Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times

Advertisements

My mothers paternal side is mostly German and are tall with long limbs, darker skin and hair, hazel eyes that are very squinty and almost Asian looking. They don't really look like the stereotypical German family. The paper trail goes back to Baden.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:03 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I am half German (and Italian) and so is my spouse (and English). We come from a long line of German engineers.

However, our daughter seems to have the stereotypical German look.

- tall and long-limbed (extremely long legs/arms, shorter upper body)
- bigger-boned, wider shoulder/hip, but very lean, a very "athletic" build
- thick, golden-blond hair
- a golden, glowing skin tone
- eyes are hazel/green/gold (I was told hazel eyes are prevalent in Germany)
- strong, chiseled features (nose, cheekbones, eyebrows)
- full lips (not as thin as my English relatives, but not as thick as my Italian relatives)
- cleft-chin
You described perfectly about how my WW2 maternal grandfather looked like when he was alive and his surname was '''Longenecker''' (anglicized spelling?) which from my research about it states that it's either Swiss and/or German.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
You described perfectly about how my WW2 maternal grandfather looked like when he was alive and his surname was '''Longenecker''' (anglicized spelling?) which from my research about it states that it's either Swiss and/or German.
Yes, we have 100 y.o. pics of a great-grandmother from Germany and she looks exactly like her. She also looks very much like our 100% German family living in WI German enclave, who are still bilingual German. I am not saying this is the only German look, but it is a specific German look that has enabled others to correctly guess her ethnicity (maybe it's an Alpine/Bavarian look - who knows...). Many people comment on "how German she looks."

Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Germans vary a lot.

Joachim Gauck.

Dirk Bauermann

Old 09-05-2013, 04:20 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Yes, we have 100 y.o. pics of a great-grandmother from Germany and she looks exactly like her. She also looks very much like our 100% German family living in WI German enclave, who are still bilingual German. I am not saying this is the only German look, but it is a specific German look that has enabled others to correctly guess her ethnicity (maybe it's an Alpine/Bavarian look - who knows...). Many people comment on "how German she looks."
That's awesome knowing that there's still a few places here in North America where German is still spoken and it's definitely my fave language/accent on the planet to listen too although Scottish, Irish, English and Australian aren't far behind.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:26 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
There is no "German look." Anyone bother to think about this topic beyond the first thought?
Quite true. Clark Gable(originally spelled Goebel)was mostly of German ancestry and was dark haired and had swarthy skin.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:55 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
I've been told I look German many times over the years, but am 80+ % British Isles - Ireland and England.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:39 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
My daughter looks very much like the woman in the pic you posted above - same hair/skin color (I call her "golden"), looks like her exact nose, similar cheekbones/face shape - even a very similar cleft chin. So I guess that is the "German look." The only difference is my daughter has a unique hazel eye color. I have met very few people with her eye color. I am wondering if that hazel eye color is more unique to Germans than the blue color? I seem to meet a lot of Germans with hazel eyes.
You mean bright yellowish-hazel eye color ?

Old 02-08-2014, 08:24 PM

84 posts, read 138,607 times
As everyone has said, the stereotypical appearance is tall, blond hair, blue eyes, very light skin, and a square jaw. Most Germans don't look like that. I think the country with the highest percentage of people with that particular phenotype is actually Sweden. We should keep in mind that many different non-German tribes (i.e. Celts, Slavs, and Balts) were conquered and culturally assimilated into the German nation. That non-German "admixture" probably explains most of the differences in physical appearance amongst modern day Germans. Unfortunately, some German nationalists do not want to recognize this and cling to outdated "romantic nationalism".

Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Not genealogy. This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy