Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 10:21 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times

Advertisements

I don't know. While trying to figure out why I got those results (pre update), I learned that at least 25% of those with British ancestry get "Iberian". Several of my English ancestors were from Cornwall so I thought maybe that had something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 11:51 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I don't know. While trying to figure out why I got those results (pre update), I learned that at least 25% of those with British ancestry get "Iberian". Several of my English ancestors were from Cornwall so I thought maybe that had something to do with it.
Yes, prior to the update, 24% of British natives in the reference panel got results in Iberian, but not in high amounts - an average of only about 3%.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:51 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Mine got a lot more "boring." I knew that those low-confidence regions were just "maybes" anyway, but they were cool to try to figure out. I was sure I had some distant Ashkenazi Jewish ancestor who might account for the European Jewish, Europe East, and the Middle East, but I guess that's no longer the case.

I went from:

51% Europe West
16% Scandinavia
14% Ireland/Scotland/Wales
6% Iberian Peninsula
2% European Jewish
2% Europe South
1% Europe East
<1% Middle East
<1% Asia South

To:

52% England, Wales, & NW Europe
17% Sweden
14% Germanic Europe
9% Norway
8% Ireland & Scotland

The newer estimates do match my ancestry work a lot more. Though I did find a line that had gone to England from northern Spain, and I was sure that accounted for the Iberian. But poof! that went away. But it was back far enough that that line could just show up in the "England" DNA.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:58 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yes, prior to the update, 24% of British natives in the reference panel got results in Iberian, but not in high amounts - an average of only about 3%.
Hmm, I don't know were else it could have come from then. Prior to the update, I only had 4% Great Britain and now I have 24%.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ah, yes, redheads. My younger daughter is a blue eyed redhead. My older daughter is a hazel eyed brunette. My husband had dark hair but had a red beard. His aunt had red hair. His family is German, Swedish, and Lithuanian.

Both my daughters and I have had our DNA done by different companies (Family Tree, 23 and me, Ancestry). Younger daughter got majority Italian (my side) but after that Scandinavian and Lithuanian. Her Paternal Great-Grandma was from Sweden and Paternal Great-Grandpa from Lithuania. My Dad's Maternal side is Irish. I got 27% Irish and daughter got 13% Irish, but nobody in my family are redheads. They are all commonly referred to as Black Irish; pale skin, blue eyes with very dark hair.

My guess is that her red hair comes from her Dad's Scandinavian (Swedish/Lithuanian/Norse), not her Irish heritage. My older brunette daughter got higher percentages of German and Irish and less Scandinavian and Lithuanian.
Red hair comes from both sides of the family though so if your daughter has red hair you carry the gene as well as your husband. It is recessive in that it doesn't show up unless you get 2 copies so each parent contributes to the child having red hair.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:20 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
Mine got a lot more "boring." I knew that those low-confidence regions were just "maybes" anyway, but they were cool to try to figure out. I was sure I had some distant Ashkenazi Jewish ancestor who might account for the European Jewish, Europe East, and the Middle East, but I guess that's no longer the case.

I went from:

51% Europe West
16% Scandinavia
14% Ireland/Scotland/Wales
6% Iberian Peninsula
2% European Jewish
2% Europe South
1% Europe East
<1% Middle East
<1% Asia South

To:

52% England, Wales, & NW Europe
17% Sweden
14% Germanic Europe
9% Norway
8% Ireland & Scotland

The newer estimates do match my ancestry work a lot more. Though I did find a line that had gone to England from northern Spain, and I was sure that accounted for the Iberian. But poof! that went away. But it was back far enough that that line could just show up in the "England" DNA.
Mine do match my research. However, finding my cousin's results on Ancestry, he does have Iberia (like my daughters from different sites), but no English. His Dad was Italian as well. His Mom and my Grandma were Sisters. I haven't spoken to him in decades. Perhaps, I should contact him. Ask him if his Mom ever told him the same story about the family originally coming from Spain. Grandma even told me the original spelling of her name. The "vida" ending became "viti" in Italy she said.

Also, my cousin and daughters got percentages of North Africa. I got none but a greater percentage of Greece and Turkey from the new Ancestry.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:24 AM

Has anyone taken another test in addition to Ancestry? Do the results match? I read on Ancestry that there could be more updates as they refine their research. It is going to change again?

Old 09-16-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Red hair comes from both sides of the family though so if your daughter has red hair you carry the gene as well as your husband. It is recessive in that it doesn't show up unless you get 2 copies so each parent contributes to the child having red hair.
I know that happens with eye color but did not know with red hair. If I have the "red" gene, it must go far back in time from my Irish side. Easier with her blue eyes. My Dad and Hubs Mom.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:44 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
It doesn't show up on the top of your head unless you get 2 recessive copies, one from each parent, but a man can have brown hair on his head and a red bread or pubic hair, due to having only one copy of the mutation or a blonde haired female can have red pubic hair, due to having only one copy of the mutation.

Why Your Beard Is Red, Even If Your Hair Isn't

Why some non-ginger men wind up with red beards

The red hair itself is caused by a mutation in what researchers call the MC1R gene. Having two mutated genes gives someone all red hair, but having just one can give a person red hair in unexpected places. In non-Gattaca terms, that means even if a gene that signals brown hair is dominant in your family, another gene for red hair may still be present in your genetic code.

So if you've got a red beard, someone at some point in your family had red hair, but those genes can express themselves differently in different people across different generations. "It’s entirely possible that one distant ancestor had a hair color that suddenly appears again through a certain combination of genes—and that can be quite unexpected for parents,” Haak-Bloem says.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:03 AM

That would be my husband with his dark brown hair and red beard. His Dad had brown hair, as did all his brothers but one red haired sister. They were all clean shaven so I don't know if they had red beards. His Mom and all her brothers and sisters were blondes. Our daughter's is kinda of a strawberry blonde, but looks redder depending on the light and time of year. My family from both sides ranges from light brown to very dark almost black hair. No blondes, or redheads. Would a "sandy" brown could as a blonde? That would be me.

Daughter read that having blue eyes and red hair is the rarest. More redheads have brown eyes? Sorry, if we are getting OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy