Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times

Advertisements

Frankie Avalon played the character "Potato Bug" in the movie "Bikini Beach".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,380,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
As several people noted they have seen them in CA but rarely see them, if at all, all the way up north in WA. Their natural habitat is the hotter part of the west and southwest as far east as the Oklahoma panhandle, parts of Texas and down into Mexico. They don't like the cold much so points east of there they just don't exist naturally. Their other, much more common name is Jerusalem cricket and your description of them is pretty right on. I've never seen one in person but have seen them in entomology lab and can imagine seeing one up close and in person in your garden might be very memorable.

While they aren't aggressive they have been known to have a painful bite when cornered or threatened. If you want some fairly down to earth information on what they are, and more, try reading this from the Calafornia Academy of Sciences: http://www.calacademy.org/science_no...m_crickets.php

If you have problems with them in your garden this is an excellent site for remedies (they work with other members of the cricket and grasshopper family as well and are less toxic to the environment and you).
Natural Remedy to Kill Potato Bugs | Home Guides | SF Gate

ArkansasSlim since the bug the OP mentioned is not naturally found in your area and tends to be only out at night I am wondering if what you had to pick off the plants were Potato Beetles. The following is a closeup of them from the University of Florida website:

They are a serious pest that seems to be able to resist just about every method of getting rid of them.

There was time in our youth where people smoked like chimneys and dumped toxic chemicals right and left because they didn't know better and it worked on the pests of the day so beautifully. Many people paid with it by getting cancers and horrible neurological disorders but we all know at least a few people who seemed to survive it all without getting sick. I'm sure you are grateful to be among them.
Yep, grateful for that, and those are the bugs we picked. If I had only a penny for each one I picked over the years - WOW - I could have retired early

Old 11-04-2013, 10:30 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,216 times
This potato bug thing has been fun. What bug are we going pick on next??
Just a silly thought on a rainy eve in Oregon....

Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Name this bug.... hint; it has a garden themed name.

(photo credit this was taken from Bug Guide)

Alternative view:

(photo from the University of Arkansas)

Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Some sort of cricket.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:18 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
I had never seen this one before, so I looked it up on Dr. Art Evans' site.

Spoiler

Greenhouse stone cricket.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Well mamh I tried. It's your turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Some sort of cricket.
Yes you got that part right. This will have to do for your gold star:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
I had never seen this one before, so I looked it up on Dr. Art Evans' site.

Spoiler

Greenhouse stone cricket.
LOL You got it too easily. There are actually several common names it goes by; Camel Cricket, Camel Greenhouse Cricket are the others.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:35 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,216 times
I peaked at the answer!!!
Must find a bug book......

Old 11-07-2013, 04:57 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
I peaked at the answer!!!
Must find a bug book......
I can send you a camel cricket, mamh, or as many as you want! They are quite common in our area - scary looking insects, can jump over a foot high, and are quick. Our detached garage was loaded with those jumpin' jacks yesterday when I was putting my garden tools away. Their cover is soft, and if they can be approached from behind, a fly swatter surprises them. Now, back to the subject - potato bugs aren't seen often here.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
I've only seen one of these and it was dead, but I thought it looked like something from outer space or made out of spare parts from other insects. Are they common anywhere?

AND
https://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/201...lla/a92efe.jpg
Ohhh, we have these ugly buggers. Tbey are qjite common. They help keep the birds fat, the chickens vobble them, and scorpions too, with gusto. They think they are a delicacy. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden