Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 AM

841 posts, read 4,840,850 times

Advertisements

This tree did produce berries this year. I never saw them in previous years. After several posts on this board, as well as going to various websites suggested by you guys, I think this tree is some form of black cherry tree? As of late summer, its leaves are tinged brown and it's not as full as it was in early summer.
Thanks for all of your suggesstions and replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 09:48 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
This looks very much like a butterfly bush to me, but if you have positively identified it as a cherry tree? Some nurseries will help you identify a plant if you take part of it to them. I did that when living in Portland, OR and Portland Nursery could always identify my specimen, and they were also helpful identifying types of soil, and bugs, etc.!!

Old 09-03-2007, 02:07 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Contact your local professional nurseryman or your State Agricultural Dept for identification and other stats.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:17 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,985 times
Local horticulture commission should assist you in identifying your 'tree'. Or 4-H group if you have one. Local community college. Many places such as this should be able to help. Let us know if you find an answer....

Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,062,299 times
For references, have used the following sites. Have also had sons for a summer project use these, along w/ books, to identify all the trees in our yard and surrounding fence line... still on-going project, lol...

Tree Identification
Plant Identification
What Tree Is It? HOME
Tree Identification (broken link)
Tree Identification Guide at arborday.org

Old 09-09-2007, 08:07 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Was gardenweb able to help you?

It is not a butterfly bush. We have these growing in NJ, I pull them out all of the time. It's a bush of some type, when I worked for a plant nursery we sold them, I'm almost positive it is some sort of Clethra, or the cherry laurel looks like a close match.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:29 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO~orphan View Post
I thought it looks like a butterfly bush/tree.
That was my first thought as well.

Muse

Old 10-04-2007, 03:34 PM

26 posts, read 129,562 times
Default butterfly bush aka buddliea

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
For the last three years we've had this plant/tree/weed in our yard. We haven't been able to identify it. What is this? It grew from out of nowhere.
these come in white, purple,yellow and pink.I have white & purple.they can get huge. in 4 years from a 1 gallon pot I planted them and they are 11 feet tall now . I keep triming them each year. the leaves fall off in the winter and when they bloom they attact butterflys also they have a faint scent.
hope that helps

Old 10-08-2007, 12:13 AM

168 posts, read 637,554 times
Your biggest clue will be whether the leaves drop or not. If not, it's an evergreen Prunus. If they drop, it's a cherry of some sort, maybe Prunus virginiana - wild cherry. The reddish black fruit is tiny and juicy. Also, the leaves turn a fantastic brilliant red-orange in fall. It has a single grey trunk.

Evergreen Prunus (cherry laurel) shrub has several varieties that may have crossed to form the seed that dropped in your yard. (your plant does have the shape of a bush, and not a tree trunk) If it's grown that much already I'd say it's going to be large, and they do make nice trees if you prune them into several trunks rather than letting it grow bushy. You might want to move it to a spot where you can allow it to grow, if you wnat to keep it. I think some laurels get 45' and less wide. There are also 4' laurels. The fruits are useless on all that I've seen.

Chokecherry (tree) has a beautiful trunk, very reddish brown and shiny, with short white dashes. Boring yellow leaves fall in winter.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:45 PM

169 posts, read 398,515 times
I think that this is a Prunus laurent(something), commonly called Portugeuse Laurel or English Laurel, altho' the latter may have another name.

It is quite common in the Willamette Valley of Oregon where it is used for large hedges and can be shaped into a tree. It is evergreen and scatters seedlings like crazy in moist ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden