Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 PM

6 posts, read 307,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesinging1 View Post
Hello. I am Asian American living in U.S. I have a number of European American friends and often get it wrong on guessing their ancestry. For instance, I can't distinguish between Germans and Irish or between Spanish and Portuguese.

Without relying upon their last name for guessing their nationality, do you know a way to accurately determine how to distinguish German Americans from other European Americans? For instance, what is the typical facial feature of Germans in distinction with other Europeans? On one more note, is it true that Germans are almost never late to a meeting?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
I am German-American. Traced my German ancestry to the 16th century. No known mixes to that point. Not surprising because my grandparents and parents drummed into my head to only marry a German, which I did.

I have very dark hair, very light skin and blue eyes. Both parents have dark hair, fair skin and blue eyes. Grandfather had blonde hair, fair skin, blue eyes. Paternal Grandmother dark hair, fair skin, blue eyes. Maternal Grandmother, brown hair, fair skin, blue eyes. Maternal Grandfather very dark hair, fair skin, blue eyes.

Germans do have distinctive facial features. A good example is Queen Elizabeth II. Yes, she is of German ancestry, which is very interesting. Look at some of her younger pictures, as well.

Germans have larger noses, full jaws, broad shoulders, and larger bone structure overall. That isn't always the case. Although, I am 5'6", I have a slight (narrow) bone structure, but broad shoulders.

I also noticed German females are squarely built. Men are taller than average, much taller than Italians, French and Spaniards.

With so much mixing in the United States, it is somewhat difficult determining differences in European ethnicity, but there are some who didn't mix.

It's easy to spot an Italian or someone from France. Italians are the best clothing tailors and shoemakers in the world. Their clothing and shoes are the ultimate high quality. They are very animated, using their hands a lot when they talk. The French are very stylish in dress and prefer black.

In Europe there is a distinct difference between English, Germans, Italians, French, Spaniards, and Scandinavians.

I think of Irish as having either red or almost black hair, creamy white skin. The dark hair is a striking contrast to their skin. Very noticeable. Those with red hair, some have freckles. Green or blue eyes. They are shorter than Germans.

Germans are much more reserved than others, except for the British. Very hard working. They are very intelligent. Exceptional in engineering and sciences. Some of the best classical music writers were German. Beethoven and Handel, just two examples.

The best thing to do is study pictures of the different ethnicities.

I have never been late for a meeting, work, appointment, visiting a friend, family, and so on. Didn't know Germans are never late to meetings. It doesn't surprise me, though.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:38 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This here is an interesting topic. You can take one look at Hitler and see he's not Aryan. What's the history of those people?
There is really no such thing as "Aryan". That's just a word a bunch of racists came up with.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:52 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesinging1
Hello. I am Asian American living in U.S. I have a number of European American friends and often get it wrong on guessing their ancestry. For instance, I can't distinguish between Germans and Irish or between Spanish and Portuguese.

Without relying upon their last name for guessing their nationality, do you know a way to accurately determine how to distinguish German Americans from other European Americans?

There is no real difference between Germans and other northern Europeans, either in appearance or mannerism. It's kind of like asking what the difference is between an Iowan and a Virginian. European countries are really just a bunch of land divided up by arbitrary borders. That's all it is. There may be some minor cultural differences, just like between Iowa and Virginia, but there no way to tell that someone is German, or Dutch, or French or Danish just by looking at them.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:12 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
There is really no such thing as "Aryan". That's just a word a bunch of racists came up with.
No, no, no! That's a common misperception. It's a tribal name that a bunch of racists co-opted and distorted! The name of the country, Iran, is a variant of the word "Aryan". The early Indo-European people who created a civilization in the Central Asian desert called themselves "Aryans", historical fact. (Some of them migrated south, and populated the territory of present-day Iran.) It's time to reclaim this ethnonym and de-stigmatize it. It's almost impossible to discuss certain aspects of Indo-European and Central Asian archaeology and genetic research without using this term, so the hysteria surrounding it needs to go. The time is long overdue. A bunch of war criminals and deranged racists don't deserve to retain so much power over the term and hold it hostage.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-20-2012 at 03:39 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
i lived in Mannheim and Heidleberg. Of the German's I knew there, for the most part the young men were slight, not overly tall, may have been blonde when children but dark overall. The young women were thin and squarish/straight built. Faces squareish with strong features. As they got older both sexes got more 'portly'. with exceptions of some.

I think central germany and toward france were darker than Bavaria and Northern Germany. I was 5'2", strawberry blonde hair with blue eyes and light skin. I stood out in a crowd in central germany, if you could see me since the crowd was taller. (or what was before reunification).

Bavarian people seemed generally blond, blue eyes, creamy skin and more substantial/rounder. Northern German's seemed tall blond and aristocratic features until you got toward belgium area. They seemed to retain their elegance as they aged.

The german people were fun loving, efficient, and good friends (once made).

Just say even in one country you could see differences, so I wouldn;t feel bad about have trouble guessing nationality europe wide.

it's all good.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times
Not only does this thread have nothing to do with genealogy, but it's allowed to proprigate racism because the racism is directed at whites.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faberge View Post
I am German-American. Traced my German ancestry to the 16th century. No known mixes to that point. Not surprising because my grandparents and parents drummed into my head to only marry a German, which I did.

I have very dark hair, very light skin and blue eyes. Both parents have dark hair, fair skin and blue eyes. Grandfather had blonde hair, fair skin, blue eyes. Paternal Grandmother dark hair, fair skin, blue eyes. Maternal Grandmother, brown hair, fair skin, blue eyes. Maternal Grandfather very dark hair, fair skin, blue eyes.

Germans do have distinctive facial features. A good example is Queen Elizabeth II. Yes, she is of German ancestry, which is very interesting. Look at some of her younger pictures, as well.

Germans have larger noses, full jaws, broad shoulders, and larger bone structure overall. That isn't always the case. Although, I am 5'6", I have a slight (narrow) bone structure, but broad shoulders.

I also noticed German females are squarely built
. Men are taller than average, much taller than Italians, French and Spaniards.

With so much mixing in the United States, it is somewhat difficult determining differences in European ethnicity, but there are some who didn't mix.

It's easy to spot an Italian or someone from France. Italians are the best clothing tailors and shoemakers in the world. Their clothing and shoes are the ultimate high quality. They are very animated, using their hands a lot when they talk. The French are very stylish in dress and prefer black.

In Europe there is a distinct difference between English, Germans, Italians, French, Spaniards, and Scandinavians.

I think of Irish as having either red or almost black hair, creamy white skin. The dark hair is a striking contrast to their skin. Very noticeable. Those with red hair, some have freckles. Green or blue eyes. They are shorter than Germans.

Germans are much more reserved than others, except for the British. Very hard working. They are very intelligent. Exceptional in engineering and sciences. Some of the best classical music writers were German. Beethoven and Handel, just two examples.

The best thing to do is study pictures of the different ethnicities.

I have never been late for a meeting, work, appointment, visiting a friend, family, and so on. Didn't know Germans are never late to meetings. It doesn't surprise me, though.
Lol wut?
Moderator cut: image removed

You dont seem to know much about your own heritage.

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2014 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
Please make sure that comments relate to geneology within this thread.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:30 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
This thread has been going on for some time. The interest? More American;s have German ancestry than any other. Including myself.

But why does anyone need to distinguish Germans from any other people? Why does anyone care? Is there a world wide search for Germans?

A national search? Germany does have an infamous history with regard to racial features and superiority that is relatively recent. I am proud of my German heritage, but not that part.

Why this strange need to root people out and what has this to do with genealogy?

Please elucidate me.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
sheena12 asks: "But why does anyone need to distinguish Germans from any other people? Why does anyone care?"

Perhaps it is pride - you're the first in your family to search and find your families roots. Maybe it is curiosity?*You want to know who in modern day Germany most resembles your grandparents. Perhaps you want the connection -- you want to find a living link between North America and your
living cousins in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.