Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 AM

218 posts, read 1,463,063 times

Advertisements

I have 4 mum plants that were given to me last month. They are no longer blooming. They are still in pots. Can I save these for next year and how? I might be moving so planting isnt an option. Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 04:33 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,552,312 times
The mums have to eventually stop blooming .. otherwise they won't have any energy to come back next year!!!

Don't panic. If the mums are indoors as houseplants and you have the space - let them stay that way. Clip back the dead blooms (dead-heading, essentially) and water the plants occasionally and make sure they get sun. They should be fine. They may eventually die back some, but this would happen outside every winter anyway - so it shouldn't hurt them.

If they are outside and you can't plant them - just make sure they are protected from a freeze. Wrap the pots in burlap, or foam, or buy the old rose styrofoam cones and put a pot in each one (styrofoam is a great insulator). If the mums are cold hardy (not all are) they will die back, but if you keep the roots from freezing, they will come back in the Spring (little green shoots at the base of the plant mass).

Good luck!! Mums are usually pretty easy ... so unless you have one of the really fragile non-cold tolerant varieties, you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden