, and her family home, Glamis Castle is on Scottish banknotes issued by the Royal Bank of Scotland.

But 10 generations ago (i.e. 2^10=1024 ancestors) only 5 of her ancestors are identified as Scottish. Now one of them was created an Earl in Scottish peerage (1st Earl of Kinghorne which is now Earl of Kinghorne and Strathmore). Her father is the 14th Earl. But outside of those 5 people, no one has brought any fresh Scottish blood into her ancestry in all subsequent generations. So this woman, who many people consider quintessentially Scottish, is really less than 1% Scottish). The rest is combinations of English and Irish, with Dutch blood from a single man, and some French blood from wives over the centuries.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:22 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,875,550 times
Quote:
Skol! I am from northern England and my DNA is 98% Viking and 2% East Asian. The Viking were a prolific bunch! OP - I used AncestryByDNA. Agree with this poster too, it all depends on your DNA as to whether or not they pick up any "unknown" DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy