Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 02:34 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

I apologize for no updates... My last post was August 10th here. Makes sense since Summer pretty much killed me this year and I started feeling SAD around that time. I didn't care about the garden or the weather for that matter and that says a lot.

Cucumbers didn't do well so I pulled them by mid August.

All I'm picking now is Tomatoes, Peppers, and Eggplants. And I'm about to pull up all plants since nothing is blooming anymore and producing. I'm done as well. Bring on winter!

Todays harvest

Last weeks canning

Picture from 2 weeks ago

... Oh.......... The weeds? Screw that!! In the garden, around the house, I couldn't be outside as the humidity and heat was killing me so I said screw it

I doubt I'll do another update...Maybe when I dismantle and clean everything up...If I forget... See you all next year I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 03:19 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Cambium, good to hear about the EGGPLANTS! At least you finally got THOSE to grow this year as I know they've been problematic in the past.

I always enjoy your garden threads, no matter what your yields end up being. I learn a lot and you are usually so cheerful in explaining things! I'm sorry you had some crappy yields this year. Weird weather.

Just wanted to thank you for a very enjoyable thread.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:32 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Whoa! Easy on the winter thing cam. But I do understand how you feel about this year's growing season. It was absolutely horrid. I stopped growing veggies three years back, and now concentrate on plants for the critters. 95% of all my plants are perennials. Many were stunted with half the flower production. Some set flowers, and then when to seed in a blink of an eye. And some just stayed in permanent wilt mode. Then the weeds showed up due to all the open space in the beds. Yes quite depressing for sure. Until next spring my friend. Stay well.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:55 AM

This weather is beautiful!! Low 70s, Dew points in the low 50s, and Wind! Figure I spend time pulling weeds. OUT OF CONTROL!

I'm not even close to being done and the pile is growing!

Took a break on that side, started in the garden beds.... See anything?????

How about now??

SHAME ON ME!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid Home Cheapo hay has weed seeds!!!! So pissed. No wonder why I had more this yr then any other year.

Before...

After .... I forgot I had Fennel growing in there.

Getting better but still not done......

Different pile... Crazy! No way its going into my compost pile. I made sure I didn't shake them too much back into the soil. Ugh. Either they go into the woods or just mow them into this area the grass doesn't grow.

At least its not summer anymore!! Brutal period we went through

Old 09-17-2016, 11:35 AM

I'm back. Since our lows have been dropping into the 50s recently and day time staying below 75 I have been revived!!! lol Man that was brutal. 2 straight months of high heat and humidity.

Quick update:

Remember the cardboard I layed down back in March? Bio Degraded. Only small part left that was between the pavers. Funny how it broke down on its own without water or sun or anything else.

Pretty much all I have left... been cleaning up little by little each day

Some Hot peppers around.. Nothing is blooming so whatever is left, that's it.

Pepper Pots put away. Weeds pulled. Soil Raked. Pavers stacked. Ready for winter...

Kale, Carrots & Fennel in picture.

My last home grown Tomato salad today? Probably a couple more left still.

Fall is in the air...and first frost is around the corner.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:37 PM

Just picked those ripe peppers I had.. some were left on too long and so a couple of red ones are very soft.

Thought about canning them but for 1 Jar? I will just freeze them.

Here's some more Fall Colors.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:45 AM

Peppers very easy to preserve/store..

Just put cut or put whole peppers into zip lock, fold, push down and let air out, freeze. No blanching necessary. After I cut the tip off I took the little pith & seeds out but didn't with the smaller ones obviously because its tougher..Not a big deal.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:01 AM

Oh yeah.... and there's this... Last ones. See it?

How about now? So what do I do with them if I'm not ready to cook with them?

Cut tips off and Peel

Slice. Hurry up cause they brown FAST!

Place them in boiling water with lemon juice for 4 minutes to blanch.

Drain

Dunk in Cold Water and ice for 2-3 minutes until they are cold

Drain, try to pat dry but hurry up...

Put in a zip lock bag and let all the air out as much as you can. The color isn't like it was but it's freshly preserved home grown Eggplants. You can simply take them out one by one in the winter and cook some Eggplant Parm or whatever.

Now I can clean up that area in the garden. Little by little we're almost all done. Then time to winterize and bring firewood closer.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:26 AM

And here we are... November 5th...

Just picked the very last of the peppers. Had 3 plants that still had some on there (no new growth). Now officially all done. Ready for winter!

Old 11-05-2016, 07:45 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
And here we are... November 5th...

Just picked the very last of the peppers. Had 3 plants that still had some on there (no new growth). Now officially all done. Ready for winter!

Very nice.

I grew peppers one year, I think I'll grow some next year.

Pulled out all my tomato plants, still eating fresh tomatoes from my garden,
I have bunch still ripening in basement.
They were smaller this year due to lack rainfall, even my beefsteak ones were small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden