Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:51 AM

593 posts, read 2,895,036 times

Advertisements

Well apparently roaches can be pretty bad up farther north. even in NYC.
Those humid cities along the coast must have roaches even farther north.

I was in Maryland last month at a campground and these flying roaches where big pain in the butt. That whole midatlantic region is very humid. Compared to back home in North georgia anyway it's not nearly as humid here and I can't remember the last time I saw a roach here in georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
I feel your shudder. Its amazing that these pests do not bite or hurt you and yet cause such fear. And yet if I found a black widow in the house it would not bug me anywhere near as much.
Do you know if its safe for me to spray that stuff since I have 2 small dogs?
I spoke to someone at the hardware store where I bought the stuff and they said that once it dried it was fine. So when I sprayed outside the dog was banned inside. Then once the outside dried the dog went out until it dried. If you are worried talk to an exterminator. They should know the ins and outs of it.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Those things gross me out.
When I was a kid, every time my Mom saw any type of black bug...she would scream. I guess that's where I get the Heebie-Jeebies.
Then I did see that movie LONG ago where roaches come out of this guys body
I didn't know anything like that would be in the movie. Back it went. YUCK !!!

Lickily we never have anything like that in our home. KNOCK ON WOOD !!!
Hope we never do.

Other than June bugs...oh gads those things almost give me another heart attack. I just can't deal with those bugs.

Good luck getting rid of your bugs. All I can say is we have lots of toads & lizards, maybe they eat them. I don't know.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:08 PM

648 posts, read 3,091,054 times
i live in phoenix, az and i get those big ugly things in my house occasionally tooo!! yuck! they are quite prevalent in the metro area here. the woman who owned my house before me had her house sprayed (inside and out) monthly by an extermination service. since, i noticed that even after living here for 13 years without the extermination service these bugs seem partially dead by the time i see them so at least they're easy to kill....they don't run very fast!! lol! i think if you had a service spray occasionally you might reduce the amount that get in your house and slow down the ones that do!!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
stuff works really great! When I lived in the deep south, I had an ongoing war with the nasty,flying bugs!! Creeps me out that they fly.
Leaving food out has zilch to do with them coming in. They aren't really roaches.
They can flatten out and get in through the teeniest spots
I lived by pecan trees and they were all in those but chose to come into MY house at will.
One night I came down my drive and the headlights shined on the side of my house and there-OMG-were hundreds of them all over the side of my house. I FrEaKeD!!! Now, after that I did call Orkin to come spray the outside.
Inside though the Roach Prufe was awesome.

They live outside as a general rule of thumb, in trees. If they get too numerous,as mine did, it's best to have a professional deal with the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
This stuff works great. You lightly sprinkle along your baseboards with a plastic spoon. Use a paint brush to brush it in. Wipe up visible residue. Be very careful if you have pets and /or kids. Keep out of reach of both.

Roach Control with Roach Prufe

Old 07-06-2009, 05:49 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
Quote:
Actually I am in North Carolina.
I know an exterminator will work but temporary. I need to know how to keep them away forever.
Burn the place down and then rebuild.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I'm in CA and never really had an issue until one summer several years ago when they started coming into the garage from a gap under the door. Always in the evening. I had a cat who would sit in wait then pounce on them and bring them inside via the cat door. And every morning I found a dead one (or half of one depending on how hungry the cat was) on my living room floor. This went on for the entire summer and later that year the neighbor tore out a bunch of juniper bushses that were next to my garage and they didn't come back after that. I occasionally see them outside in the dirt if I let water soak in too long, but never in the house or garage again.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:59 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Burn the place down and then rebuild.

I'm with you trishquard..hate them bugs.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Get an exterminator and have them spray every month. Also, these bugs are attracted to water - like if you have a pet's water bowl on the floor, and they are attracted to stacks of things like firewood or old magazines and newspapers. Occasionally I get these nasty things in my house too, so I did a bunch of research on them.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:33 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,693 times
I'm in NC too. Don't let all the "uneducated advice" spook you. LOL. You can get rid of them and stay rid of them. DM me if you'd like....or read all the silly suggestions from "armchair" exterminators. I've been in the business for 26 years and have a company in the Charlotte area.

Quote:
Actually I am in North Carolina.
I know an exterminator will work but temporary. I need to know how to keep them away forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden