Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 12:52 PM

845 posts, read 1,354,722 times

Advertisements

I recently received, and also have for a while, a few house plants. I usually look this information up, but for Gardenias, there was so much to go by. I just didn't know which was the right way.

For the Gardenias, I have it on my kitchen table. It sits near the sliding glass door. It gets about 6 hours of bright light during the day; indirect light. The rest of the day, the Sun is on the other side of my apartment. It has about 7-10 blooms on it, but it doesn't do anything but create new leaves and blooms. The original blooms have gotten bigger, too. One is the size of my thumb with no signs of it popping open any time soon.

The other is a Easter Cactus. Again, I've seen multiple ways to make this bloom but they're all not the same way. I had this sitting in front of my bedroom window but moved it to my bathroom to remove it from any Sun light.

I recently got the Gardenia a few weeks ago, but my theory on that is if it hasn't bloomed sense I got it from the store, it won't bloom at all. As for the cactus; I had this guy for a while and it only bloomed once, and not on my own. What I'm looking for is some assistance on how to care for these correctly, if anybody has these plants and what you did to make them bloom again and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 12:59 PM

878 posts, read 2,745,446 times
I am looking forward to this reply....I just got an orchid and I placed it on a table right by 5 windows so it gets ample sunlight daily. I water it once a week and it is in one of those moss/rock glass pots. I am hoping I don't kill it.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM

845 posts, read 1,354,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I am looking forward to this reply....I just got an orchid and I placed it on a table right by 5 windows so it gets ample sunlight daily. I water it once a week and it is in one of those moss/rock glass pots. I am hoping I don't kill it.
How hard are those to take care of? I always see them at the store and assume they're that special plant; special enough to only bloom once a year, if the conditions are right for about five days. If they're not, the plant just dies.

Am I assuming correctly? Are they that hard to care for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden