Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 AM

153 posts, read 860,518 times

Advertisements

I need all the advice I can get. I have the horrid bugs come into my home only 1 or 2 at a time. If I will that 1 only 1 returns the next night. I usually only see it at night, but today I saw 1 in the day time.

They freak me out. They are huge.

I cannot find any holes where they are coming in.

I usually grab the vacuum and suck him up. That grosses me out.

I need them out of the house. OUT OUT OUT.
Any suggestions?

Help me please. How do I keep them out?

The house is clean, they do not seem to be looking for food but they sure love my ceiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 11:08 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,334 times
You must be in Floreeduh.
Call an exterminator. That will keep them at bay for a while and don't leave any food sitting out and take out the trash promptly.
Even still you will find them periodically. When I lived in Florida I found once crawling out of the dishwasher. And there was this time we were eating at a restaurant down there and roach was crawling on the ceiling. Just as I noticed it, it fell into the plate of the person sitting next to me.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:13 AM

Actually I am in North Carolina.
I know an exterminator will work but temporary. I need to know how to keep them away forever.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:14 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
We use ortho home defense. We spray the perimeter of the house, the window frames and door frames. I also sprayed the bathrooms and the kitchen floor near the baseboards. This usually keeps them at bay for about 6 months.

Like you I find one or two occasionally and it creeps me out too.(Shuddering, yuck)

Good luck.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:23 AM

I feel your shudder. Its amazing that these pests do not bite or hurt you and yet cause such fear. And yet if I found a black widow in the house it would not bug me anywhere near as much.
Do you know if its safe for me to spray that stuff since I have 2 small dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
We use ortho home defense. We spray the perimeter of the house, the window frames and door frames. I also sprayed the bathrooms and the kitchen floor near the baseboards. This usually keeps them at bay for about 6 months.

Like you I find one or two occasionally and it creeps me out too.(Shuddering, yuck)

Good luck.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:33 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
I've had them crawl right up out of the shower drain!!!!!! If you don't use all your baths, they crawl right out of the sewer!!! YUK!!!! Since I'm not a year round resident of Florida and only go down in the winter, the shower/tubs don't get regular use.

I was sitting on the hopper and this stupid thing was about 3" long and came up out of the shower drain and beaned me right on the head as it took flight!!!!!!! DISGUSTING!!!! lol

Make sure you run your showers/tubs etc., to keep that from happening.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
It's not possible to keep them away forever. It will be a lifelong battle. Honestly, you don't want a house that's completely, 100% sealed tight, anyway. Call an exterminator. If you don't want the chemicals inside your house, you can perhaps begin the battle with outside spray. Don't know if that will work, but that's what I do to keep my spider, centipede, and ant population down out here in the west. I have small children and don't want chemicals in the house.

Good luck! I used to live in Florida and those cockroaches were just the nastiest things!

Old 07-03-2009, 04:05 PM

593 posts, read 2,893,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
Actually I am in North Carolina.
I know an exterminator will work but temporary. I need to know how to keep them away forever.
Keeping them away forever will need to be a regular part of your ongoing home maintenance regimen. Have an exterminator come every 3 months and you probably won't find very many roaches. Not live ones anyway.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:35 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
This stuff works great. You lightly sprinkle along your baseboards with a plastic spoon. Use a paint brush to brush it in. Wipe up visible residue. Be very careful if you have pets and /or kids. Keep out of reach of both.

Roach Control with Roach Prufe

Old 07-04-2009, 06:26 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
You must be in Floreeduh.
Hey....you say that like it is a bad thing!

Seriously, I thought it sounded like Florida also. I saw a palmetto bug the other day in the laundry room that was about as big as a small mouse. From what I can tell, spraying curbs the problem....but doesn't make it totally go away. I had no idea the same problems existed so far north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden