Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 PM

207 posts, read 354,080 times

Advertisements

I will be moving in about a month to a new home. The issue at hand is that there is huge room which can easily be two normal size rooms, living room/dining room. I was thinking about using tall huge plants as dividers (just an idea). Anyone have any suggestions of what plants I can use for this. All types of plants recommendations or other ideas are welcome. There is plenty of sunlight/windows. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,649,903 times
Maybe a Fiddle Leaf Fig

Outstanding Interior Plants (http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/interiorscape/Ficus_lyrata.html - broken link)

Old 09-17-2008, 06:59 AM

665 posts, read 1,927,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotchildintheCity View Post
I will be moving in about a month to a new home. The issue at hand is that there is huge room which can easily be two normal size rooms, living room/dining room. I was thinking about using tall huge plants as dividers (just an idea). Anyone have any suggestions of what plants I can use for this. All types of plants recommendations or other ideas are welcome. There is plenty of sunlight/windows. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
My husband had a rubber tree that grew large.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:12 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,405,705 times
I tend to stay away from large plants that drop leaves...I use palms...as long as they get light and humidity, they don't grow too fast and are not messy

Old 09-17-2008, 08:16 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,063,528 times
Bamboo in long troughs would be a good screen, they don't drop too many leaves...lots of varieties to choose from....very fast-growing too, but easy to keep trimmed.

ABS - Growing Bamboo Indoors

http://www.jmbamboo.com/indoor_bamboo.php (broken link)

http://www.lewisbamboo.com/indoor-bamboo.html

Last edited by southdown; 09-17-2008 at 08:40 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 AM

23,607 posts, read 70,467,118 times
Ficus will withstand a lot of abuse, and you have had some other good suggestions, but remember that indoor plants can harbor pests and the soil can harbor molds. Growing plants indoors is generally not a "bring 'em in and forget 'em" deal.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:50 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,038,527 times
...if you decide to use palms... here are a few recommended for indoor culture:

Kentia palm (Howea sp.) widely used parlor-type palm..grows moder-
-ately fast over time

Lady palm (Rhapsis excelsa and sp.)a slower grower will tolerate alot of what being grown in the house can throw at them..nicely divided fingerlike foliage..

butterfly palm group (Dypsis lutescens,& albofarnosa) the first is a widely grown feather type palm which will do well indoors if given enough light..spider mites can be troublesome but are easily controlled..the next in this group only reciently came onto the market..it also looks
like D. lutesc. but is a little thinner..but also has a nicely shaped/colored crownshaft..

both can be brought outdoors during summer if so desired..

pygmy date palm(Phoenix roebelinii).. a rising star in many areas where a dwarf-
-feather-leaved palm type is desired...can be grown indoors as well..as long as it gets plenty of light..

Chamaedorea sp. this group includes the all too common cataract palm,bamboo palm(not a Dypsis) and many low growers including the metallic palm.. most will tolerate indoor culture..

ones to avoid:...

Archontophoenix(king palms)...and Majesty palms(Ravenea rivularis)..both do not tolerate indoor culture well..dispite what some one at homedepot will tell you...

majesty palms are notoriously fussy,need constant moisture and fertilizer
and pout inside a house..king palms aren't made to be grown inside..
period..

if you decide to go with palms,..look up jungle music palms and cycads
online..there are articles on growing palms inside and in containers..

Old 09-17-2008, 07:25 PM

207 posts, read 354,080 times
Thank you all for the suggestions! When it comes to plants I am literally clueless. This information will be very helpful once I move in.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:36 PM

220 posts, read 1,109,774 times
How about a White Bird of Paradise? It has leaves like a banana tree but it can be very elegant.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Bamboo in long troughs would be a good screen, they don't drop too many leaves...lots of varieties to choose from....very fast-growing too, but easy to keep trimmed.

ABS - Growing Bamboo Indoors

Bamboo for Indoors @ jmBamboo Nursery: Welcome! (http://www.jmbamboo.com/indoor_bamboo.php - broken link)

Indoor Bamboo
I like this idea! I can see some plants at the base of the bamboo.

I have a thirty year old pony tail that is fabulous. I highly recommend a plant you plan to have for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden