Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times

Advertisements

I have milkweed growing like crazy and no monarchs yet this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
...and other butterflies,bees,etc. I would like to encourage everyone to do all you can to plant native flowers that attract Monarchs & honeybees,as they are being seriously decimated by the increased use of chemicals & loss of habitat.

Monarch Watch : Monarch Waystation Program

Tracking the Causes of Sharp <br/> Decline of the Monarch Butterfly by Richard Conniff: Yale Environment 360

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/sc...n-decades.html

I have seen very few bees this year,and only 4 Monarchs. So very sad.
Thanks, for the suggestions: we must be lucky, we have all kinds of butterflies this year, maybe not a lot of any one kind, but we do have them. As for bees, we do not see them like we used to, but we are seeing and hearing a few more the past few weeks. What we don't have as many of this year, which is fine with most everyone, are the red wasps. Last year they were everywhere, this year we have only seen a handful.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:39 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks, for the suggestions: we must be lucky, we have all kinds of butterflies this year, maybe not a lot of any one kind, but we do have them. As for bees, we do not see them like we used to, but we are seeing and hearing a few more the past few weeks. What we don't have as many of this year, which is fine with most everyone, are the red wasps. Last year they were everywhere, this year we have only seen a handful.
We have a lot of different bees as well as the honeybees, and plenty of butterflies this year, too. We saw a big crash in their numbers a few years ago, the year after the area was blazing hot and dry for more than a year with a major drought. In spite of extensive heat last year we still were received enough rain and so far this year has been abundantly rainy and cool and the bugs and butterflies are back in bigger numbers. I was surprised at how many different bees we actually have when I looked at some of my close up photos.

After repeated droughts in many states over the last few years there seem to be many species that are either less numerous or even absent in some spots and still in larger numbers in others. In every honest article if you read far enough down past the sensational claims are the explanations of lost habitat and climate changes such as droughts. Unfortunately, lazy people with an agenda only read the first few lines and come away with the idea it is all caused by evil corporations and bad farmers out to do in the butterflies.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:05 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,308 times
TXNGL it is growing wild everywhere here, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess all we can do is try to help in whatever way we can by planting beneficial native plants and avoiding pesticides and herbicides. It takes a bit more elbow grease & creativity to grow organic, but as more & more people realize the consequences of chemical use , people are waking up. But there are still those who deny their actions have any impact on the environment at all, or are too arrogant to care. I believe those that do care outnumber those who don't.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:37 PM

Thumbs down Save the bees, too!

A bit off topic, but the bees are in severe danger as well...this truly infuriates me. I hope that beekeeper sues the pants off of who is responsible!

Quote:
Shortly after 50,000 bees were found dead in an Oregon parking lot (read more here), a staggering 37 million bees have been found dead in Elmwood, Ontario, Canada.Dave Schuit, who runs a honey operation in Elmwood has lost 600 hives. He is pointing the finger at the insecticides known as neonicotinoids, which are manufactured by Bayer CropScience Inc. This also comes after a recent report released by the British Beekeepers Association (BBKA) that recorded its largest loss of honeybees ever. You can read more about that here. The European Union has stepped forward, having ban multiple pesticides that have been linked to killing millions of bees.
Over 30 Million Bees Found Dead In Elmwood Canada | MyScienceAcademy

Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 PM

I do have lots of swallowtails this year, tons of babies even now. Just no monarchs. Hopefully they'll show. Re: bees- I'm seeing every indication that they aren't "right". I have them, but see so many walking around on my pavement like they're drunk??? I also rescued 3 black ones (don't know what they are) from my pool today. It's weird. For the record, I have no pesticides in my garden.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I do have lots of swallowtails this year, tons of babies even now. Just no monarchs. Hopefully they'll show. Re: bees- I'm seeing every indication that they aren't "right". I have them, but see so many walking around on my pavement like they're drunk??? I also rescued 3 black ones (don't know what they are) from my pool today. It's weird. For the record, I have no pesticides in my garden.

It is the Neonicotinoids in pesticides that is causing the behavior you are seeing in the "drunk" bees. They attack the bees' central nervous system, causing the effects you are seeing.

The Xerces Society » Are Neonicotinoids Killing Bees?

Basic Information | Pesticides | US EPA

Harvard has developed Robo-bees, so once they wipe out all the bees, we can have little robotic bees pollinating our food. Wonderful, eh?

Home

Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 PM

Exclamation The Vanishing of the Bees documentary

Watch free on Hulu...

[hulu=http://www.flickr.com/photos/397072]Ew2x_YNEYeBLYSSbYBuN4A[/hulu]

Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
It is the Neonicotinoids in pesticides that is causing the behavior you are seeing in the "drunk" bees. They attack the bees' central nervous system, causing the effects you are seeing.

The Xerces Society » Are Neonicotinoids Killing Bees?

Basic Information | Pesticides | US EPA

Harvard has developed Robo-bees, so once they wipe out all the bees, we can have little robotic bees pollinating our food. Wonderful, eh?

Home
Wow! Yes, I knew about the pesticides killing them, didn't know about the behavior. It's driving me nuts, not only because it's killing them, but I'm really having to watch my step in the yard. Wow. Just wow, on the robo-bees.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Wow! Yes, I knew about the pesticides killing them, didn't know about the behavior. It's driving me nuts, not only because it's killing them, but I'm really having to watch my step in the yard. Wow. Just wow, on the robo-bees.
I feel so bad for this farmer...

Canada AM: Bee crisis hits home for farmers | CTV News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden