Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 05:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
So, you have no clue. Just throwing out wild a$$ guesses.

Moving on.
If you look back from your first post on this topic you'll see that I've offered several good responses and good clues to you as have many others who responded to you and you've kind of sluffed them all off as negligible to you..... like this --> But everybody is guessing, apparently yourself included as you have already claimed to be guessing from the start, and you still haven't taken proper steps to have it identified by a professional although you have had more than plenty of time to make the effort and now you're back here doing your guessing games again and getting cocky about it.

So put your own wild a$$ guesses where your mouth is and bite into some more of those mystery fruits and show us their bare pits, nice and clean from all angles, so we can see what the pits look like. If you can manage it also split a pit open into its 2 halves so the bare kernel inside of the pit can be seen and assessed. And take some of those bare pits and kernels in with your sample branch to show to a professional.

And for your knowledgeable gardening friend's information there is no such thing as a variety of peach called "green peach". A variety or species or even a hybrid of such does not exist, although there are one or two varieties of peach that have white flesh after they have ripened. There are all kinds of varieties of peaches, apricots, plums and other stone fruits that get picked while they are still green and unripened so they can be processed in various ways as I described above with the processing of Prunus mume. They have to be processed for safety of edibility if they are green and unripe. But there is no species or variety or hybrid of peach that is naturally green when it is ripe and edible, particularly not when some varieties of stone fruits including peaches can be highly toxic if they are consumed fresh when they are not yet properly ripe and the stone is still soft and the fruit is still greenish in colour. Tell your friend that too so she doesn't cause harm by misinforming somebody else.

And yes thanks, I'm moving on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Anyone who has grown peaches, knows this is a peach, it's not even questionable. BTW, peach leaves and apricot leaves look nothing alike.
That has been discussed last year and the OP already knows that, and the leaves have still not been properly identified since they don't look exactly like peach leaves either but do look like some species of hybrid apricot as well as hybrid almond leaves. The flowers don't look like peach, apricot, almond or any other flowers either. There are no parts of the tree that have been definitively identified as being this, that or the other. It IS a real mystery tree.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:11 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If you look back from your first post on this topic you'll see that I've offered several good responses and good clues to you as have many others who responded to you and you've kind of sluffed them all off as negligible to you..... like this --> But everybody is guessing, apparently yourself included as you have already claimed to be guessing from the start, and you still haven't taken proper steps to have it identified by a professional although you have had more than plenty of time to make the effort and now you're back here doing your guessing games again and getting cocky about it.

So put your own wild a$$ guesses where your mouth is and bite into some more of those mystery fruits and show us their bare pits, nice and clean from all angles, so we can see what the pits look like. If you can manage it also split a pit open into its 2 halves so the bare kernel inside of the pit can be seen and assessed. And take some of those bare pits and kernels in with your sample branch to show to a professional.

And for your knowledgeable gardening friend's information there is no such thing as a variety of peach called "green peach". A variety or species or even a hybrid of such does not exist, although there are one or two varieties of peach that have white flesh after they have ripened. There are all kinds of varieties of peaches, apricots, plums and other stone fruits that get picked while they are still green and unripened so they can be processed in various ways as I described above with the processing of Prunus mume. They have to be processed for safety of edibility if they are green and unripe. But there is no species or variety or hybrid of peach that is naturally green when it is ripe and edible, particularly not when some varieties of stone fruits including peaches can be highly toxic if they are consumed fresh when they are not yet properly ripe and the stone is still soft and the fruit is still greenish in colour. Tell your friend that too so she doesn't cause harm by misinforming somebody else.

And yes thanks, I'm moving on.

Well, apparently you're wrong.

Quote:
Green peaches look very much like fresh almonds and are about the size of a large olive. The young fruits are 5 to 7 centimeters long and 3 centimeters around and have a small, stiff stem. They have a light green skin with the characteristic, fuzzy exterior of a peach, giving the fruit a silver-grey look. Green peaches are firm and crisp. The pit within is still undeveloped and soft. The young fruit has a tart-sour taste, without bitterness. The entire fruit, including the pit, is generally considered more palatable once pickled or cooked.
https://specialtyproduce.com/produce...ches_13438.php

Thanks for playing.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:45 PM

The link you just posted is not describing a specific variety of peach named Green Peach, it's describing any green coloured baby or immature peaches known by their proper names, that is the point. There is no specific variety of peach known by that name. It's a description of any unripe peach of any variety by any proper name that is still green because it's still immature and sour.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The link you just posted is not describing a specific variety of peach named Green Peach, it's describing any green coloured baby or immature peaches known by their proper names, that is the point. There is no specific variety of peach known by that name. It's a description of any unripe peach of any variety by any proper name that is still green because it's still immature and sour..
Not true.

As I stated, mine was sweet and ripe.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:14 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Anyone who has grown peaches, knows this is a peach, it's not even questionable. BTW, peach leaves and apricot leaves look nothing alike.
I agree. I have a peach tree, and the leaves are identical to those.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:43 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Is this a tree from the old tree?
Is this a tree from seed?

IMO, this is a seedling tree. Plums, Prunes and Peaches are easily hybridized. Resulting fruit can be anything and have characteristics of everything. Hence one plants grafted trees.

If this tree is from existing root, then you have a variety that is selected for drought resistance, root density, and vigor-compatibility to the scion wood (dwarf, semi, fullsize tree). Any fruit is minor.
YFMV

Old 08-23-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Is this a tree from the old tree?
Is this a tree from seed?

IMO, this is a seedling tree. Plums, Prunes and Peaches are easily hybridized. Resulting fruit can be anything and have characteristics of everything. Hence one plants grafted trees.

If this tree is from existing root, then you have a variety that is selected for drought resistance, root density, and vigor-compatibility to the scion wood (dwarf, semi, fullsize tree). Any fruit is minor.
YFMV
It's not a grafted tree for sure. It may very well be a seedling tree like you said.

It was here when I purchased the house, barely stems of branches poking out from the soil. The gardener was going to dig it out, but I decided to keep it. It then grew vigorously.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:06 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
If its sweet, then you have characteristics of a green gage plum (green flesh) and peach (fuzzy). My guess is more plum than peach. If you don't like the fruit, then graft this winter.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
If its sweet, then you have characteristics of a green gage plum (green flesh) and peach (fuzzy). My guess is more plum than peach. If you don't like the fruit, then graft this winter.
You know, it does taste closer to plum than peach, and the texture is similarto plum other than the color. I think you’re guess is not far off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden