Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 10:46 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's vigorous because the heritage root stock's system has gone feral now that the graft is dead and gone. Like Diana's crabapple root stock did after the apple tree was cut off.

If you're convinced it is almond you better plant another almond to go with it otherwise you won't get any fruit off it. Two different types of almond trees are needed for correct pollination and the production of fruit (in spite of them having both male and female parts on each flower). Since you don't know what type yours is (or if it even is an almond) if it doesn't fruit out, I'd suggest you get a companion almond for cross pollination next year, one that has white flowers instead of pink then you'll be assured it is different.

I personally think it's a peach rootstock gone feral, I don't think it's an almond because you haven't said if you have any other almonds on the property - do you have almond trees very close nearby? But you did say that last summer your tree had produced some fruits that all dropped before reaching maturity. If it had been an almond with no companion almond tree and no cross-pollination then it would have never produced any kinds of fruits at all, whether they reached maturity or not. Ergo, unless you have other almonds very close by it is not an almond. But it might be peach-almond hybrid rootstock. Here is a wee bit of information about the types of heritage rootstock that is used for grafting and it mentions peach-almond rootstock there. https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...rootstock.html .
Almond, Peach, or Plum, either way I will be happy to find out this summer

I have a new name for this tree now, instead of "mystery tree", I will now call it a "feral fruit tree"

Not sure if I have another Almond tree nearby since I am in a residential neighborhood so I guess I will wait till summer to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Well, I had to look up prunus mume (duh), but the pink blossoms look like my one plum tree. They are gorgeous, but spring comes late where I live, so no blooms yet. Also, the plums are so sour that they are inedible.

Please keep us posted!

Edit, I just saw your locale. I don't know if you're coastal or inland, but there isn't much you can"t grow, I lived there most of my life.

So, it could possibly be a peach, they need warmth & lots of sunshine, which I don"t have much of now, that is why I think my peach tree failed. The best peaches I ever ate were from groves in Texas Hill Country.

I never knew of cherries in your locale, it's too hot.

Do you have any citrus besides the Mexican lime, or avocados? Wow, do I ever miss growing those!
Thanks! I will

I am in inland CA so I do get enough chill hours for the fruit trees. I am keeping my fingers crossed for my Lapin Cherry. The net says it will take 4-7 years for fruit production so I will need to be patient.

I don't have other citrus besides the Mexican Lime but I plan to get more. For some reason, I am not successful in growing Kiefer Lime here. I tried it 3 times and they'll live for a few months then suddenly they all dropped their leaves and died. I had them in Alabama and they were happy both indoors and out. I have to move the citrus indoors here during winters as it tends to get below freezing at night.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We grew Loquats when we were in California. Loquats are awesome. Probably my favorite fruit. But they do not keep well so you cannot find them in stores.
I've seen lots of Loquats growing in Florida but not as much here. My parents have Loguats in their backyard here locally so I try not to duplicate what they have They do grow well in this climate.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:08 AM

The weather has warmed up considerably recently and just yesterday I peeked into the backyard and saw the Cherry tree has blossomed.

Take a look at this bloom. Other than the color it looks remarkably like the "feral tree's" bloom.

I can see why some say it could be a Cherry

The mystery continues

Old 04-07-2021, 08:11 PM

Now the blooms are over, I see little fruits on our "feral mystery fruit tree"

Just for a comparison, this is the neighboring Peach tree fruit . I can see the similarity

This is the Plum tree. Sorry to those who guessed Plum

We will wait a few more weeks for further development

Last edited by HB2HSV; 04-07-2021 at 08:52 PM..

Old 04-08-2021, 03:15 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
They are fuzzy, so peaches or almonds.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,930 times
I wanted to revive this thread, because I really want to know what your tree is, HB2HSV!

Have you figured it out yet?

Old 05-21-2021, 10:10 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
I wanted to revive this thread, because I really want to know what your tree is, HB2HSV!

I second that, I'm curious about what that tree will prove to be too.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Thank you for asking! This morning I went out to take some photos to post.

The fruits are coming nicely. But they don't get big like I was used to with peach so I have my doubt. Unfortunately the peach tree next to it have no peaches this year so I can't compare side by side. I guess it's lots of fruit one year then no fruits the next so to rest up.

The mystery continues. We'll find out later in the summer. Meantime, Let me know what you think it is?

Meantime, my cherry is coming beautifully!

Old 05-21-2021, 10:13 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
I still think it looks like it could be an apricot tree.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden