Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 05:27 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Been a while. Time to update:

June 10, 2016

Lets see.. Low 50s yesterday morning. 40s this morning. Dewpoints in the 20s (bone dry air), strong winds. Lack of temps in 70s (Its either been 80s or 60s during the day)

We are about 2 weeks behind last year here. This year is reminding me why I wonder why I do all this for just 2-3 months worth.

Anyway .. here we go...

Fava Beans. Ants and Aphids gone. Still waiting for the pods.

Close up

Broccoli Rabe all bolted when it was in the 80s last week. Planted too late, waste of space.

Cauliflower. Seeing progress but slow. Probably confused with temps either being in the 80s or 60s. No consistency or middle ground

Potatoes. Still looking awesome.. Probably another 4 weeks to harvest

Snap Peas. 1st time growing them. Way different then String Beans. These seem more delicate, thinner, and picky about soil and weather.

Snap Pea Closeup:

Hot Peppers: No consistent heat, Lack of sun. Little growth. None are flowering. Only tiny buds trying to make an appearance.

Hot Pepper Close up of the only one producing something. "Bala Sweet"

Cucumbers: Really? Makes sense. Lack of sun lately and no consistent heat. I was picking cukes last year in June.

Cucumber close up. Cardboard still holding up holding weeds down.

Onions. Can't imagine they are going to be big without heat around. We'll see.

Bell Peppers. Slowly but surely.

Eggplants. Slowly but surely. At least it's alive. Always a challenge past few years

Radish... Will harvest them all today. They deter beetles so will replant seeds.

Tomatoes: Slowly but surely. Buds are on every plant and some opening

Tomato close up.

One more close up

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 10:45 AM

My first harvest of 2016. Radish

Got some nice moderate rains here so everything drinking nicely although hasn't been hot at all. Low 50s again this morning. 60s at lunchtime. 70s for the max.

Rain against the Spruce

Old 06-11-2016, 10:52 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Those fava bean flowers are very pretty. My tomatoes have flowers for the third time. I hope that's the charm. It's been too cold for anything to happen, but hot today. Crossing my fingers.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:12 AM

Turning my compost pile today. Ton of worms in it which is awesome.

From left to right. Always Incredible to see how fast leaves, grass, Hay, and food scraps turn to soil! This was a huge pile of leaves.

Close up. Is it me or do I find this so sexy? (Sexy Soil? )

Interesting what I found as I was turning it. A small section underneath did not break down. Not enough heat, air, or microbes! leaves were still whole.

All done. Now I sit and wait. In couple months will spread the soil in the garden

Old 06-12-2016, 07:36 AM

Compost Comparison...

November 7
December 8
April 10
May 18
June 12

Old 06-12-2016, 02:00 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Sexy? Absolutely. My last house had a perfect spot to compost. I used to get quite a rush digging in that pile. This house, I'm dealing with everyone else's trees, and cannot get the pile hot enough. So now I resort to buying it from the locals. Sad ):

Old 06-12-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Sexy? Absolutely. My last house had a perfect spot to compost. I used to get quite a rush digging in that pile. This house, I'm dealing with everyone else's trees, and cannot get the pile hot enough. So now I resort to buying it from the locals. Sad ):
Glad I'm not the only one. My pile is in the shade most of the day (Only like 2 hours of sun). It got to 125 degrees last I checked. You don't need the pile to be in the sun. Just the right height, size, and material. Don't let the trees make you stop.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
It all looks great. I wonder if the roots are growing stronger even if the leaves look puny. And most of your plants look like they're thriving. Mine, on the other hand...

I really love the picture of the rain!!

Old 06-12-2016, 05:15 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
My compost pile was never big enough to stay hot. It didn't get much sun, but that was OK because it rarely dried out in the summer. I had to deal with a lot of trees, and though it could be annoying, I never had to look for something to throw on the pile. I used to vac, shred them all summer. I never had enough green material, though.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:21 AM

Weekly Update: June 18, 2016

Summary: Cool and Dry with only a couple of muggy days. Jet Stream keeps digging down in the Northeast bringing dry cool Canadian air to the area.

Last time I had decent rains was on the 5th. 13 days ago. None for another 3 more days so quite the dry pattern we been in. We had a couple of downpours on the 9th and 11th but less than 1/4" fell.

Record clouds and cool to start May. Cool and Dry June. Cucumbers, Peppers and Onions well behind previous years. Tomatoes thriving but not as big with yields as previous years.

Speaking of diving Jet Streams.....lets dive into some photos from this morning .

Sugar Snap Peas...see anything?

Close up. Mmmm

Closer up.

Hot Peppers in pots are flowering on some of the plants. We haven't had many 80s or hot days so they aren't growing as fast.

Pretty Purple Hot Pepper got some pretty blooms.

Cucumbers. You can scroll up to last week and notice the growth difference but if you look at previous years you'll say WOW, they aren't growing. #noheat

Tomatoes unbelievable deep green and all with flowers now.

Campari.

Cauliflower and Potatoes.

Of course... My arch enemy... the Eggplant.. Just don't get it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden